Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting the same bird multiple times .. good or bad?

Started by Dhamilton1, May 18, 2022, 06:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

Long story short, I got on a bird last Friday and couldn't seal the deal. Played cat and mouse with him most of the morning before he disappeared. The next day, Saturday, I slipped in real close to him and was almost under him. Still couldn't seal the deal when he pitched down. Wasn't interested in my calls, my silence, scratching leaves, nothing! (Same deal as Friday)

Would it be a bad idea to try and go after him this Friday again? May even have to resort to bringing a hen decoy along.

What could I do different? This is a public land bird so I try and not over call but when I can't get his interest I feel like I need too. My playbook is pretty short so I've thrown everything at him besides decoys.

Any insight is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL-Boss

Any day he could act differently. Put the hen out.. likely won't hurt.   The bird operates in the moment instinct.  Not worried about yesterday or tomorrow...  get after him.

guesswho

Your not going to kill him if you don't go, that's a fact.   Something to think about, where you set-up is more important than calling in my opinion.   It's hard to explain, but try to visualize what he's looking at if he decides to come in.   You want him comfortable, and don't try to make it happen, let it happen.   Wether that be today, tomorrow or Friday.   You don't have to call much at all, he hears you and knows where you're at.   If he's comfortable with where you are, then it's just a waiting game.   I'd leave the deke, easier to reposition without it. Good luck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tom007

Quote from: FL-Boss on May 18, 2022, 06:12:45 PM
Any day he could act differently. Put the hen out.. likely won't hurt.   The bird operates in the moment instinct.  Not worried about yesterday or tomorrow...  get after him.

X2, totally agree. The right call, right set-up, it all could fall into place....good luck.....
"Solo hunter"

TRG3

In my experience, there reaches a point when I realize that my calling only identifies my location and the gobbler has either learned not to go there or his hens drag him away from what they view as competition. At this point, I either need to seek another tom or change my hunting style to more of an ambush, perhaps setting out different decoy(s), probably hens, in anticipation of where he will pitch down and not doing any calling. Another possible approach later in the season is to set out a tom with a hen and answer his gobbles with those of your own, giving the impression that there's a peck order challenge in the making. Let us know how this turns out.

POk3s

Good or bad...I'm not sure, I just know it's a whole lot of fun when you finally kill him.

Frankly, you can overthink it to death and any given thing can work, including the things you've already tried. With that said, I'd try and change up something just a bit and hope it clicks. Whether that's a different calling sequence, pattern, a different sounding call or together and/or decoys. Go get him!

ChesterCopperpot

The one thing I know I'd do is change calls. My style of play would differ from what I'd done before. I'd want him to hear a different hen. Might not help, but I've had plenty of times it did and it sure won't hurt. Regardless, unless you know you've just flat out buggered him (something I did this season on a bird I chased multiple days), stay after him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I just got done messing with the same gobbler 2 days in a row. First day should have killed him but an unknown obstruction held him up. Then yesterday I was on him for 11.2 miles and finally had my shot. Only problem was there was a house about 200 yards behind him and even though the turkey and I were on public land I didn't feel comfortable taking the shot. He then followed a hen onto private and I circled it and he never came off of it. I was ready for round three this morning but he was a no show. If there were other turkeys in the area I probably wouldn't have been on him so hard but options were pretty scarce and I was on limited time.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mikejd

Turkeyman

You just never know. Example: several years ago a friend told me about a particular gobbler he and several others were trying to get but couldn't. I asked if he minded if I tried...he said absolutely not. I went in there the next day...did your basic owl hoot...he gobbled. Did your basic tree yelps...he liked it. Flew down...ran a string of yelps at him...came in nicely and I killed him. Now...did I do anything others hadn't been doing...no. But I just happened to catch him on the right (vulnerable) day is all. That's why you just have to keep after them and not overthink it.

rifleman

Agree with POk3s.  Birds have not gobbled very well in my part of WV this year.  They tend to sneak in on my position about 7:30 or so.  I yelp very little but have had luck blindly clucking softly and they seem to love the call I've heard called "bubble cluck".

tal

I agree whole heartedly with everything said. Changing up calls, tactics, and approaches can make the difference. Or just moving back in and get him frustrated enough to close on that hen he missed the day before. It should also be said and playing devil's advocate.... There are some tough old birds with solid instincts that are destined to die of old age. You can waste a season on a bird like that. But the education is usually worth more than the ones you bag.
Go after him

Yoder409

Hunt him every day til you kill him.

Every time you try and DON'T succeed...........you oughta be learning something that will up your odds for the next try.  Pay attention to the details of what the bird does.  Use that against him tomorrow. 

I've had very few birds over the years make it past about Day 3 or Day 4.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

Hunting a bird multiple times is a great way to get frustrated with him, BUT you are always learning from him. A gobbler coming in on a string we all like those kinds of hunts. I've seen days that i just wanted to come out of the woods and throw my gun in the lake and burn all my turkey hunting stuff... LOL... but again all those hunts were a day of lessons learned. I agree don't waste all your time just with that gobbler, find another one to hunt and you still can check back with that gobbler later. Good luck... we all love the chase of these gobblers.

zelmo1

My wife and I started hunting together 5 years ago. The first year was a flash hunt and over, not a lot of lessons learned. The next year we hunted a bird sporadically throughout the season and we were always a step behind. My lack of patience and her inexperience made it tough. I finally got her tagged out with a different Tom. 1.5 hours after I left my truck, he was mine. All the busted hunts info finally did him in. Don't pound him, but don't give up on him all together. Some days it's time to move on and fight another day. But any day can be the day brother. Good luck, Al