turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

POULTS this morning!!!!

Started by bbcoach, May 14, 2022, 09:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I went to our hunting lease this morning and got my first sighting of the spring here in Eastern NC.  I caught a hen and several little ones moving across a paved road from one patch of woods to another.  Poults looked to be about 2 weeks old and healthy.  Didn't get an exact count but I would estimate about 8 to 10 as they moved across the road.  Momma and little ones were very vocal to one another.  Love to see this!  Hope most of them make it to adult hood.

Dtrkyman

I saw some poults while hunting in Nebraska a while back, last day of the season and I saw a strutter in the next field!

Crazy stuff and always good to see a god group of little ones!

Shiloh

I've seen 2 groups in 3 days of putting out lime here in MS.  Probably my favorite thing to see in the wild.  Both groups couldn't have been more than a few days old. 

topnotch

Glad to hear poult sighting being reported.
Adds some optimism, for future years.

Turkeyman

I'm hunting in northern NY. Talked to a couple last week...non hunters but "country people" on acreage...whereas she saw a hen with good sized poults on their property the very beginning of May. They know turkeys so I have no reason to doubt her.

ybuck

Tail Feathers

I saw some hen tracks this morning and thought I saw a faint poult track near it.  Wasn't sure but I wouldn't be surprised.  Closed out season here today.  We had one gobbling early that was smoking hot.  Then he hung up about 100 yards out and wouldn't budge.  We couldn't seal the deal and get my grandson a bird this year.  But man what a way to close one out.  I never would have thought one would gobble that hard and much this late in the spring. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bbcoach

Quote from: topnotch on May 14, 2022, 12:02:30 PM
Glad to hear poult sighting being reported.
Adds some optimism, for future years.
As Topnotch said, seeing healthy poult numbers gives us Great Optimism that the turkey numbers for our area will continue to grow.  Here in Eastern NC, I've talked with non hunters and hunters alike and all say they are seeing turkeys in places we didn't see them 15 years ago.  On our lease, the population continues to grow and expand to different areas so it is very encouraging to see the young ones each Spring.  It is my hope that it continues for many years to come!

Tom007

Yesterday in NJ I saw a hen with 10 poults, lord I hope they all make it........
"Solo hunter"

Sasha and Abby

seen two groups of poults two weeks ago in SC