turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobblers Gobbling / Something to think About - Hens

Started by Greg Massey, April 29, 2022, 04:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

This has really been a strange year for gobblers gobbling in my area along with storms, wind and cold days. Very little gobbling other than just a few early season choice days. Like maybe 4 days out of 30 days so far of what i would call good gobbling. So if the gobblers are not gobbling how are the hens supposed to fine these gobblers for breeding? I have been covered up with Jake's in groups of 3 - 4 and hens coming this year to the calls. I Have even seen groups of hens still together last week. But in the last several days not a gobble. So again if they aren't gobbling how do the hens find the gobblers for breeding? I say in a non gobbling year this contributes to possibly bad hatch for the hens. Opinions

bwhana

Almost all of the gobblers (not counting jakes) I have observed all season have been with hens with almost zero gobbling, and they have stuck together all day, without losing the hens, so I wouldn't expect any impact on egg production.  They don't need to gobble when the hens are with them in sight 24/7 and can drum to keep them around.  That is at least what is happening in various parts of NC where I have hunted.  It is odd that they are doing this so late into the season, but the weather can't decide if it is spring or winter yet either. I have also noticed more lone hens this season.

ferocious calls

A turkey hunting mentor once told me "they don't even have to talk, they know where the other is or how to find them when desired".

wchadw

I had similar season in central MS hunting private land. Went about once a week. Round first part of April they gobbled on roost but went silent after fly down. Seen trail cam pics last week with hens with strutter after 4pm
All Toms I killed came in silent. Called in hens and Jake's no vocalizations from any of them. Just been kinda weird
Been severe weather seems like every week this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

The hens know where the gobblers leks are and when they get there, there he is.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

lmbunch69

Been the same here for me. 3rd day of season and birds gobble good off the roost every morning but once their feet hit the ground they hardly gobble again. With hens all day long.

Greg Massey

It's strange that people say they know where the gobblers are and the gobblers know where the hens are, because i have not seen this and i'm in the same place these hens are etc... I'm not seeing that at all...

Paulmyr

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 29, 2022, 09:51:22 PM
It's strange that people say they know where the gobblers are and the gobblers know where the hens are, because i have not seen this and i'm in the same place these hens are etc... I'm not seeing that at all...

I think you may have answered your own question. Are groups of Jake's the norm in your area? Reports I've hear from the south tells of Jake's all over. Same from my limited experience so far in the north. Jake's all over means a good hatch the previous spring. With plenty of hens and bands of Jake's running around there's good chance gobblers aren't gobbling because they have hens with them and are tired of being harassed when they do gobble. Not saying this is what's happening but it's something to think about.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 29, 2022, 10:11:32 PM

I think you may have answered your own question. Are groups of Jake's the norm in your area? Reports I've hear from the south tells of Jake's all over. Same from my limited experience so far in the north. Jake's all over means a good hatch the previous spring. With plenty of hens and bands of Jake's running around there's good chance gobblers aren't gobbling because they have hens with them and are tired of being harassed when they do gobble. Not saying this is what's happening but it's something to think about.
That's a good point... yes plenty of Jakes and hens also... Just over week ago i seen a group of hens together , it was 6 together, and for this time of the year that's very usual.

redleg06

They're probably just with hens already and don't need to gobble much. My guess is they are still gobbling a few times a day still but you may just not be in a position to hear them and they're almost certainly drumming.  It's pretty common to have quiet birds in my neck of the woods and when that's the case, you have to be more focused in on drumming, hen sounds, and walking in the leaves/scratching. 

mountainhunter1

Excellent point Paulmyr. Post on turkey slayer.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

bbcoach

Since retiring, almost 10 years ago, I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time in the turkey woods scouting early and often and hunting during our Eastern NC seasons.  Here are a few observations that I've seen.  1.  Early season is the best time for gobbling and killing turkeys, if you haven't gotten it done by our 3rd week you will spend a lot of time cold calling and waiting for a bird to walk by silent  2. Most of our breeding is done in March first part of April and the hens are setting on their eggs and hatching poults by the first week of May, so breeding activity is very very slow the last 2 weeks of our season.  This observation is evident by March scouting trips with gobblers and hens flocked up and the gobbling and strutting activity heavy during this time.  I believe our DNR has a good pulse on our population and has set the season to correspond with only allowing a spring season with a 2 bird limit and starting our season later after most of the breeding has been done.  As hunters, we love the thrill of hearing that thunderous gobble along with the spit and drumming of a bird working in our direction but let's face the fact that these birds are in survival mode 24 7 and when the hens are not cooperating or on their nest and raising poults our endeavours are futile and frustrating.   

GobbleNut

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 29, 2022, 10:59:39 PM

Excellent point Paulmyr. Post on turkey slayer.

Yep,...right on the money!  There is your barometer for evaluating reproduction.  Young-of-the-year hens are sometimes hard to tell from adult hens by the next spring, but jakes are pretty easy to identify.  If you are seeing good numbers of jakes running around, that is a sure sign that there was reproductive success in the preceding year.   :icon_thumright:

wchadw

One mid morning a week or so ago, I called a little and heard something behind me on logging road. I was sitting on side of a small clover field that we disked about 1/3 of to plant summer cow peas. The birds love the turned dirt I guess for bugging. A hen walked up logging road. From other side of field on one side a hen came out. From other side out came a nice big Jake. The came together and scratched around in the dirt for 30 minutes or so and left together. Maybe the all came in to my calls but didn't seem that way. None made a sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rifleman

The last 2 mornings I have had 3 gobblers in a triangular pattern on about 8 acres of moutainland gobble great on the roost even answer to clucks.  Then suddenly it is all over without any one of them coming by.  I am going to try and get parallel to the side of one in the AM and see how that works out.  Is the a better option that anyone knows of??