turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got on a good one

Started by ChesterCopperpot, May 03, 2022, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Got on a good one this morning. It's rare for birds to get good spurs up here. Usually bust them up or rub them off on the rocks. Killed an old bird last year had 1-3/8" spurs that was round as pencil erasers. But this old boy this morning, he had the gaffs! 1-5/8" spurs. And he was the shortest thing I ever seen, I mean a Danny DeVito sort of fellow who was toting straight daggers. I still like late season best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC

Congrats Chester, great picture, must have been the "lucky horseshoe"!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Wisgobbler

Man, that's a great bird! Congratulations. It sure is green there! Just starting to break buds open on the trees here.

Yoder409

Great bird !!!   

Congrats !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Old Timer

bear hunter

Congrats thats a giant mountain bird.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: JeffC on May 03, 2022, 08:05:29 PM
This is probably my favorite part of this story: the man I hunt with is about 25yrs my senior and he's a hell of a turkey hunter. So he told me a story today about how when he used to hunt with another fellow that they'd always meet at an old IGA called Harold's. He said every morning he'd be waiting and he'd hear this horse nay and never could figure out where it was coming from, who around there had a horse. Finally he figured out it was a little electric rocking horse outside the store for kids. He said he got tickled and started rubbing the horse's head for luck every morning. Other day he got to remembering that. He said he ain't done it in probably 15-20yrs. This morning he swung into Harold's and rubbed that horse's head for luck. Evidently it worked

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Yoteduster

Congrats on a nice gobbler

crow

Congrats on a good one,
Sharp pictures, nice setting for the first one

Zobo

Yes, that's some beautiful terrain your hunting, congrats
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

paboxcall

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 03, 2022, 08:26:51 PM
Quote from: JeffC on May 03, 2022, 08:05:29 PM
This is probably my favorite part of this story: the man I hunt with is about 25yrs my senior and he's a hell of a turkey hunter. So he told me a story today about how when he used to hunt with another fellow that they'd always meet at an old IGA called Harold's. He said every morning he'd be waiting and he'd hear this horse nay and never could figure out where it was coming from, who around there had a horse. Finally he figured out it was a little electric rocking horse outside the store for kids. He said he got tickled and started rubbing the horse's head for luck every morning. Other day he got to remembering that. He said he ain't done it in probably 15-20yrs. This morning he swung into Harold's and rubbed that horse's head for luck. Evidently it worked

Congrats, Chester! And that's a cool story.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

owlhoot

Congrats , very nice bird.

Turkeybutt

Congratulation on a nice bird!

bonasa

Congrats, nice big ole bird