OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reaping vs “drop back” callers

Started by JohnSouth22, May 25, 2022, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSouth22

Curious at to what some of yalls take would be on this topic. I'll begin by making clear that I have never reaped a bird. I have tried several times to see what the hype was about with no results. With that being said I've seen the videos and talked to some people that obviously are very successful with the approach, but I am not anti reaping, I think as long as it is legal there's no right or wrong way to do it (besides limb-shooting in the few places it is legal). My thought process being that if you're anti reaping because of the unfair advantage shouldn't you be anti drop back caller as well? If you shoot a bird having a drop back caller you did not kill that bird, you simply pulled the trigger. But did the other caller even kill the bird? Often times using a drop back caller the dropped back person never even sees the bird, much less gets it in range. So was the tom really tricked when he was going to come in and likely hangup at 70 like he's done for so many years? Or was he robbed of a fair fight? In my opinion it's almost impossible to argue it's not. (Let's be clear I'll use drop back callers I'm not against it in any form I just find how ones generally accepted while one is a cardinal sin conflicting)

Some thoughts I had as I'm on a 18 hour ride to the NE to finish up season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerhunt1988

Limb shooting is actually legal in a lot of places. One could argue its more difficult and requires more skill than reaping. Not to mention safer, and possibly less of an impact on the population (fewer birds harvested by it, "dominant gobbler" theory w/ reaping, etc.).

eggshell

There has been a lot of good discussion on all these ethics questions. Ethics come down to personal conviction and principle, and it's not the same for everyone. I am tired of all the banter and just want to hunt and leave the crap of social judgement behind. Unfortunately, what is wrong on the city street gets drug into the woods and onto the water. It's not a legal issue or a management issue it comes down to one simple thing, character and respect. Respect your fellow members of the human race and apply strong character to everything you do and you will be respected in turn. The golden rule stands strong on the street in the wild places, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Morals are God given principles that protect and prosper all of us. It is not that difficult to apply some simple wisdom to every situation, but the greatest foe of wisdom is GREED!. I want it so bad I will take it from someone else.

There is no single answer to the gate question. It requires some judgement. If you pull up and the gate is the entry point for a large area with branches then it is reasonable to assume that two or three parties can park and hunt it. You just need to listen and asses every gobbler you hear and do your best to not set up on someone working a bird. Going deeper does not mean your alone. If the gate is access to a small parcel and likely 1-2 birds then you should realize that two is a crowd and move on. Competition for space will only get worse. So we are going to have to think harder about what we do. We just ran into this situation last week in the Black Hills. I had a gate targeted and when we pulled up there was a truck parked there. Now this parcel went for a 5 mile radius and plenty of space, but we knew other gates were open just down the road, so we turned around and moved on. Not a hard decision at all. However, the greedy little voice in me said, you spotted that bird back there, he's yours go get him. The exercise of principle often takes deliberate will power to fight off temptation. It's not a cut and dried right or wrong issue, it's a thoughtful and kindness issue....just be better

Tom007

Quote from: eggshell on May 25, 2022, 08:12:45 AM
There has been a lot of good discussion on all these ethics questions. Ethics come down to personal conviction and principle, and it's not the same for everyone. I am tired of all the banter and just want to hunt and leave the crap of social judgement behind. Unfortunately, what is wrong on the city street gets drug into the woods and onto the water. It's not a legal issue or a management issue it comes down to one simple thing, character and respect. Respect your fellow members of the human race and apply strong character to everything you do and you will be respected in turn. The golden rule stands strong on the street in the wild places, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Morals are God given principles that protect and prosper all of us. It is not that difficult to apply some simple wisdom to every situation, but the greatest foe of wisdom is GREED!. I want it so bad I will take it from someone else.

There is no single answer to the gate question. It requires some judgement. If you pull up and the gate is the entry point for a large area with branches then it is reasonable to assume that two or three parties can park and hunt it. You just need to listen and asses every gobbler you hear and do your best to not set up on someone working a bird. Going deeper does not mean your alone. If the gate is access to a small parcel and likely 1-2 birds then you should realize that two is a crowd and move on. Competition for space will only get worse. So we are going to have to think harder about what we do. We just ran into this situation last week in the Black Hills. I had a gate targeted and when we pulled up there was a truck parked there. Now this parcel went for a 5 mile radius and plenty of space, but we knew other gates were open just down the road, so we turned around and moved on. Not a hard decision at all. However, the greedy little voice in me said, you spotted that bird back there, he's yours go get him. The exercise of principle often takes deliberate will power to fight off temptation. It's not a cut and dried right or wrong issue, it's a thoughtful and kindness issue....just be better

Extremely well written, you could not sum this up any better. Well done.
"Solo hunter"

turkeyfool

Reaping and drop-back calling not the same thing Northy ;)

At least with drop-back calling, you're taking one for the team and helping your buddy get one

mountainhunter1

Well said.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

PharmHunter

I would say those two things are Apples and Oranges.  Not even close to the same thing. 

RutnNStrutn

Ethics come down to personal conviction and principle, and it's not the same for everyone. I am tired of all the banter and just want to hunt and leave the crap of social judgement behind. 

Amen!!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Hook hanger

Thats like saying a hen lead the gobbler your direction not your calling so you shouldn't shoot it. Definitely apple's to orange's type of thinking.

Greg Massey

Lot of difference in calls and calling gobblers and waving fans in front of your face. The two are totally different in my opinion.  As eggshell said: Ethics comes down to the personal conviction and the person behind the gun. Your the one who has to live with your judgement calls in life.

BDeal

Reaping should be banned for multiple reasons in my opinion. It is not hunting and it is not safe.

Howie g

This is for sure a " mileage may very " question.
At the end of the day , we where all raised differently.
I was raised to Yelp him up , or use woodsmenship to get close .
It's a sin to limb shot/ use decoys / shot out the truck window / go in on somebody that was there before you etc .  But I'm not going to push " my " rules on you . As long as you don't push yours on me ...

Turkeybutt

If Reaping or shooting a bird off the limb is legal in your state or the state you are hunting in and that's your cup of tea, then do it. Who am I to judge!
As to the question about Drop Back Calling. I find nothing wrong with that at all. It's you or your buddy trying to help another get a bird. It's a team effort and if someone gets a bird it's something to be proud of because you were a part of it.
As Eggshell put it, "It come's down to personal conviction and principle in all we do, and it's not the same for everyone".
We come from all walks of life, each with their own set of morals, convictions and principles. At best all one can do is respect and accept people for their differences and hopefully you will earn some respect as well.
When all else fails and it does from time to time I'll remind people.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are!

ol bob

Hunt however it's legal in your state, anyway that makes you happy, and don't feel like you have to tell anyone else how you hunt. You and everyone else will be happy.

guesswho

Quote from: Howie g on May 25, 2022, 10:47:49 AM
This is for sure a " mileage may very " question.
At the end of the day , we where all raised differently.
I was raised to Yelp him up , or use woodsmenship to get close .
It's a sin to limb shot/ use decoys / shot out the truck window / go in on somebody that was there before you etc .  But I'm not going to push " my " rules on you . As long as you don't push yours on me ...
:icon_thumright:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff