Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What have you lost while turkey hunting?

Started by DirtNap647, May 20, 2022, 08:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

my Water Wizard box call and a striker the next year. I looked for days for the box call and maybe an hour for the striker. I'd love to stumble upon that box call but I just don't see it ever happening. as for the striker....thanks to the great people on here it has been replaced.

runngun

I lost one of my favorite calls. A Old Yeller, in brown acrylic pot. Had that one a long time. I know about where it is, but the creek has been up. So I guess I got to wait.

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Yoder409

Got to thinking............

About 10-15 years ago, the night before season I was out trying to roost a bird.  I lost a (heavy) solid 14K gold strutting gobbler pendant, that my Mrs. had bought me, off my necklace.

So, there's GOLD in them th'ar hills !!!!   Somewhere.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TonyTurk

I lost my reading glasses, right after I killed a tom.  This happened just two weeks ago.

It made it really difficult to read the tape measure while measuring the beard and spurs!

So I now keep a spare set of readers in the glove box of the truck, in addition to the pair in my turkey vest.

Did I mention that I'm old?   :funnyturkey:

BDeal

A ton of sleep!! These later seasons are tough. Was up at 3:15 today and will be again tomorrow.

Archivist13

Dropped a striker while standing in a corn field. I walked two feet and realized it. Even though it was literally somewhere at my feet I could never find it. Like the earth opened up and swallowed it. Still freaks me out.

A couple weeks ago, I stopped and changed from my walk-in clothes to my hunt clothes and set my gun against a tree. After changing, I walked off and left the gun there. Heard a gobble half a mile later and set up only to realize I had left my gun way back. Duh!

Sir-diealot

A striker, maybe two, gloves as said above it always seems like the right one that gets lost.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bonasa

Couple strikers, sadly they were custom. Lost a custom pot call too; moved on a bird and laid three calls out, usually only 2, I packed two and got after the bird. Ended up killing it, packing up. I notch my calls after a kill and the lost call wasn't "the call" that day and didn't realize until later in season it was gone.

TRG3

I lost my favorite green flashlight, one of those pen-type that uses 3A batteries. I walked across a field of wildflowers after tagging my turkey, so it's probably out there somewhere.

WV Flopper

So many things, mostly recovered. Gloves, strikers, calls, call cases full of calls, sleep, women, money, confidence, work, time, shirt sleeves, gloves, keys.

I have lost a lot over the years. Have found most of the strikers and calls. Did lose a mouth call case never to be found in VA. Lost a mouth call last year and picked it up this year. It was no good. Found a striker from previous year, it was no good.

Lost my SS drinking cup this year. The women bought me a Ozark trail large stainless cup. Had a strutter engraved on it with my initials. It probably has been found, by someone, not me. I had it out on a breakfast break and must have set it on my back bumper. Sure would like to have that back... If you find it, it is seasoned with Bourbon.

Cowboy

Quote from: Cowboy on May 21, 2022, 05:20:06 AM
I lost my favorite striker. Looked and looked then gave up. Hunted same area later on and went to look one more time. Bingo! It was laying length wise on top if a tree root clump where I was sitting. Hard to see. I also lost my Gooserbat mouth call I had less than a week. My Dad, 72, lost his cell phone twice! Looked and searched around three or four spots. Nada. Fifth spot found it laying on a guys logging equipment. He stopped there to call.  We know the logger( my neighbor) plus had permission to hunt that piece of property from the landowner. Second time he found it laying in the gravel road near a spot he hunted. Opposite side of the road.  Thinks he left it on the hood of his truck and drove away. He also lost a handmade box call made for him by a feller with a last name Dies from Tennessee.  Anyone know him? Never found the box call anywhere. My son Kaidan, 11, informed me he lost his striker and a box call. Funny he never told me until AFTER season was over....lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Forgot to mention my BINOCULARS!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

greencop01

A Lohman crow call I bought in 1968 while in high school and lost in 2020 while turkey hunting in Conn. I owned it for over 50 years. It sounded great too. I found one on E-Bay same box, same instructions and price list. Listed for $4.95. Same call too. When I lost it, felt like I lost an old friend. The one from E-Bay sounds as good the one I lost. Has a cherry mouthpiece I think.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

deerhunt1988

Gloves. I lose a glove every spring. It's a given. I have a half dozen single gloves from various pairs. Not uncommon to see me wearing a mixed pair.

This spring I had to chase a wounded bird through a thicket and lost a $200+ range finder in the process. Sometimes I carry the range finder in a pocket on my vest rather than binos. I reckon my pocket zipper got caught on a branch during the pursuit and yanked the pocket open. I looked about 15 minutes for the range finder but couldn't even tell where I'd came through the thicket other than a feather here or there. Just chalked it up as a loss and glad the turkey didn't end up coyote food.

Zobo

Quote from: Archivist13 on May 21, 2022, 04:03:14 PM
Dropped a striker while standing in a corn field. I walked two feet and realized it. Even though it was literally somewhere at my feet I could never find it. Like the earth opened up and swallowed it. Still freaks me out.

I know how you feel, it's amazing how well they blend into the ground. It's happened to me too; I have dropped a striker in my set up spot and looked and looked for the thing to no avail, then walked away knowing full well it's still there! I hardly lose anything other than strikers. It's gotten to a point where I'm thinking a striker lanyard is in my future, if it doesn't exists I'm designing one lol!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

g8rvet

When I used to treat horses and farm stock, I was forever leaving some tool - hoof knife, throwing rope, hoof testers, twitch, tubes, calf chains, etc.  The owners would call to tell me I had left something and I would tell them I would be around at some point to pick it up. I told them I left it on purpose and when I got ready to retire, I would just drive around and pick up all my tools and sell them as my retirement plan. 

Sounds like some of y'all have some good retirement plans working! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.