turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reaping vs “drop back” callers

Started by JohnSouth22, May 25, 2022, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihuntoldschool

The game isn't being played on a level playing field anymore.  The results of this over the years have been devastating and will continue to worsen barring major changes.
Any time the "hunter" or should I say killer Ha Ha uses a visual aid he creates an unlevel playing field and gives himself/herself an unfair advantage.
Now back when turkey hunting first came back we had more turkey hunters,  these days we have a bunch of turkey killers but few turkey hunters. 

silvestris

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool link=topic=109605.msg1086288#msg1086288 date=1653500948  These days we have a bunch of turkey killers but few turkey hunters.
/quote]

And they don't have a clue about the joy and the accomplishment they are missing.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

ferocious calls

Being the drop back caller has put many toms in my range.

zelmo1

Legal, ethical and safe are different animals. There are legal methods I do not agree with therefore will not do. But that isnt my free pass to judge others. Ethical is somewhat subjective to how and where you were raised. Safety is not subjective, the law gives pretty clear explanations. If you are not sure, find out before you do it. Everyone that is hunting over 16 has passed Hunter Safety or is a minor with someone who did, so there is no excuse. It is never ok to put another human in harms way in the field. Courtesy is slowly giving way to " entitlement" and that is everywhere. I try to do my personal part to keep our woods safe and that everyone has an opportunity to enjoy it. As far as reaping goes, legal or not, its not for me. As for drop back calling, it is my last try to get someone else an opportunity. I have never been the " front man", as I like to be in the game as much as possible. But thats only my :z-twocents:. Please enjoy and be safe. God Bless, Al Baker

Ctrize

Legality varies as do ethics which can be based on where you might have been raised hunting. Do we put a limit on what yardage a turkey can be shot and call it fair to the turkey? Some hunters do, some don't. The idea is to kill and tag a turkey by legal means, some enjoy the interaction of a gobbling tom and some want to put meat in the freezer.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Howie g on May 25, 2022, 10:47:49 AM
This is for sure a " mileage may very " question.
At the end of the day , we where all raised differently.
I was raised to Yelp him up , or use woodsmenship to get close .
It's a sin to limb shot/ use decoys / shot out the truck window / go in on somebody that was there before you etc .  But I'm not going to push " my " rules on you . As long as you don't push yours on me ...
You and I see it pretty much the same.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

Quote from: ol bob on May 25, 2022, 11:59:30 AM
Hunt however it's legal in your state, anyway that makes you happy, and don't feel like you have to tell anyone else how you hunt. You and everyone else will be happy.

I keep hearing this.  And, really.........what else can be said at this point ??

To me, it boils down to one's personal conviction and reason for being out in the spring woods with a gun and a tag.  Are you a turkey HUNTER ??  Are you a turkey KILLER ??  Are you a STUDENT of the entire sport ??

It used to be the bar.......the gas station.......the place where some guys just HAD to be the first guy to get there with a buck or a gobbler.  The proving ground.  Now , add to that social media and YouTube.  I think the drive.....the need for validation......causes a whole lotta hunters to  cheapen the means to their end for the perceived glory at the bar or the gas station.  Too many guys feel they have something to prove to the rest of the hunting community and in doing so, will resort to whatever "legal method" they have to.  Just so they're first to the gas station.   The first on Facebook.

To the OP's question, directly........... drop-back calling.......calling through......whatever you name it......is CALLING.  Something you have to PRACTICE.  Something that experience strengthens the skill, thereof.  Reaping (IMO) is the participation trophy of the sport.  Absolutely no skill. Just a good set of knees.  But, if it's legal............and the cheapening of one's individual successes isn't a problem.......then knock yourself out, skippy. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 26, 2022, 03:57:56 PM
Quote from: ol bob on May 25, 2022, 11:59:30 AM
Hunt however it's legal in your state, anyway that makes you happy, and don't feel like you have to tell anyone else how you hunt. You and everyone else will be happy.

I keep hearing this.  And, really.........what else can be said at this point ??

To me, it boils down to one's personal conviction and reason for being out in the spring woods with a gun and a tag.  Are you a turkey HUNTER ??  Are you a turkey KILLER ??  Are you a STUDENT of the entire sport ??

It used to be the bar.......the gas station.......the place where some guys just HAD to be the first guy to get there with a buck or a gobbler.  The proving ground.  Now , add to that social media and YouTube.  I think the drive.....the need for validation......causes a whole lotta hunters to  cheapen the means to their end for the perceived glory.  Too many guys feel they have something to prove to the rest of the hunting community and in doing so, will resort to whatever "legal method" they have to.  Just so they're first to the gas station.   The first on Facebook.

To the OP's question, directly........... drop-back calling.......calling through......whatever you name it......is CALLING.  Something you have to PRACTICE.  Something that experience strengthens the skill, thereof.  Reaping (IMO) is the participation trophy of the sport.  Absolutely no skill. Just a good set of knees.  But, if it's legal............and the cheapening of one's individual successes isn't a problem.......then knock yourself out, skippy.

Absolutely, this is a forum of opinions and I suspect I'm gonna give you one. If the turkey isn't called to the gun, we call that turkey shooting not hunting. It's nothing to be proud of. I personally think stalking/reaping should be illegal for ethical and SAFETY reasons. But of course do as you see fit.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

mspaci

the 2 dont corollate to ea other. Totally diff concepts. Drop back calling is still calling birds. Reaping is still reaping w/o calling. I just dont get how they are even related? Mike

Yoder409

Quote from: mspaci on May 26, 2022, 05:41:42 PM
the 2 dont corollate to ea other. Totally diff concepts. Drop back calling is still calling birds. Reaping is still reaping w/o calling. I just dont get how they are even related? Mike

Agreed.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Crghss

Just my opinion but I think reaping is dangerous.

Where as "drop-back" calling isn't any more dangerous then calling alone.

But to each his own.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

ChesterCopperpot

Apples and hand grenades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CowHunter71

Both are horesh#t tactics in my opinion. For me, it is me against him, a game of hide and seek. Me sitting against a tree and making him come look for me. If I cannot call him down my barrel to within 35 steps, he wins, period.

ChesterCopperpot

To those saying "drop back calling" isn't fair chase, what about when you do it solo? When you've got a bird that won't commit to anything but an unkillable distance and he's done that more than once, and so you drop back to call then cut the distance between you and the bird? Is that unfair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

This is getting funny.  Now some are saying drop back calling is unethical or unsporting.  LOL.  That is funny.  Oh well, enjoy hunting the way you want.  I will drop back call if I am hunting with a buddy with zero hesitation. 

I am not sure I can keep up with all the "rules".  Maybe someone can post them for us.  This is silly. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.