turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I may regret this

Started by Sir-diealot, May 11, 2022, 10:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

No explanation needed sir-diealot - You have a solid game plan and sticking to it, exercising our choices is a great freedom. I certainly respect you for having a plan and seeing it out.

After reading my post over it appears I condradict myself when I said I killed 2 out of three gobblers in a group then complain about people wiping out a gobbler group. Let me expand on that. I meant to say kill every available gobbler on a tract infuriates me. The two I killed were actually a small sub-group on a tarct that had 12 mature gobblers on it and those were 2 of 3 harvested off that range. So it was a managed harvest as you say. We have manged the harvest on this range for decades and it has held a strong flock of birds annually.

High plains drifter

I had to pass on a bird recently, because I didn't like the shot, and I didn't want to wound him.It was only 30 yards, but there was a big tree, and another gobbler right next to him.I could have accidentally hit the other one. I'm ok with it.It was fun to call them in.I just wasn't set up right.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eggshell on May 26, 2022, 03:17:15 PM
No explanation needed sir-diealot - You have a solid game plan and sticking to it, exercising our choices is a great freedom. I certainly respect you for having a plan and seeing it out.

After reading my post over it appears I condradict myself when I said I killed 2 out of three gobblers in a group then complain about people wiping out a gobbler group. Let me expand on that. I meant to say kill every available gobbler on a tract infuriates me. The two I killed were actually a small sub-group on a tarct that had 12 mature gobblers on it and those were 2 of 3 harvested off that range. So it was a managed harvest as you say. We have manged the harvest on this range for decades and it has held a strong flock of birds annually.
Thanks for explaining, I was confused by it. I don't want to make it out like I am taking part in any great management practice, I just want to do what I can to help them so I let jakes walk in the Spring (still not sure how I feel about taking them in the Fall) and I will not take a hen ever.

I think I am aided by the one guy as he does not seem to have the greatest hearing. He keeps saying he can't understand how everybody is hearing them gobble but him, I have heard them from where I am over where he is just lighting it up and he is not hearing them. I actually feel quite sorry for him. I want to say something to him but am afraid he will get angry and tell me I can't hunt there anymore. I lose that place I no longer have anyplace to hunt.

Quote from: High plains drifter on May 27, 2022, 12:36:51 AM
I had to pass on a bird recently, because I didn't like the shot, and I didn't want to wound him.It was only 30 yards, but there was a big tree, and another gobbler right next to him.I could have accidentally hit the other one. I'm ok with it.It was fun to call them in.I just wasn't set up right.
You made the right choice then, never take that shot, only an idiot would. People that take that shot make us all look bad when a wounded turkey shows up with pellets in it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Twowithone

You got a couple more days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

quavers59

Did you get the Paintbrush yet?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: quavers59 on May 29, 2022, 12:59:14 PM
Did you get the Paintbrush yet?
Had a shot on him today, I should not have taken it though, he was way to my right and I am a right handed shooter, I was leaning way forward to try to get the shot. Went and checked and no feathers or blood, also much further than I realized or I would not have even contemplated it. I am actually quite upset with myself for taking such a stupid shot.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Happy

That sucks Steve. Hopefully no harm done and worse case scenario you can get to play the game with him next year.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on May 29, 2022, 05:30:15 PM
That sucks Steve. Hopefully no harm done and worse case scenario you can get to play the game with him next year.

Yea I have Tuesday left, but then it is over. Would have had him if hen would not have taken him away. I am sure I am not the first to think that. By the way the two are always together so I have taken to calling them Frick and Frack, I am after Frick

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Well tomorrow is the last day, going to end the season the way I started it, with calls and strikers I made/put together and my camera gear. No matter how it turns out this has been the best season I have ever had, I am quite happy turkey or not. 3 pot calls, a box call and some mouth calls to get them to pop their head up if they get close enough. I did not make the mouth calls, other members here did.

John Koenig:

Happy

Best of luck to you sir. Glad you enjoyed your season and hope you get a great day tomorrow to cap it all off.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Turkeybutt

Steve good luck today! Keep us posted.

Yelper

What No gun!! :TooFunny:

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 30, 2022, 07:52:32 PM
Well tomorrow is the last day, going to end the season the way I started it, with calls and strikers I made/put together and my camera gear. No matter how it turns out this has been the best season I have ever had, I am quite happy turkey or not. 3 pot calls, a box call and some mouth calls to get them to pop their head up if they get close enough. I did not make the mouth calls, other members here did.

Tom007

Go get em Steve!. Good luck....
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on May 30, 2022, 08:14:09 PM
Best of luck to you sir. Glad you enjoyed your season and hope you get a great day tomorrow to cap it all off.

Thanks bud, no luck today, got to see some deer, a hen and a chipmunk got into the blind, that was interesting. lol

Quote from: Turkeybutt on May 31, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
Steve good luck today! Keep us posted.
Thanks bud, lots of nothing today lol I did see a hen and a few deer, no buck though, I have seen a ton of deer this year but not a single buck. Chipmunk got into the blind, thought I saw something go blazing by, looked down and then he went blazing the other way, then he went every way, then he tried to jump out the window and got caught in the netting, then he got out and went every which way and then left the way he came in! Kind of funny, but I don't dig rodents!

Quote from: Yelper on May 31, 2022, 09:41:22 AM
What No gun!! :TooFunny:

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 30, 2022, 07:52:32 PM

Well I just kinda figured I would kill him with ugly.

Quote from: Tom007 on May 31, 2022, 10:00:38 AM
Go get em Steve!. Good luck....
Thanks bud, not luck but it is always a good day in the turkey woods. I have seen more this year than the previous 3 years combined, I got to take some nice pictures, got to drop some weight walking in and out, got to hear God's creatures waking up, saw some nice sun rises and am just really satisfied with the season overall. The way my knees were hurting I did not even think I would get to hunt before I got the shots in my knees, those shots sure helped! Oh I guess one of the highlights of the season is hitting a deer and doing absolutely no damage at all earlier in the season, I think it either hit the bumper or got it's head in the wheel-well. Really happy considered the vehicle I drive is not my own.

John Koenig:

Old Timer

Steve, congrats! You did well. You got some photography talent, really enjoyed those photos. Thanks