OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting the same bird multiple times .. good or bad?

Started by Dhamilton1, May 18, 2022, 06:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CowHunter71

Quote from: tal on May 18, 2022, 09:13:22 PM
I agree whole heartedly with everything said. Changing up calls, tactics, and approaches can make the difference. Or just moving back in and get him frustrated enough to close on that hen he missed the day before. It should also be said and playing devil's advocate.... There are some tough old birds with solid instincts that are destined to die of old age. You can waste a season on a bird like that. But the education is usually worth more than the ones you bag.
Go after him
Solid advice right here. Some are just meant to die of old age. Tipped my hat to 2 very such Gobblers at the end of my season here Sunday. Anyone who tells you they kill every Gobbler they go after, is full of sh#t

Greg Massey

Quote from: CowHunter71 on May 18, 2022, 10:00:34 PM
Quote from: tal on May 18, 2022, 09:13:22 PM
I agree whole heartedly with everything said. Changing up calls, tactics, and approaches can make the difference. Or just moving back in and get him frustrated enough to close on that hen he missed the day before. It should also be said and playing devil's advocate.... There are some tough old birds with solid instincts that are destined to die of old age. You can waste a season on a bird like that. But the education is usually worth more than the ones you bag.
Go after him
Solid advice right here. Some are just meant to die of old age. Tipped my hat to 2 very such Gobblers at the end of my season here Sunday. Anyone who tells you they kill every Gobbler they go after, is full of sh#t
X3 agree

Paulmyr

After the second encounter they go on the hit list. They don't take all my time but they do get special attention.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Gooserbat

My advice is be patient, don't be aggressive, and always be ready for him to turn it on.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Flatbottomarky

I have gotten hung up hunting a bird several days before. Pretty rewarding when you finally get him. If you don't, still enjoy the game, be looking for him next year.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on May 18, 2022, 06:15:54 PM
Your not going to kill him if you don't go, that's a fact.
If he's comfortable with where you are, then it's just a waiting game.

Both true!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: FL-Boss on May 18, 2022, 06:12:45 PM
Any day he could act differently. Put the hen out.. likely won't hurt.   The bird operates in the moment instinct.  Not worried about yesterday or tomorrow...  get after him.
Yep!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Dhamilton1

Quote from: rifleman on May 18, 2022, 09:03:20 PM
Agree with POk3s.  Birds have not gobbled very well in my part of WV this year.  They tend to sneak in on my position about 7:30 or so.  I yelp very little but have had luck blindly clucking softly and they seem to love the call I've heard called "bubble cluck".
Rifleman, I'm hunting WV as well. The "bubble cluck" is not something I have been able to master yet. I've watched videos and tried but can't get the technique.

Although off topic, have any good resources or suggestions on how to master it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolandstrutters

I hunted the same bird 5 or 6 days this spring.  He had a tiny core area in almost a thicket that was very hard to get to.  He would not leave that little spot and it was near impossible to get in tight without spooking him.  He would gobble pretty consistently, but would not budge from that spot.  On the last day I hunted him, i noticed he gobbled just outside of that spot he had been hanging out in.  I got in there as quick as i could, not knowing exactly where he was and called him back within 20 minutes. 

Bingoman

Quote from: Happy on May 18, 2022, 08:30:57 PM
I just got done messing with the same gobbler 2 days in a row. First day should have killed him but an unknown obstruction held him up. Then yesterday I was on him for 11.2 miles and finally had my shot. Only problem was there was a house about 200 yards behind him and even though the turkey and I were on public land I didn't feel comfortable taking the shot. He then followed a hen onto private and I circled it and he never came off of it. I was ready for round three this morning but he was a no show. If there were other turkeys in the area I probably wouldn't have been on him so hard but options were pretty scarce and I was on limited time.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Like 11+ miles? That's quite a stalk

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Tom007

Chasing the same tough bird several days in a row will certainly teach you a mountain of lessons, hopefully leading to a successful harvest. Best advice you can get on Turkey hunting is from a real tough Elusive Tom.....
"Solo hunter"

maineute

Definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. You have to take what you learned and try something different based on what you now know. Heck ya you need to hunt him,  but remember, you learn things from him and he learns things from you. That same call or decoy or whatever is not going to work if you have been busted. I hunted the same bird 4 times over 10days (have to work because the kids like to eat)  and finally shot him by being where he wanted to be, I called him into a spot where he wanted to be, that is what I learned. Hunt him until he is dead or you cant find him.

Dtrkyman

I have hunted what I assumed to be the same bird many times for multiple days.  It is a blessing and a curse!

Killed many and have had my butt handed to me as well. Many times it may be the only thing I had going anyway so I go all in!  I have also completely bailed on some of those stubborn birds and killed a different bird.

Last one I remember got the better of me!

Marc

Quote from: guesswho on May 18, 2022, 06:15:54 PM
Your not going to kill him if you don't go, that's a fact.   Something to think about, where you set-up is more important than calling in my opinion.   It's hard to explain, but try to visualize what he's looking at if he decides to come in.   You want him comfortable, and don't try to make it happen, let it happen.   Wether that be today, tomorrow or Friday.   You don't have to call much at all, he hears you and knows where you're at.   If he's comfortable with where you are, then it's just a waiting game.   I'd leave the deke, easier to reposition without it. Good luck.

Very good advise here.  Sounds like a subordinate bird that is nervous coming in?  I would guess when he does come in good range, it will be quiet and sneaky...  Possibly from a direction you are not expecting.

My initial setup on such a bird is such that it is a spot he would be likely to come in to.  It is a spot, that when he can see me (and I can see him) he is in range.  It is a spot that I can reposition if he is coming in or hanging up in the wrong direction.  Have plans A, B, C, & D ready.

These birds, my sucess has come from occasional, subtle calling and leaf scratching...  Generally come in quiet.  Listen for that searching cluck or putt.  Look for that red head that appears out of nowhere.

Quote from: Tom007 on May 19, 2022, 08:53:50 AM
Chasing the same tough bird several days in a row will certainly teach you a mountain of lessons, hopefully leading to a successful harvest. Best advice you can get on Turkey hunting is from a real tough Elusive Tom.....

So true!  Hunting and concentrating on that "one" bird can provide a ton of experience, and hopefully allows you to learn the ins and outs of the terrain and habitat features...  Nothing more frustrating than hunting that bird and coming close...  Not much is more satisfying than finally having that chance at him and being successful!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ejhandler

Keep hunting him, especially if you have had a low impact on him the first couple days.  Make small adjustments, too, if you think it will help your confidence. Might try to set up on him in a different direction first thing in the morning.  Try a pot call if you have been hitting him with a mouth call.  Learn his ways, a little bit more every day, cut him off if he goes a certain direction.  I like to give those stubborn birds something a little different every day, especially if their home area seems relatively small.  When all else fails/season is coming to an end, and I know he is roosting in a specific area or tree, I'll get in there in the pitch dark and get in there tight.