turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Montana gold

Started by ferocious calls, April 22, 2022, 09:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferocious calls

Gave my elk guide friend a call on my last elk hunt. Claims that one call brought this flock of toms together for the pic on opening day. 

chadly

Wow!  Bet that sounded more like a goose hunt with guns a blazing. 

High plains drifter

Thumbs down. You don't take more than 1 from a flock.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ferocious calls

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 23, 2022, 11:33:28 PM
Thumbs down. You don't take more than 1 from a flock.

4 separate hunts and lol.

CowHunter71

No offense, but must not have been very challenging to have killed that many.

Yoder409

Quote from: CowHunter71 on April 24, 2022, 06:08:41 PM

Some people ARE just that good.    ;)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

CowHunter71

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 24, 2022, 08:42:00 PM
Quote from: CowHunter71 on April 24, 2022, 06:08:41 PM

Some people ARE just that good.    ;)
I would argue that some Turkeys just ain't that hard to kill, especially some outfitters pets ;) To each their own though.

GobbleNut

That's a pile of gobblers to have been taken by four hunters on opening day somewhere...or anywhere.
I have to admit that I've taken part in a few photos like that one over the years.  Every single one of them was due to being able to hunt a lightly-hunted property that had tons of birds on it.  Now, I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with that.  Those kinds of hunts are nice to have once in a while, but they are no reflection on the skill levels of the hunters involved. 

Regardless of whether a guy is hunting in Montana, Alabama, Florida, or any other state, the conditions and circumstances under which one is hunting often determine whether a picture like that is possible when all is said and done. 

Honestly, I would rather be part of a picture like that one than the other extreme (which, I will admit, I have also had a number of opportunities to be a part of)...   ;D :D :angel9:

High plains drifter

I'm putting a big thumbs down on that whole outfit. That's all.

Yoder409

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 24, 2022, 11:29:50 PM

You're running out of thumbs FAST..........    :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

the Ward

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 25, 2022, 09:35:21 AM
Quote from: High plains drifter on April 24, 2022, 11:29:50 PM

You're running out of thumbs FAST..........    :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
[/quote
Lol! :TooFunny:    Congrats to the O.P. looks like those fella's had a hunt of a lifetime right there.

ferocious calls

2nd from left is Steve. He is that good. He called them all over a 5 hour period. To his left is his father who is also that good. I never hunted their birds to say the level of difficulty.

Marc

Quote from: ferocious calls on April 25, 2022, 09:08:34 PM
2nd from left is Steve. He is that good. He called them all over a 5 hour period. To his left is his father who is also that good. I never hunted their birds to say the level of difficulty.
I am sure he is a good hunter and a good caller...  But, I would hazard, that anyone that could rub a box call together and hold still, probably would have killed birds, under the conditions those birds were killed (i.e. lots of willing birds, with little hunter competition).

I always enjoy a photo that captures the character of the hunt...  For me...  That photo lacks the character I enjoy seeing.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Yoder409

Quote from: Marc on April 25, 2022, 11:42:11 PM
Quote from: ferocious calls on April 25, 2022, 09:08:34 PM
I am sure he is a good hunter and a good caller...  But, I would hazard, that anyone that could rub a box call together and hold still, probably would have killed birds, under the conditions those birds were killed (i.e. lots of willing birds, with little hunter competition).

I always enjoy a photo that captures the character of the hunt...  For me...  That photo lacks the character I enjoy seeing.

I'm struggling with why folks are so quick to assume that 4 guys can only harvest 7 birds in one day if the birds are tame or have never seen a human before or whatever.

A few years back, I know two guys who killed 6 Merriam's in 2 1/2 days............2 on public and 4 unguided (and SUPER rugged) private land.    No pets.  No bait.  Birds that were between somewhat and very pressured.  Luckily, I guess, they didn't line the birds all up and post a pic on the internet.

I know NOTHING of the backstory behind the OP's pic.  But I do know that my first assumption was not that the hunt was in some way "canned".
PA elitist since 1979