only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Man Killed While Turkey Hunting

Started by Dr Juice, May 10, 2022, 04:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeybutt

Tragic story!
Dr. Juice thanks for sharing.
Thoughts and prayers go out to each family.

Dr Juice

Happy

I am friends with one of his friends. It should have never happened.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ChesterCopperpot

People can say what they want about turkey hunting with rifles and they can say I'm trying to take their opportunity away but when you've got a pursuit that requires you not wear hunter orange, and you've got people crawling around on the ground at distance setting up or just changing position around a decoy spread, it's a wonder this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dublelung

I've still never seen a human who looks anything like a turkey, deer, hog, coyote, or whatever. Rifles should be illegal in every state when it comes to turkey hunting.

Stickbow98

Deeply saddened to read this.
My absolute #1 rule if seeing another hunter nearby is to make him aware of my presence. Might cost me a bird, but it might also ensure I live another day to pursue him.
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

Zobo

Horrible news, we must learn from every one of these accounts, there's no such thing as being too careful. Sending many prayers
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Cowboy

Prayers for his family and GF. Terrible thing to happen. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

eggshell

One poor decision Many lives ruined, years of heart ache to follow. I have no words to preach at anyone, but telling the story helps keep us on our toes.  I know these feelings all too well, I am only sad and feel like crying....

roosterstraw

Is it legal to hunt with a rifle during turkey season in W.VA?

PNWturkey

What a tragedy.

Interesting that WV doesn't allow rifles during youth turkey season, but does allow them during general season.

From a safety standpoint, it is noteworthy that the hunters saw the other hunter sit down at the base of a tree, yet continued to hunt in their spot amongst their decoys.

I would be interested to hear what others on this forum would do in that situation where you see another unknown hunter sit down in the woods...

vt35mag

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 10, 2022, 07:44:16 AM
People can say what they want about turkey hunting with rifles and they can say I'm trying to take their opportunity away but when you've got a pursuit that requires you not wear hunter orange, and you've got people crawling around on the ground at distance setting up or just changing position around a decoy spread, it's a wonder this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Marc

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 10, 2022, 07:44:16 AM

I am adamantly opposed to allowing rifle shooting to kill turkeys...  Conservation, ethics, and safety are all good arguments.

However, I have found that being on such forums, and personally surrounding myself with like-minded people, I am often in a small echo-chamber.  I would hope that if given a survey, that most turkey hunters would be opposed to allowing rifles for turkey hunting...  Or shooting birds off the roost...  Or allowing electronic calls...  But I would not be astonished to be disappointed on any of these.

Quote from: PNWturkey on May 11, 2022, 06:37:32 PM
I would be interested to hear what others on this forum would do in that situation where you see another unknown hunter sit down in the woods...
Depends on the situation.  How close is he? 

I would likely shine my red headlight at him...  If he is under 200 yards, I might turn on that light and either move, or head over (red light on) and have a chat if he does not move after seeing my light.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

eggshell

There is no doubt in all God's creation what this old boy would do. I would not move an inch except for my lips which would have been yelling, "hey hunter over here!" Then if he didn't acknowledge that I'd yell again and say tell me you see me, then I'd get up and leave". Believe me beyong all doubt I would do this and say the hell with any turkey. I have learned my lessons the hard way and most of you know what that means. Please never assume the other guy will be safe or not do domething stupid.