OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The TSS flutter?

Started by bwhana, May 05, 2022, 03:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Shory answer , some do some dont. Just like shooting deer. Floored some and some ran a little. Almost exact same shot with a 300 win mag.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

silvestris

I don't shoot it, but TSS contains a much greater number of shot than lead.  I would think than it is most likely that with TSS one's pattern would destroy the part of the bird's brain that controls whether flopping would or would not occur.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Wigsplitter

Not much flop at all on most tss kills for me as compared to the long beards I was shooting- it will flat clean their plow!!  :z-guntootsmiley:

WV Flopper

Anybody have a good way to kill a skunk without spraying?

RLAG

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 05, 2022, 04:03:01 PM
I've noticed a lot more "no-flop" birds with TSS too.  My theory is that if you take the brain stem out they don't flop.  With the denser patterns TSS provides I think we may be hitting that more often.  Just a theory tho.
If that were the case, why do birds still flop when they're shot with an arrow that cuts their head clean off? Chickens still run around with their heads cut off

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

joey46

Flopping a part of the game.  Shot one yesterday with Apex 8 1/2 TSS.  He flopped some but didn't go anywhere.  The old "chicken with his head cut off" story.  Got scars on both hands from reaching for a flopper too soon.

Happy

Seems about the same as lead with me. Some flop and some just give a few half hearted flaps of their wings. The cleanest kill I ever had was with hevishot #6 at about 30 yards. When I pulled the trigger he was standing in a small depression that maybe covered his lower 3rd. He just disappeared. I sat there covering the area and it was perfectly still. When I slowly walked up he lay there stretched out. Never even twitched as far as I could tell.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

They don't flop much out to about seventy yards or so.  I have noticed they flop a bit on those eighty to a hunnert yard shots, though, just based on what I have seen on some of the videos from "the pro's"...   ;D :angel9: :toothy9: :newmascot:

dzsmith

I've dang near decapitated birds at almost point blank range.... And they still flopped. It's an involuntary function of dying. All animals do it in some form or fashion. There's a difference in witnessing this involuntary function and basically breaking one down and having to stomp him to death. But I've killed very few birds that didn't at some point at least after your pick them up flop a little . I've shot coons between then eyes in a trap , and watched that leg go to kicking ..... it happens. However .... Sometimes you do kill things that simply lock up and die. I don't think if you shoot a bird at 35 with lead and 45 with tss is gunna make a difference in whether they flop. Because like I said ... I've powdered there head at nearly point blank with both lead and tss and they still flopped. Makes a bloody mess lol
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

lmbunch69

I think it's like anything. Some do some don't. I shoot a lot of squirrels each year with 22s. Almost all head shots some seem to hang on and twitch in the tree for up to a minute before falling and some drop stone dead and never move.

TrackeySauresRex

Lead #4's has that same effect.... Sometimes. ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

tjstinson13

Shot mine with longbeard xr this year.  Didn't go twenty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwhana

Complete speculation on my part, but the comments about increased brain stem damage and hits seems very plausible. 

Another theory I have is that I have not found a single TSS #9 pellet in any bird I've taken (only used #9), and that the smaller shot with complete pass throughs are the real reason for the flutter versus the flop (sucks out their souls like a wraith!).  I always found #5 pellets when I was using LBXR, usually stuck just inside the skin on the neck and head on the opposite site from the shot, and always got flopping.  The majority of my shots have been right at the 40 yd mark (I take that shot every time I can without letting them get closer as personal preference), with a very few sprinkled in the 20ish and 40+, and I have wasted more ammo at the range in the past 10 years than anyone should, so my guns are always sniper quality sighted in.

dzsmith

Quote from: bwhana on May 07, 2022, 12:44:39 PM
Complete speculation on my part, but the comments about increased brain stem damage and hits seems very plausible. 

Another theory I have is that I have not found a single TSS #9 pellet in any bird I've taken (only used #9), and that the smaller shot with complete pass throughs are the real reason for the flutter versus the flop (sucks out their souls like a wraith!).  I always found #5 pellets when I was using LBXR, usually stuck just inside the skin on the neck and head on the opposite site from the shot, and always got flopping.  The majority of my shots have been right at the 40 yd mark (I take that shot every time I can without letting them get closer as personal preference), with a very few sprinkled in the 20ish and 40+, and I have wasted more ammo at the range in the past 10 years than anyone should, so my guns are always sniper quality sighted in.
yeah I remember people talking about 9s always passing through ....I've been using tss 4-5 years now . And I've found plenty of #9s that's didn't pass through. Make a less than desirable shot , and catch a little breast and you'll find some. Because the pellets are so small and do such little trauma compared to bigger shot , it can be hard to find the pellets to dig out .... Now that is a fact. If your even think a pellet is in there , it probably is .... See a little dark spec in the meet lay and you think it's a vein.... Nope it's a little feather sucked right in there by yhe pellet.  They absolutely penetrate better , but  I do find the pellets in the turkeys , just about every one i shoot .... Ill shoot one at 20 and still manage to catch one pellet somewhere random on the bird and wonder how did that get there .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

ChesterCopperpot

Shot three this year, two with #8.5 and one with #9. The #9 out of a 20ga was stone cold dead. The #8.5 out of a 12ga didn't move till I touched him and then the typical wing flaps. The #8.5 out of a 20ga I shot him on the edge of a road and he went to flopping and fell off the side and down the mountain he went. It was straight off. He wound up 300yds or so at the bottom. And he was clobbered, like too close honestly, and not much head left to him. My buddy was back up at the road snapping pictures of my misery when I finally made it back up to the top. Here's the last 15yds or so. All that to say, it depends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk