OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reaping vs “drop back” callers

Started by JohnSouth22, May 25, 2022, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

Quote from: Howie g on May 27, 2022, 08:25:55 AM
I'm stuck home with dang covid ... I feel like I've been run over by a truck .
Reading these reply's is at least giving a chuckle, which leads to me coughing up something that looks like battery acid ... keep em coming

Hope you are well soon.  That Chinese virus cost me a turkey season.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

guesswho

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 27, 2022, 10:21:17 AM
I won't kill one unless I can grab ahold of his snood and finish him in a rear naked choke, but that's just how I was raised. We don't call. We don't use guns. We don't wear camouflage. It's loin cloths and fisticuffs or nothing. #LastOfADyingBreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loin cloth?   Then it's not a true rear naked choke.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Howie g

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 27, 2022, 11:11:13 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 27, 2022, 10:21:17 AMIt's loin cloths and fisticuffs or nothing. #LastOfADyingBreed

(Rare footage of Chester on the hunt)

NOW we know the man behind the screen name.  :o   Fame walks among us on the OG Forums !!!!    :you_rock:

Can't Un see that !!! Lol

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 27, 2022, 11:11:13 AM

I used to just ugly them to death but it buggered up too much meat. Wasn't fit to eat.

g8rvet

Quote from: CowHunter71 on May 27, 2022, 08:15:21 AM
Difference is, I hunt alone, one on one, me against him. This is how I choose to play the game.
Wait...... what if there are 2 gobblers?  Or three?  or Four?  I have killed one out of four and one out of three and I have killed one out of a pair several times.  So does that mean I am ultra cool because I beat them 1 against 4 (3 or 2).  Or is that not pure enough because it was not mano y mano? 

I have had two birds where I was the forward guy. One was my first and one was the bird I killed this year.  The bird I killed this year circled us and I ended up in front.  I have called in a dozen birds for others-kids, noobs, friends and relatives.  Usually side by side, but a few have been with me dropping back.  I will likely cry myself to sleep tonight thinking I did not "honor" the bird enough. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RED NECK

I have chosen to personally limit my shot range to 7-12 yards,I let them go if they are 13 to 35 yards now,I want everyone to play the game by my rules,if you cant call em that close,well....that aint turkey hunting,thats shooting and I do it naked but i do roll around in the mud first to make it fair.   Sincerly Franks n Beans.....get some,if you want some.....
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

CowHunter71

Quote from: g8rvet on May 27, 2022, 12:53:52 PM
Difference is, I hunt alone, one on one, me against him. This is how I choose to play the game.
Wait...... what if there are 2 gobblers?  Or three?  or Four?  I have killed one out of four and one out of three and I have killed one out of a pair several times.  So does that mean I am ultra cool because I beat them 1 against 4 (3 or 2).  Or is that not pure enough because it was not mano y mano? 

I have had two birds where I was the forward guy. One was my first and one was the bird I killed this year.  The bird I killed this year circled us and I ended up in front.  I have called in a dozen birds for others-kids, noobs, friends and relatives.  Usually side by side, but a few have been with me dropping back.  I will likely cry myself to sleep tonight thinking I did not "honor" the bird enough.
Like I said in my post, I don't give a piss what you or coppernutz think. Not forcing my style on anyone, simply stating how I choose to play the game.

Yoder409

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on May 27, 2022, 01:38:19 PM....... and I do it naked but i do roll around in the mud first to make it fair. 

(Rare footage of Kid, heading out to bag that gobbler)

NOW we know the man behind the screen name.   :o   Yet, more fame walks among us on the OG Forums !!   :you_rock:

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Howie g

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 27, 2022, 03:15:58 PM
Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on May 27, 2022, 01:38:19 PM....... and I do it naked but i do roll around in the mud first to make it fair. 

(Rare footage of Kid, heading out to bag that gobbler)

NOW we know the man behind the screen name.   :o   Yet, more fame walks among us on the OG Forums !!   :you_rock:

Sooo , if you go after gobblers like this ? I must ask where you carry your yelper ???  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Howie g on May 27, 2022, 03:47:33 PM
Sooo , if you go after gobblers like this ? I must ask where you carry your yelper ???  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:
Little trick I learned in prison. Keeps my hands free for the melee.

Howie g

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 27, 2022, 04:08:16 PM

Well , that's one way to assure nobody else will ask to use your yelper !!!

Yoder409

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 27, 2022, 04:08:16 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

YOU............sir............ain't right.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

g8rvet

Quote from: CowHunter71 on May 27, 2022, 02:04:18 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on May 27, 2022, 12:53:52 PM

Like I said in my post, I don't give a piss what you or coppernutz think. Not forcing my style on anyone, simply stating how I choose to play the game.
Sounds like you are upset.   Why?   

I have no problem with someone playing the game their own way.   I do it too.   I just don't imply I am morally superior to them because of the way I hunt. 

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bonasa

Quote from: JohnSouth22 on May 25, 2022, 12:15:11 AM
Curious at to what some of yalls take would be on this topic. I'll begin by making clear that I have never reaped a bird. I have tried several times to see what the hype was about with no results. With that being said I've seen the videos and talked to some people that obviously are very successful with the approach, but I am not anti reaping, I think as long as it is legal there's no right or wrong way to do it (besides limb-shooting in the few places it is legal). My thought process being that if you're anti reaping because of the unfair advantage shouldn't you be anti drop back caller as well? If you shoot a bird having a drop back caller you did not kill that bird, you simply pulled the trigger. But did the other caller even kill the bird? Often times using a drop back caller the dropped back person never even sees the bird, much less gets it in range. So was the tom really tricked when he was going to come in and likely hangup at 70 like he's done for so many years? Or was he robbed of a fair fight? In my opinion it's almost impossible to argue it's not. (Let's be clear I'll use drop back callers I'm not against it in any form I just find how ones generally accepted while one is a cardinal sin conflicting)

Some thoughts I had as I'm on a 18 hour ride to the NE to finish up season

Wow, where to begin.

If reaping is not legal, you can't do it obviously. Still many states have shot size laws and #8-10 isnt legal yet so many hunters choose to overlook that. At the same time criticize the tactic of reaping. However, with the advent of the TSS shots, many hunters still would choose to take that same 70 yard shot that you mentioned.

I have reaped birds, I have put others in position to do the same. I have never carried a fan with me into the woods though. By default, any bird that hangs up I will call out. If they still stay planted, I'm moving on.

Birds we have reaped have been the last hour (11-12) and during a time where someone has a tag, someone also filled their morning tag, we are trying to double up and we are scouting for the following morning. I have 14 farms for turkey hunting permission and most of it has fields visible from the roadside. IF someone is willing and able to make the walk and crawl, it usually ends with a dead turkey and a very exciting hunt. Full strut and coming to YOU at meer feet!

Shooting a bird someone else called in, you are correct you are just the shooter. This goes down the line of guided turkey hunts, you are paying for a bird and not having any input.

The fun of turkey hunting is hearing them gobble, respond and come into calls or fans...I have no disgust for reaping, TSS, field edge hunters over blinds or decoys. It's the hunters that ambush birds that really get my goat. NO calling, no fanning, no skill. These hunters just walk but usually run or crawl and cut them off to walk into range. Spot and stalk turkey hunting is best saved for biggame and has no place in the turkey woods. That's not hunting, thats a cheap shot with no talent and I rank it equal to roost shooting.

Howie g

Opinions, Opinions,,,
I disagree on the opinion that putting the sneak on a gobbler is " cheaper " then reaping ??
Personally, I've put the sneak on quite a few back in my greedy days .   Even though those days are behind me , IMO it takes way more woody skills to sneak one then to stick a fan up .
Opinions, Opinions