turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One of the best hunts of my life - long read

Started by tjstinson13, May 02, 2022, 07:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjstinson13

So this morning, my 18 year old son and I started off the morning at a new property.  Had some birds gobbling early but nothing super close.  Had a few hens come into our setup but no make birds.  About 845, my buddy text me and said he had scored on our camp property and he was probably going to be leaving bc he had to get home for some family commitments.  He wanted me to come help him dress his turkey out and etc bc he'd never done it before.  So I told my son to sit tight. This property is only about a half mile from our camp, so I figured he could hunt while I helped my buddy out. 

Went and helped my buddy out and did it as quickly as possible.  Call my son back and he is saying there's two hens out in front of him and he thought he heard a gobble up the hill.  So I hangout a little while and he calls me back and said the hens are gone and he hasn't heard a gobble in awhile.  I then decide to come back and hunt with him.

I get back in the blind about 930 and said alright we'll hunt until about 1.  My other buddies text me and said they were coming down about 1115 and my son says we'll, I am kinda hungry and I could use a nap.  It had been raining off and on and I just had a feelin that we would see birds in the field.  I said well, let's wait until 12pm and then we'll head back for lunch. 

About 1145 I hear a gobble.  We're setup in this woodlot at the end of a 400-500 yard long hay field.  I am looking through the binos at this field and I see nothing but I could've swore it came from the far end of that field.  I call a couple times and nothing answers me.

1150 and my son is like can we go?  I said ten more minutes.

1155 and I look towards the edge of the field and there's two redheads coming our way.  I do some soft calling and they start to skirt the edge of us and then they see the decoys and they head right at us.  I look at my son and I said there's two and ones for sure a Tom - do you want to shoot him?  He says yes.  I said ok.  He says actually, let's just pull a double - I'll shoot the lead and you shoot the rear.  I said ok.  Birds come in and close the distance to 30 but they are right next to one another and keep switching from lead to follow.

We get them to separate finally and we touch off and both drop!! My sons bird is a double bearded Jake with a 3.5 inch and 5 inch beard.  Mine is a Tom with a 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.  My son harvested his bird with my dads gun (his grandfather) who passed away in 2013.  We both had some hugs, high fives, and a few tears as well. 

Probably one of the best days of my life.  I like to think that dad is sitting upstairs somewhere and looking down with a huge smile. Maybe even a congratulatory beer raised as well.  Thanks for reading and hope you all have good luck and a great of the season.  I am tagged out for 2022 and I am so happy to have done it in the way that I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

Great story, congrats to both of you. Something tells me granddad is looking down with a proud smile.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Marc

Thank you for sharing. :icon_thumright:

On my screen, your son's bird looks like a tom.  That fan looks even across.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

Congratulations to all three of you that were in the blind.  (I think you know what I mean...)

Tail Feathers

Congrats!  Kudos to the young man for using grandpa's gun.  That's a special memory.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mountainhunter1

Congrats, as that is a great morning - and your patience to hang it out a few more minutes was the key. Patience will always kill turkeys when not much else will.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Old Timer

Congrats to both of you! Nothing like a father son hunt. Nice birds also. Great job!

JeffC

lacire

At 1150 and my son is like can we go?  :TooFunny: congratulations.

Yoteduster

tomstopper

That's awesome. Congratulations to you both

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

Congratulations to both of you and I'm sure he was watching with a big smile and a beer in hand the whole time.

eggshell