OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2022 season recap (picture heavy)

Started by RutnNStrutn, May 18, 2022, 10:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

Still had my phone set with western weather alerts.  Just notified that light snow is falling now in Hulett.  Sorry I missed it.  Almost a lol for 5/21 at 9am CST.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: joey46 on May 21, 2022, 10:53:07 AM
Still had my phone set with western weather alerts.  Just notified that light snow is falling now in Hulett.  Sorry I missed it.  Almost a lol for 5/21 at 9am CST.
Crazy weather out west!! We had light hail and snow flurries one afternoon out there!! Then the clouds rolled back, gave us a rainbow, then blue skies.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

barry

RutnNStrutn

Thanks Barry!!

eggshell

Now I know why we couldn't find any birds in the southern Black Hills....they all moved to the north. We just got home from there and I think I heard or saw one gobbler for every 50 miles traveled and I am not kidding. Turkeys were as rare as hen's teeth

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: eggshell on May 23, 2022, 06:39:37 PM
Now I know why we couldn't find any birds in the southern Black Hills....they all moved to the north. We just got home from there and I think I heard or saw one gobbler for every 50 miles traveled and I am not kidding. Turkeys were as rare as hen's teeth
Wow. That's crazy. They were thick as flies on stink where we were.

joey46

I was basically in the same area as RnS.  Maybe a few days earlier.  No shortage of birds.  Remember when hunting that north end you're 90 minutes or less from MT, SD, and WY.  All have huntable populations and plenty of public land.  The one and only tip I'll give in this "everything's a secret" environment is don't ignore the hundreds of small tracts of BLM lands.  Many are landlocked by private land but many are not.  It took me three years of research to finally make this trip.  Worth it for me. I won't do it solo again but already have a hunting buddy rethinking his decision to "wait till next year". Good luck in the future.

MDSTRUTNRUT

Looks like an AWESOME HUNT and GREAT PIX !

PharmHunter

Great stuff!  I'm missing it already.

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys!!

eggshell

Man I wish I'd seen your post a few days ago while I was out there. We were staying just SE of deadwood and could of easily drove up there. It's weird that less then an hr away birds went from sparse to thick. Oh well, maybe next time. Since my daughter lives out there we go out every year, so I put that info in my memory banks. I just hope not too many others get wind of it.

Gooserbat

Congratulations on getting it done.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: eggshell on May 24, 2022, 04:30:57 PM
Man I wish I'd seen your post a few days ago while I was out there. We were staying just SE of deadwood and could of easily drove up there. It's weird that less then an hr away birds went from sparse to thick. Oh well, maybe next time. Since my daughter lives out there we go out every year, so I put that info in my memory banks. I just hope not too many others get wind of it.

Eggshell, you're not the only one who responded to this post like that. It is odd that such a short distance made such a big difference.

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 24, 2022, 04:52:19 PM
Congratulations on getting it done.

Thanks Sam!!!

Sir-diealot

Congratulations, some beautiful country. I would love to see mountains before I die.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RutnNStrutn

Thanks man!! I hope you do as well.