OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reaping vs “drop back” callers

Started by JohnSouth22, May 25, 2022, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

Quote from: Howie g on May 28, 2022, 09:39:32 AM
Opinions, Opinions,,,
I disagree on the opinion that putting the sneak on a gobbler is " cheaper " then reaping ??
Personally, I've put the sneak on quite a few back in my greedy days .   Even though those days are behind me , IMO it takes way more woody skills to sneak one then to stick a fan up .
Opinions, Opinions

I would agree. I cant for the life of me fathom how anyone could consider reaping more sporting than stalking. One actually takes some skill and the other doesn't.

Zobo

Quote from: Howie g on May 27, 2022, 11:43:20 AM
Quote from: Yoder409 on May 27, 2022, 11:11:13 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 27, 2022, 10:21:17 AMIt's loin cloths and fisticuffs or nothing. #LastOfADyingBreed

(Rare footage of Chester on the hunt)

NOW we know the man behind the screen name.  :o   Fame walks among us on the OG Forums !!!!    :you_rock:

Can't Un see that !!! Lol

No,no,no, come on man! Chester would NEVER wear boots. That's soft and as everybody knows, clearly violates the old school code of conduct.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ybuck

Quote from: g8rvet on May 26, 2022, 10:12:42 PM
This is getting funny.  Now some are saying drop back calling is unethical or unsporting.  LOL.  That is funny.  Oh well, enjoy hunting the way you want.  I will drop back call if I am hunting with a buddy with zero hesitation. 

I am not sure I can keep up with all the "rules".  Maybe someone can post them for us.  This is silly.

this^^^

Sixes

Can someone post the exact ethical rules to killing a gobbler? That way I can study them before next spring.

Ive never reaped a bird, but I've used a solo "drop back" , call and run like hell back to the bird tactic several times. I did it on one this year that liked to hang up at 60-70 yards and then leave down a creek bottom for 100 yards or so and then eventually filter back. I could move and get closer and on his next trip up the creek bottom, he would hang up at a different 60-70 yard spot. This went on a few times until I dropped back and called and then went back to where I was at the last time he hung up.  He walked right by me but now I guess I was being unethical.

Howie g

Rules as per sixes request .
1. No yelping with a store bought caller , custom only .
2 . The killing of any gobbler you didn't walk at least 2 miles in for = unethical.
3 . If you didn't sleep in your truck or a pup tent the night before your hunt ? =unethical
4 . If didn't use tss and optics on your shotgun ? No way you could actually tell what you where aiming at with those old beads ! = unethical.
5. If your gloves don't match your boots Camo pattern? = unethical
6. If you didn't use " on x" to map out your hunt the night before ? = unethical
7. The celebration of a fresh dead gobbler without a cigar or atleast 30 min of explanation of your strategy to anyone who will listen ? =unethical
8. Transporting a dead gobbler in a truck without at least 4 name brands stickers on back glass ? Unethical
9. It's ok to use the reaping method if your wearing full Sitka gear , because the money spent on Camo justifies all actions ! Ethical .
10. The killing of a gobbler without posting a pic on face space within 10 minutes is not only unethical, your just a plain weirdo !
Note = these are just a few rules of the modern turkey hunter pamphlet 101 .
           Rules are subject to change after 3 pm on a Sunday ...

eggshell

I only have four rules

1. Obey the laws of your state

2. The shot must be safe and the target properly identified

3  The turkey is inside your effective killing range and your ok with how you got him there

4. Do unto other hunters as you would have them do unto you.

That's it for me, everything else is someone else's decision. I will sleep just fine with mine. In the end of all discussions on ethics our opinions are mostly drawn on our own assessment of the premise that someone is unfairly taking opportunity away from us. Fairness is a subjective standard and differs widely among people. I think we gripe the most because we feel like our chance of success is diminished because of the actions of someone else. I think deep down in our souls we are often resentful of others success and our own greed is subliminally driving our emotions. In my old age I have finally realized I am only throwing away my own enjoyment of the sport when I get so upset over what someone else does. Now that I have pissed everyone off, I wish you good health and great hunts. Here's something to distract us bitter old men https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiMQPc5aKA

Yoder409

Quote from: Howie g on May 29, 2022, 06:02:38 AM
2 . The killing of any gobbler you didn't walk at least 2 miles in for = unethical.
3 . If you didn't sleep in your truck or a pup tent the night before your hunt ? =unethical
4 . If didn't use tss and optics on your shotgun ? No way you could actually tell what you where aiming at with those old beads ! = unethical.
6. If you didn't use " on x" to map out your hunt the night before ? = unethical
7. The celebration of a fresh dead gobbler without a cigar or atleast 30 min of explanation of your strategy to anyone who will listen ? =unethical
8. Transporting a dead gobbler in a truck without at least 4 name brands stickers on back glass ? Unethical
9. It's ok to use the reaping method if your wearing full Sitka gear , because the money spent on Camo justifies all actions ! Ethical .
10. The killing of a gobbler without posting a pic on face space within 10 minutes is not only unethical, your just a plain weirdo !

PERFECT !!!!

Umma check back this afternoon to see the newest updates.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 29, 2022, 07:51:55 AM

PERFECT !!!!

Umma check back this afternoon to see the newest updates.

This is a magnificent working draft. It's like The Constitution before the amendments . You should be quite proud of what you've done here. This is important work and that cannot be overstated. Like all the greats you've made it look easy.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ybuck

Quote from: eggshell on May 29, 2022, 06:28:58 AM
I only have four rules

1. Obey the laws of your state

2. The shot must be safe and the target properly identified

3  The turkey is inside your effective killing range and your ok with how you got him there

4. Do unto other hunters as you would have them do unto you.

That's it for me, everything else is someone else's decision. I will sleep just fine with mine. In the end of all discussions on ethics our opinions are mostly drawn on our own assessment of the premise that someone is unfairly taking opportunity away from us. Fairness is a subjective standard and differs widely among people. I think we gripe the most because we feel like our chance of success is diminished because of the actions of someone else. I think deep down in our souls we are often resentful of others success and our own greed is subliminally driving our emotions. In my old age I have finally realized I am only throwing away my own enjoyment of the sport when I get so upset over what someone else does. Now that I have pissed everyone off, I wish you good health and great hunts. Here's something to distract us bitter old men https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiMQPc5aKA

:z-winnersmiley:

Happy

Well crap. Looks like I have broken every one of those rules. What's my punishment? Only allowed to use a blind and decoys next year? A lifetime subscription to Buckmasters? Please take it easy on me.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Howie g

Quote from: Happy on May 29, 2022, 01:26:20 PM
Well crap. Looks like I have broken every one of those rules. What's my punishment? Only allowed to use a blind and decoys next year? A lifetime subscription to Buckmasters? Please take it easy on me.

. And wear a Jackie bushman turtle neck ,,, mandatory

Sixes

Thanks for clearing that up. That will help me in the future

grayfox

:z-winnersmiley:

Happy

Not the turtleneck! For what it's worth I have never reaped a turkey. With or without Sitka clothing. I do think I do have a sitka beanie I got on clearance somewhere but I figure that ain't even enough to get me out of the truck on a ethical level.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

Quote from: Happy on May 29, 2022, 01:26:20 PMWell crap. Looks like I have broken every one of those rules. What's my punishment? Only allowed to use a blind and decoys next year? A lifetime subscription to Buckmasters? Please take it easy on me.

Haha !!!!!   You WISH !!!!!!!!!!!   

You're sentenced to a turkey hunting lifetime on public land..........dropped back, calling behind a buddy.............and running THIS out in front of him.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.