OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Grizzly stalking

Started by High plains drifter, April 18, 2022, 05:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

I know there is a big gobbler on that crick, but that grizz may have killed him. He killed an elk 2 days ago. I think I'll hunt down lower.

Strutr

Doubtful that gobbler is in much danger from that grizzly, but you, on the other hand can't fly or run nearly as fast.....

High plains drifter

Quote from: joey46 on April 18, 2022, 04:36:43 PM
As fun as this is when was the last documented case of a turkey hunter being attacked by a bear?  Betting we're in winning the lottery odds of this being a problem.   :newmascot:
In Montana,  it can happen.

High plains drifter

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 18, 2022, 05:52:04 AM
Well...............  First thing I'd do is switch shells.  If I hunted in grizzly country I'd have three 000-buck or rifled slugs in my pocket.
Second thing I'd do would be unsnap the retention strap on the large bore handgun on my hip........which I would ALSO have if I hunted grizzly country.  Then I'd take the most direct path out of the area.

I don't live in grizzly country nor have I hunted turkeys in grizzly country, yet.  We do run across an aggressive blackie on occasion.  It's occurred to me at one time or another that..........if needed......if one turkey load to the advancing bear's face at 10 yards didn't discourage it....... the next two down its throat at point blank range probably would.
Thumbs down. I would never shoot a bear. I did see yhat bear yesterday when I was looking for mushrooms. I also saw that large gobbler.God he's huge!! 30 pounder, or close. I don't care if that bear kills me, I have to try for that bird.

Old Timer

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 28, 2022, 10:48:24 AM
Well...............  First thing I'd do is switch shells.  If I hunted in grizzly country I'd have three 000-buck or rifled slugs in my pocket.
Second thing I'd do would be unsnap the retention strap on the large bore handgun on my hip........which I would ALSO have if I hunted grizzly country.  Then I'd take the most direct path out of the area.

I don't live in grizzly country nor have I hunted turkeys in grizzly country, yet.  We do run across an aggressive blackie on occasion.  It's occurred to me at one time or another that..........if needed......if one turkey load to the advancing bear's face at 10 yards didn't discourage it....... the next two down its throat at point blank range probably would.
Thumbs down. I would never shoot a bear. I did see yhat bear yesterday when I was looking for mushrooms. I also saw that large gobbler.God he's huge!! 30 pounder, or close. I don't care if that bear kills me, I have to try for that bird.
Well I suppose Timothy Treadwell didn`t care either. Look at his no pun intended grizzly ending. Your making no sense.

Hobbes

I can't bear :) to watch this any longer.  Anyone that knows anything about the Front knows the place is loaded with grizzly so the idea that it's a surprise after "30 years" is hard for me to believe.  In addition, the Front has no turkey population that I'm aware of (no I'm not asking where) and none that FWP indicates unless you're reference to the Front is a whole lot different than anyone that I know.  If it does have a mysterious undocumented population of turkeys, that's fantastic, but the simple fact of claiming a 30 lb bird on the Front leads me to believe there is more fairy tales here than I can stomach.  If he's 30 lbs in that region, he's got his head in a bucket of corn.

The "I'd never shoot a bear" comment indicates one of two things, one is you really have no concept of what they are capable of or two..... they hold a spiritual/cultural meaning. 

If it's the second, your comments make a little more sense, and maybe there is a small number of birds there.

Go ahead, give me a thumbs down, but your posts aren't adding up and the majority of folks here aren't familiar enough with the region to recognize it.

Jimspur

Thumbs down to the OP and this moronic thread.

crow

I was a horseshoer for close to 40 years and I can smell horse patooty without stepping in it,

I'm with Old Timer Hobbes and Jimspur

Yoder409

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 28, 2022, 10:48:24 AM

WOW !!!!   I think I may be an OG record holder !!!!   I got TWO "thumbs downs" for the same post !!!    :z-winnersmiley:

Now........... I've never run across anyone who likes to shoot a turkey any more than me.  Until now.   
I'm pretty sure if came down to two choices...........me not shooting a turkey or me getting et up buy a grizz trying..........umma probably not gonna shoot a turkey.

P.S.   No turkeys were harmed in the shooting of this bear.    :TooFunny:

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

High plains drifter

There are turkeys in the foot hills of the rocky mountain front.Not a lot, but there are some.

Zobo

Quote from: Hobbes
Go ahead, give me a thumbs down, but your posts aren't adding up and the majority of folks here aren't familiar enough with the region to recognize it.
/quote]

I'm not familiar with the area but things started adding up  for me when he mentioned wild mu-shroom hunting, if you know what I mean.  :z-dizzy:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

joey46

This topic was so much fun let's do one on being attacked by wolves.  It might discourage some cyber hunters from heading west if they think they will be no more than bear and wolf feed.

Coincidentally there is an excellent article in this months American Hunter (NRA) magazine written by a guy that took a griz with a .50 caliber percussion muzzleloader.  I thought his grizzly load was a little light but it did the job.   

High plains drifter

Quote from: joey46 on April 29, 2022, 02:48:49 AM
This topic was so much fun let's do one on being attacked by wolves.  It might discourage some cyber hunters from heading west if they think they will be no more than bear and wolf feed.

Coincidentally there is an excellent article in this months American Hunter (NRA) magazine written by a guy that took a griz with a .50 caliber percussion muuzzleloader.  I thought his grizzly load was a little light but it did the job.
In my opinion,  big game hunters are limp noodles. Bird hunters are superior in every way.And to all the people who think this post is bs, go on up there, you may not come back.

Zobo

Quote from: Jimspur on April 28, 2022, 11:47:13 AM
Thumbs down to the OP and this moronic thread.

Agreed, but it's actually kind of funny. This guy's ethical viewpoint is what's bothering people, he's like a PETA/Greenpeace nut when it comes to bears and big game, but turkeys he happily and willfully shoots in the head. It's an unusual delineation. I'd have him know btw that in my state turkeys are classified as big game.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

crow

.And to all the people who think this post is bs, go on up there, you may not come back.
[/quote]

This would apply to using the interstate highway to get to your hunting grounds in pretty much any Eastern state.

also running into meth labs on state forest lands, skinny dipping in any blackwater bayou, bumping into  active still sites in Tn., the Amish mafia anywhere in Pa. and pretty much any holler in Ky. that is full of Haints.

just ask Amos Moses, he came back with just one arm after a hunting trip