OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

It finally happened to me. How many of y’all have done this?

Started by aclawrence, April 27, 2022, 11:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

I went out for a shorter hunt this morning because I had some work obligations to get back for. I finished hunting and got back to the truck right at 10:00. I leaned my gun against the tree and made one last attempt to strike a gobble with my long box at the truck before I packed it up. I didn't hear anything so I load up and head home. I get a few things done at home and get ready to take the kids into town. I start unloading my turkey hunting stuff to make room for the car seats. I get out my vest, clothes, extra boots, my extra shotgun and......... where is my main shotgun. I double check the truck and there is just an empty soft case. No gun. I look back inside with my other stuff. No gun. Oh my gosh my gun is gone!  I think back to where I last had it. I remembered leaning it against the tree to try my box call at the truck. I left my shotgun leaning against a tree an hour away from home and it has been about 3-4 hours since then. Luckily this road gets very little traffic and maybe you can't even see the gun from the road. I drop the kids off and make the one hour drive my back to the WMA. I pull up to the spot and there it is leaning against the tree. I don't know if anyone had passed through there but they could have seen it if they were looking. Thank you Lord I've got my gun back. I used to make fun of people for doing stuff like this. The way I backed my truck out and swung around I never looked over. What a brain fart. So how many of y'all have left a gun behind somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I've never left one behind, but I left one in the bed of the truck once luckily I had a tailgate.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RutnNStrutn

Have never done that....... YET!!!! Glad you got it back!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

grayfox

Yes sir, the Lord was definitely looking out for you or at least your gun. I personally have never done it but it wouldn't be that hard to do. All it takes is to get your mind on something else or be distracted for a minute or two. That would be any hunter's nightmare. I did have to go back about 10-15 miles one time to retrieve a walkie talkie that my buddy accidentally drooped stepping over a small ditch beside the road. Glad it was still there for you.

Turkeybutt

Happy to hear you got your gun back. I never left my gun but the lord knows I left or forgot other things from time to time.

eggshell

I once laid one on top of the truck and didn't remember until I'd drove 3-4 miles down the road. I slowly pulled over took a deep breath and looked....it was still there, whoo. My buddy laid his down to pick mushrooms and then walked off and left it. We went back that evening and found it, but it took some serious looking

joey46

Duck hunt - 5am, unloaded boat, put decoys and other paraphernalia in it.  Pushed off and traveled down river about three miles.  Set the decoys and realized the cased guns were back at the launch site.  Left decoys in place and buzzed back at full throttle.  They were still resting against a tree.  Whew!  This had to be 40 years ago and I remember it like yesterday.  I still have that 870 Wingmaster.  My buddy's was stolen later in a house burglary.  If may have been jinked.

Tom007

I always worried that this would happen to me. I have a regiment when I get back to my truck. The FIRST thing I always do is unload my gun, open my right crew cab door and slide it in the case. I close that door. I walk to the other side of the truck, open the left door, and take off vest, sweaters, and any other gear and hang them on the clothes rod. I am sure if I did not do this, I would be driving back to my parking spot to pick something up (gun) that I left behind. I am glad you got use back.....
"Solo hunter"

Turkeyman

Not with a gun but after bowhunting for deer one fall I drove off and left my Lone Wolf tree stand by the truck. Realized it when I got home...drove the hour back to the spot. Gone.

Tomfoolery

Was goose hunting with a buddy one day and it started raining pretty good so we walked back to the truck and i leaned my gun against my front tire and hopped in the truck to wait the rain out. After a while it never stopped so we decided to go into town to grab breakfast, forgot about my gun, took off and ran right over it. Got half way down the road and realized. Luckily it was wet and soft where we had parked and the truck just kind of pushed it down into the mud.

Meleagris gallopavo

I've almost done that.  I've left the house without my gun before and had to go back and it.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

RossAnderson

Quote from: Tomfoolery on April 28, 2022, 07:27:41 AM
Was goose hunting with a buddy one day and it started raining pretty good so we walked back to the truck and i leaned my gun against my front tire and hopped in the truck to wait the rain out. After a while it never stopped so we decided to go into town to grab breakfast, forgot about my gun, took off and ran right over it. Got half way down the road and realized. Luckily it was wet and soft where we had parked and the truck just kind of pushed it down into the mud.
I just about pulled the same move. But luckily it didn't get ran over. Propped it up on the front passenger tire, got in my buddies truck and had to make a sharp left turn to get outta the spot we was in, so the gun just slid off the tire and fell to the ground. Hauled down the road to get a better position up above the bird we heard gobble a ways out. We pulled up to the new spot and got out and couldn't find my gun nowhere lol. Had to haul back and get it.

-Ross

OldSwamper

had a deadline to leave opening morning due to kids soccer practice, which I coach.  Right before stop time, I had 2 birds close, but they didn't like something and slipped away.  I quickly slipped out, to return another day.  Almost off the property, I realize I left my Watkins fiddlebox on the ground beside the tree.  Luckily, i know right where it is and go back for it, making a pretty good walk to get it.  Those 2 birds beat me multiple times before I finally got one last week.

Also once left my boat keys on my back bumper while hooking up the boat chains, lights, etc.  Made the  hour ride to the boat ramp, get out, and walk around to start getting boat ready, and keys are still sitting on back bumper.  WHEWWWW

ferocious calls

Glad you found it first. Once I was hunting a neighbors farm and leaned the gun on a tree to dig out calls. I guess all the scouting with no gun made it natural to just walk away. I got a few hundred yds away when I hear a gobble. I then remembered real fast I had a gun this time. I was young and sprinted back to retrieve it. 20 minutes later ole Tom got a shoulder ride.

Dtrkyman

I did it once, killed a bird on the opener in Missouri, leaned it against a fence post to jump the fence.

Took a client out the next morning and when I grabbed my vest I noticed the empty case, had no time to drive over and look for it, so told a friend that was in that area to check for it, morning was slow so I was actually online shopping for a new 20ga

Buddy sent a pic a while later if it leaning against the post, guarantee many people drove right by it!