turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I may regret this

Started by Sir-diealot, May 11, 2022, 10:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Have not seen your posts on huntingny lately.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: quavers59 on May 12, 2022, 07:53:50 PM
Have not seen your posts on huntingny lately.
No I have not been there much, I have actually been very busy for me. I did post something about a book I was looking for, I go no replies though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

topnotch

Sounds like we are in the presents of a true hunter !
Need more hunters to be selective in the shot they take.
My hat is off to you sir.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: paboxcall on May 11, 2022, 11:14:09 AM
Your hunt, your terms, and seeing birds is already a win.

Absolutely!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on May 11, 2022, 11:33:49 AM
You won wether you pulled the trigger or not.

Agreed!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Cottonmouth

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 11, 2022, 10:53:08 AM
I may regret this but I turned him away, very easy shot. I want that paintbrush I saw and this is the only spot I have to sit so I don't want to spook the paintbrush by shooting.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Take the bird you want.  You won't regret it even if you don't get him this season.  I've done the same with a double beard in Mississippi which is pretty rare. Nothing wrong with passing a bird up. Shows maturity in my opinion. Not always about numbers.

TrackeySauresRex

Great photos a definitely a great hunt regardless  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Turkeybutt

Steve, you hunt on your terms and be happy with your decisions and the accolades that come with it.
You and old paintbrush will cross paths again. It's not always about killing a turkey ( as most of us know) and more about the game of chess we play with each other. Sometimes the turkey wins, sometimes we win.  There are times we don't get to finish the game and we postpone it for another day!
Let us know when you get Old Paintbrush. Good Luck!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: topnotch on May 12, 2022, 09:58:13 PM
Sounds like we are in the presents of a true hunter !
Need more hunters to be selective in the shot they take.
My hat is off to you sir.
I'm nothing special, but thanks.

Quote from: Cottonmouth on May 14, 2022, 09:24:19 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 11, 2022, 10:53:08 AM
I may regret this but I turned him away, very easy shot. I want that paintbrush I saw and this is the only spot I have to sit so I don't want to spook the paintbrush by shooting.

Take the bird you want.  You won't regret it even if you don't get him this season.  I've done the same with a double beard in Mississippi which is pretty rare. Nothing wrong with passing a bird up. Shows maturity in my opinion. Not always about numbers.
No, I have only gotten the one but still enjoy the adventure. More than I ever thought I would get after my last car accident so I am happy.

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on May 15, 2022, 10:04:54 AM
Great photos a definitely a great hunt regardless  :icon_thumright:
Thanks, this is a hen from this morning, the same bearded one I have seen several times. I knew they could have beards but never realized how thick and long their beards could get till this morning. This pic does not show it though, just a fun picture. Looks like it is trying to teach Daniel LaRusso how to do the Crane Kick in the Karate Kid.

Quote from: Turkeybutt on May 15, 2022, 12:51:07 PM
Steve, you hunt on your terms and be happy with your decisions and the accolades that come with it.
You and old paintbrush will cross paths again. It's not always about killing a turkey ( as most of us know) and more about the game of chess we play with each other. Sometimes the turkey wins, sometimes we win.  There are times we don't get to finish the game and we postpone it for another day!
Let us know when you get Old Paintbrush. Good Luck!
I will be sure to do, I did not even think I would get the chance to hunt with how my knees have been as well as other problems, thank God for shots in the knees.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Marc

Well...  Did you get him?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Marc on May 25, 2022, 11:46:11 PM
Well...  Did you get him?
Getting ready to head out an try again, I have 5 more days. Set up a second blind in an area I see many of them going yesterday, going to let it sit today and then hunt it tomorrow.

John Koenig:

GobbleNut

First of all, your willingness to pass on shooting a gobbler when you could have done so is admirable.  In this day and age, more of us need to have that self-restraint at times.   :icon_thumright:

However, the thing that keeps coming back into my mind about your situation is how you would conclude that a single gun-shot and associated bird retrieval in an area would result in other birds completely abandoning that area? ...And especially when you still have three weeks in the season to hunt there?  Perhaps others here could expand upon situations where they shot a gobbler in an area and other turkeys there disappeared for the rest of the season, but I personally have never witnessed that. 

Now, again, I am not being critical of your decision not to shoot.  Good for you in making that decision.  Maybe your reasoning had something to do with not wanting to kill more than one gobbler on the property?  If it was a management decision,...again, good for you.  However, I personally believe that whether or not you shot that gobbler most likely would have had no impact whatsoever on your chances of killing your target bird,...especially, again, when he had three weeks to settle down after-the-fact.

...Just for the sake of discussion, I am wondering if others here are having the same thoughts,...or if they feel differently...

Sir-diealot

In blind so can't answer well but season ends May 31 for me. Chosing not to shoot Jake's for me is a management decision yes, chose not to shoot 5 I saw last year which were all I saw all last season and I would like to think that is why things are looking so good this season. There is just something about that bronze one that has gotten my fancy this year, I want him and if not I don't care if I eat tag soup, he is under my skin. Sorry fat fingers on a phone.

John Koenig:

eggshell

I have to agree with gobblenut here. Actually, three years ago I had a group of three I was working on and I had picked one of the three out I wanted. The first day I called them in, what I thought was my target bird stuck his head out from behind a tree at 25 yards and I cut him down. It turned out to be one of the subordinate birds. I wasn't too upset as it was a good bird and good hunt. Three days later I returned and called the other two in and killed the Boss just above where I killed his buddy. He walked right past the previous kill spot. I have known guys to wipe out a whole gobbler group through a season. I have never been a part of such shenanigans and it infuriates me when guys do it, but that's another topic. So I respect your choices, but I think you will be fine if you take another gobbler. However, your restraint is admirable and if that's your belief and choice, good for you and being disciplined.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eggshell on May 26, 2022, 10:26:00 AM
I have to agree with gobblenut here. Actually, three years ago I had a group of three I was working on and I had picked one of the three out I wanted. The first day I called them in, what I thought was my target bird stuck his head out from behind a tree at 25 yards and I cut him down. It turned out to be one of the subordinate birds. I wasn't too upset as it was a good bird and good hunt. Three days later I returned and called the other two in and killed the Boss just above where I killed his buddy. He walked right past the previous kill spot. I have known guys to wipe out a whole gobbler group through a season. I have never been a part of such shenanigans and it infuriates me when guys do it, but that's another topic. So I respect your choices, but I think you will be fine if you take another gobbler. However, your restraint is admirable and if that's your belief and choice, good for you and being disciplined.
I chose not to shoot one the other day because it was just too hot and I don't have the experience with cleaning them and I didn't want the meat to go bad so I chose just to let it go. Found out afterwards that the store that I would have gotten ice at to keep it cool went out of business so kind of happy I didn't shoot, him I don't want to just shoot it to shoot it and waste the meat at all.

I am hunting in another place on Mondays when I'm driving the Mennonite while he's doing his thing I'm hunting another property so I do have the option to take something on that other property if something comes my way.

I'm Seeing a lot of hen the past 2 or 3 days.

John Koenig: