Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

High Jake population how to hunt longbeards ?

Started by Bobby5, May 04, 2022, 03:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

I'm having a problem with a gang of 6 jakes running off toms about every hunt. I hunt a 15 acre field and have been seeing 2 different toms. I've tried no decoy one hen, two hens but haven't tried a hen jake combo. Figured it would scare the mature birds off but didn't know if a tom just saw one jake instead of 6 it might work. How would you guys hunt this situation. Just sit and hopefully you get lucky?

budtripp

Come back next year when they're all 2 yr olds and clean house

bigriverbum

my nephew couldn't get a shot off on 3 redheads we saw last week. i'm certain they were jakes.  never saw anything but the tops of their heads

went to the same spot today and called them in to 5 yards. only 2 this time.  i gave them a half hour to leave before calling again.

as soon as the calling stopped i hear frantic running from about 50 yards aways. lol. those boys were DESIROUS!

Kylongspur88

How many tags do you have? I'd turn a group of 6 jakes into 5 with no hesitation. Maybe ditch the Jake decoy too. Me personally, I'd get out of the field those jakes are terrorizing and hunt gobblers in the woods. Do a little listening in the mornings and target those lone birds. Watch those toms coming and going in the field and set up inside the wood line nearby. Just my thoughts.   

bigriverbum

states should sell jake only tags. then just go out with the "intention" of shooting a jake and you'll only see toms

just like how when you turkey hunt, squirrels and deer land in your lap, but when you hunt them they're nowhere to be found

Cottonmouth

I just got home from the midwest,  and the jakes are everywhere. Longbeards wouldn't even gobble because they were getting beat up so bad. I managed to get 2 nice longbeards, but I hope the jakes survive.  Too many Mississippi guys up there shooting every jake they see just to come home bragging that they slaughtered them, leaving out the part that they are all jakes. I must have called in 25.

jmerchant1

How about a full strutter with a hen? Jakes will have a hard time running off a plastic tom that's staked in the ground. They may try to intimidate him with their numbers but I doubt they'll attack it. Maybe they'll leave when they realize he's standing his ground. Might give the other two toms you've been seeing some confidence too to move in.

AndyH

I have a property that I've seen up to 10 Jakes. They have run all the gobblers off except one. He doesn't gobble much and roosts in a different area every time I've been out there to hunt. I had him coming last Saturday until I believe he saw my hen decoy and he high tailed it out of dodge. Only way I know of to kill him is sit near one of his roosts and hope he is roosted in there that morning. I'm not into evening hunting trying to kill them coming back to roost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Sounds like a good future but for now I'd just keep at it until I found a bird that wants to die.  I'm a run and gun guy at heart and being mobile and adaptable is what makes it fun for me.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WV Flopper

I have NO good info for you. I have been covered up in Jake's all spring. In VA I had trouble with six Jake's, if a LB gobbled here they came. One morning I had a LB walk by me on my gun side, when I let him walk and turned around here those boys came.
Six times this year I have had trouble with Jake's. Sunday I had a LB fly off the roost in the dark, he started gobbling very good well before. I could occasionally make out a black blob as he went by me. Then the Jake's started! I followed that LB until he went where I couldn't go.
This morning the Jake's were 500 yards from the LB's roost. It took a good half an hour longer than it should but I did manage to get that LB. Here the Jake's came, 3 of them. I have a picture of the Jake pecking the LB. They are something.
I seen 19 Jake's this morning down along the river afterwards, quit the mob. Its great I am seeing so many Jake's, but sure would like to hunt without them interfering myself.

crow

wolverine decoys,

most effective when place near beaver ponds

ferocious calls

Enjoy the jakes until the bird you want wants to play.

High plains drifter

Quote from: crow on May 04, 2022, 11:09:58 PM
wolverine decoys,

most effective when place near beaver ponds
hahaha. Maybe they did run that wolverine off, and the bear.I can't figure it out!

shatcher

If you insist on continuing to hunt this field, leave the decoys at the house.  Nevermind where that LB might be gobbling if he's coming to the field.  Set up where he exits the field consistently and call softly and not very often.  You can get him that way.  Otherwise, the jakes have obviously taken over the field, a good problem for next year.

If that strategy tries your patience, go deeper in the woods.  The LBs get tired of those jakes and will often retreat to another spot.

Good luck.

TonyTurk

The next time you hunt, resolve in your mind, before you go, that you are absolutely going to shoot the first jake that comes into range.

This should ensure that you don't see a jake all day.