OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NYS Proposed lead ammo ban

Started by Old Timer, April 23, 2022, 12:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

Assembly Bill A5728. This lead ban forbids the used of any ammo with more than 1% lead on all state lands plus NYC water sheds. It has passed in the Assembly and is thought to also pass in the Senate. If signed into law it will take effect in 2023 with no grandfather clause. Were in a race with California.

Sir-diealot

Now I see what you were talking about. Where do I go to voice opposition on this one?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Old Timer

Our State Senators. The rumor mill believes this will go through. It`s bad timing under the ammo shortage already upon us. But this does not concern the liberal progressive politician. It`s disguised as a bill to protect the environment. In reality it`s an assault on our 2nd Amendment. Good article on this in latest addition of New York Outdoor News.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Old Timer on April 23, 2022, 08:21:20 PM
Our State Senators. The rumor mill believes this will go through. It`s bad timing under the ammo shortage already upon us. But this does not concern the liberal progressive politician. It`s disguised as a bill to protect the environment. In reality it`s an assault on our 2nd Amendment. Good article on this in latest addition of New York Outdoor News.
It is their intent to make it harder on us, this is clearly by design. I love this state, it is so beautiful in so many areas but our politicians are horrible. I will not obey this law.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

the Ward

Man i feel for you NY guys, that is some ridiculous stuff. Hopefully you can put a stop to this.
It is nothing but gun control under the guise of "enviromentalism"

PNWturkey

IMO, it is just a matter of time before lead ammo is banned in many states for all types of hunting.

Might want to start thinking about switching to alternatives to lead for turkey, deer, etc.

Waterfowl hunters were initially opposed the switch to lead years ago, but now most are onboard.  Same will eventually be true of other hunting groups IMHO...

silvestris

Only if you have money to burn.  Just another of many valid reasons to stay out of the Nanny State.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

the Ward

Quote from: PNWturkey on April 24, 2022, 10:01:20 AM
IMO, it is just a matter of time before lead ammo is banned in many states for all types of hunting.

Might want to start thinking about switching to alternatives to lead for turkey, deer, etc.

Waterfowl hunters were initially opposed the switch to lead years ago, but now most are onboard.  Same will eventually be true of other hunting groups IMHO...
Most waterfowlers are definitely not on board, thus the rise and profileration of steel shot substitutes.
That was forced on the waterfowlers by what we now call"junk science" There is zero reason to ban lead for hunting purposes, it is just another lie by so called "environmentalists" to curtail hunting and shooting. Non-toxic shot is many times more expensive than lead, and will become more so in the future.

mikejd

Smart state. They have about 6 conservation officers and they want to make more stupid laws. I can go out daily
and see guys taking endless short fish and no one to enforce. We have a no baiting or feeding law.
yet you can walk into any store and buy all the bait you want and put it out with no one ever around to enforce.
Whats there plan to enforce this one.

Old Timer

Quote from: mikejd on April 24, 2022, 11:14:25 AM
Smart state. They have about 6 conservation officers and they want to make more stupid laws. I can go out daily
and see guys taking endless short fish and no one to enforce. We have a no baiting or feeding law.
yet you can walk into any store and buy all the bait you want and put it out with no one ever around to enforce.
Whats there plan to enforce this one.
There isn't one. This State loves to make laws  then rail on and destroy law enforcement. Pray for our 1st responders here their under a lot of pressure.

PNWturkey

Quote from: the Ward on April 24, 2022, 11:03:16 AM
Most waterfowlers are definitely not on board, thus the rise and profileration of steel shot substitutes.

Most waterfowl hunters I know would not hunt with lead.  YMMV...

PNWturkey

Quote from: silvestris on April 24, 2022, 10:30:39 AM
Only if you have money to burn.  Just another of many valid reasons to stay out of the Nanny State.

I'm not a fan of the nanny state either, just saying that I think the writing is on the wall for lead shot, regardless of how anyone on this forum feels about it.

Lead in soil/water, lead in condors/eagles eating deer/turkey carcasses, lead consumption by humans eating wild game - lots of reasons that this issue isn't going away in the future...

GobbleNut

Quote from: PNWturkey on April 24, 2022, 01:19:01 PM

...the writing is on the wall for lead shot, regardless of how anyone on this forum feels about it.
Lead in soil/water, lead in condors/eagles eating deer/turkey carcasses, lead consumption by humans eating wild game - lots of reasons that this issue isn't going away in the future...

This...  ^^^

Gooserbat

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 24, 2022, 01:37:45 PM
Quote from: PNWturkey on April 24, 2022, 01:19:01 PM

...the writing is on the wall for lead shot, regardless of how anyone on this forum feels about it.

This...  ^^^

Especially in liberal controlled states
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Hobbes

I'm not for it, but it'll happen in every state eventually. 

Explain the "junk science" comment, please.  I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I would want to see information/studies/data that back that up.