turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Greg Gwaltney

Started by ChesterCopperpot, April 20, 2022, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Anyone who's ever asked me for advice on a first yelper has heard me recommend Greg Gwaltney. His craftsmanship is top notch, his calls are beautiful, they're fair priced (probably the best deal in that grade of call in the business), they play easily, and above all else they're full of turkey. I've posted a similar photo before of the snakewood and ringed gidgee calls I have from Greg. Proud to add this latest one to the line up. That snakewood was the very first call Greg ever put a copper ferrule on. This delrin is the very first call he's ever made from that material. I'm glad he indulges me.

Anyhow, my favorite trumpet material has long been delrin. That's a habit I have from my early love for Ralph Permar's classic and hunter grade .45. I just flat love that material. Lots of benefits: weatherproof, all but indestructible. Those are benefits for sure but those are also not things that keep me from hunting super expensive calls with super nice wood. I hunt everything I own. So more than anything to me the real advantage of delrin is the quickness and sharpness of the sound. They just flat pop! So when I fell in love with the tone of Greg's calls I started hounding him for a delrin call and he hesitated for about a year but eventually succumbed

Well, it came in the mail today and I know why he's saying he needs to make one for himself. It's everything I imagined it would be. Carries Greg's signature tone and ease of play but has that extra pop I love in a call. Think he's going to make some available (better jump on that before he reneges). He'll have to charge a fuzz more for the trouble of the material from what he's said, but trust me when I tell you it's worth every penny. It's just a different sound. All that to say, thanks a million, Greg! I love it, my friend! There's a reason you continue to place where you do year after year at Grand Nationals and it's just a matter of time before you slip the last couple spots up that list. You're quite simply making as fine a yelper as anyone there is and I think I speak for all of us on OG who've gotten calls from you when I say we sure do appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatpaddle

That's a fine looking trio of calls...
Congratulations ....

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

superx2

I'm loving the lignum vitae call I picked up from greg.
That trio you have there looks great. 
you made it hard for me to decide
which one to get next.

Will

Very well said and Greg is really turning out some nice trumpets. The Olivewood model I just received is getting a work out. I'm ordering my Delrin tonight!

turkey stew

Congrats on that fine delrin horn from Greg! He turns some mighty fine trumpets!

Boykin Hollow

I really like my new snakewood trumpet that I got from him the first of April !!!  It is full of turkey

sbbow

Congrats on a nice horn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris O

Good looking set of calls

gergg

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 20, 2022, 04:47:19 PM
Anyone who's ever asked me for advice on a first yelper has heard me recommend Greg Gwaltney. His craftsmanship is top notch, his calls are beautiful, they're fair priced (probably the best deal in that grade of call in the business), they play easily, and above all else they're full of turkey. I've posted a similar photo before of the snakewood and ringed gidgee calls I have from Greg. Proud to add this latest one to the line up. That snakewood was the very first call Greg ever put a copper ferrule on. This delrin is the very first call he's ever made from that material. I'm glad he indulges me.

Anyhow, my favorite trumpet material has long been delrin. That's a habit I have from my early love for Ralph Permar's classic and hunter grade .45. I just flat love that material. Lots of benefits: weatherproof, all but indestructible. Those are benefits for sure but those are also not things that keep me from hunting super expensive calls with super nice wood. I hunt everything I own. So more than anything to me the real advantage of delrin is the quickness and sharpness of the sound. They just flat pop! So when I fell in love with the tone of Greg's calls I started hounding him for a delrin call and he hesitated for about a year but eventually succumbed

Well, it came in the mail today and I know why he's saying he needs to make one for himself. It's everything I imagined it would be. Carries Greg's signature tone and ease of play but has that extra pop I love in a call. Think he's going to make some available (better jump on that before he reneges). He'll have to charge a fuzz more for the trouble of the material from what he's said, but trust me when I tell you it's worth every penny. It's just a different sound. All that to say, thanks a million, Greg! I love it, my friend! There's a reason you continue to place where you do year after year at Grand Nationals and it's just a matter of time before you slip the last couple spots up that list. You're quite simply making as fine a yelper as anyone there is and I think I speak for all of us on OG who've gotten calls from you when I say we sure do appreciate it.

Very kind of you David, I really appreciate your thoughts. It did take me a while to get on board with Delrin as I am such a wood purist. I will say that the Delrin surprised me, it not only has great pop, but carries with it really good tone too. Glad you asked for one, otherwise I may have never messed with it. Waterproof, great tone & playability.....yes, I am going to make myself one too.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

JeffC

Congrats to Chester for getting another fine turkey calling weapon from a outstanding man, Congrats to Gregg for taking on something new and killing it!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

Wow Dave, those are beautiful. X10 on Greg, and his trumpets. Here's his best endorsement: If I can make his flutes sound good, they must be easy to play! And they are made with extreme quality and Craftsmanship. Congrats Dave on another Gobbler getter for sure......
"Solo hunter"

Sixes

He definitely makes a great trumpet.  I own several of his but I haven't bought one in a while,  mainly because I have a daughter in college and I'm footing the bill to avoid her having student loans. Fairly pricey.

But, you have me thinking of a delrin

Sir-diealot

Great guy to deal with for sure. I have two from him and enjoy them both. I am not sure I do them justice but when I get it right you can sure tell there are birds in there. I have enjoyed seeing him tune in to different styles here on the forum as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

EZ

Beautiful calls and craftmanship!!!

Kygobblergetter

Yeah I'm gonna have to get one of those at some point. Couldn't agree more about Greg's calls! I absolutely love mine from him