OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2022 season recap (picture heavy)

Started by RutnNStrutn, May 18, 2022, 10:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Well guys, another turkey season has passed for me. It was my best season in quite a while. Harvested some good birds on some exciting hunts, crossed 3 more states off my list, got 3 of 4 gobblers with my custom 20 gauge, saw some amazing places, and took the first bird off of my property in Tennessee.
The first gobbler was on an afternoon roost hunt in the Lowcountry of SC. I called a strutter and his hen 300 yards across a field, and shot the gobbler at 56 yards while his hen was running straight at me to fly up to the roost.
The second gobbler was on my property in Tennessee. I watched this gobbler following hens for 3 days, but he wouldn't leave the hens, and the hens weren't interested in sharing. So on day 4, I set up in the area they had been traveling, and put out my DSD's, a feeding hen, an upright hen and a 3/4 strut jake. The gobbler came right in with his hens, and attacked my Jake deke. I dropped him at 20 yards.
Next up was the Black Hills of SD. Beautiful country out there with lots of hard gobbling Merriams. It was tough hunting due to lots of hens. On the 3rd afternoon we roosted 60 turkeys including at least 6 gobblers. The next morning we snuck into the roost before light. As dawn broke, I realized that I was surrounded by turkeys, and watched two gobblers hammering away at hens and strutting on the limb. Shortly after flydown, a gobbler strutted into my shooting lane and I dropped the hammer on him at 22 yards.
The final gobbler of my season was in Wyoming. We'd hunted hard under the same henned up conditions. It was the last afternoon of my trip, so we went to where we'd roosted birds a couple of days earlier. I set up in the roost and waited. An hour before dark 3 gobblers marched up the hill, then turned around and headed back down the hill. The lead bird stepped into an opening and I spotted a decent beard. I swung my 20 to the next opening and dropped him at 42 yards when he walked in.
It was a great season for me!! I harvested a gobbler in every state that I hunted. I crossed 3 new states off my list. I killed a gobbler on my land. I saw turkeys, whitetails, mule deer, pronghorn antelope, buffalo, bighorn sheep, Rocky Mountain goats, prairie dogs, porcupines, coyotes, and countless geese and ducks.
We visited The Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave National Park, Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood, Devil's Tower, Custer State Park, the Black Hills and took in some tremendous sights. It was a season to remember!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

joey46

Congrats! Great pictures. 

BTW - you look like a guy I talked with at a bar in Bell Fourche.  Been around the 6th.

Tail Feathers

Congrats on a great season Jim!   :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Hoot 000

One heck of a vacation and hunting trip thanks for sharing, very nice pictures. :drool:

Turkeybutt

Great photos!  Thanks for sharing and congrats on your hunting success this year.

USMC0331

Congratulations and great photos.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

FLGobstopper

Thanks for sharing was an unforgettable season and great pics of great birds in some amazing country. Well done!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: joey46 on May 18, 2022, 11:11:41 PM
BTW - you look like a guy I talked with at a bar in Bell Fourche.  Been around the 6th.

Joey, we hunted SD near Bell Fourche, but we stayed in Hulett, WY. So it wasn't me.

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys!!

JeffC

Congrats on a great safe and successful season Jim. Taking a Tom of of your own piece of dirt is a season highlight all by it self, icing on the cake with success with additional states. Congrats again Sir!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: JeffC on May 19, 2022, 08:14:17 AM
Taking a Tom of of your own piece of dirt is a season highlight all by it self

I totally agree!! That was a memorable hunt.

Jim K

Congratulations on a fine season. Thanks for all the pictures!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Old Timer

Congrats to you. Looks like you enjoyed your trips and got rewarded. Did you go with a partner or a group? I would like to do a little more cross state hunting. But I need a partner with the driving and so forth. I think with my running and gunning tactics I wore them out. Lol. But to be honest most of the time I hunt alone. A good partner I had has passed years back and another friend is so busy with work we rarely connect anymore. Congrats again for your success!