OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Grizzly stalking

Started by High plains drifter, April 18, 2022, 05:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 19, 2022, 07:35:21 PM

Quote from: crow on April 19, 2022, 07:16:16 PM
I hope your better looking in person than whats depicted on your avatar.

You're not a very good comedian. Don't quit your day job!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

:happy0167:,   :TooFunny:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 19, 2022, 06:25:18 PM
So before I comment on this post, I have question. A few of you have mentioned carrying 00 Buck or slugs to put in your scattergun if being stalked.
Assuming you had enough time to do so, how does 00 Buck or a slug do when passing through today's tight constriction turkey chokes? Would they blow up the choke and/or barrel? Would they shoot fine? Have any of you guys tried shooting them through a tight turkey choke? I haven't, that's why I'm asking.

Anyone care to answer?

Yoder409

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 19, 2022, 11:17:05 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 19, 2022, 06:25:18 PM
So before I comment on this post, I have question. A few of you have mentioned carrying 00 Buck or slugs to put in your scattergun if being stalked.
Assuming you had enough time to do so, how does 00 Buck or a slug do when passing through today's tight constriction turkey chokes? Would they blow up the choke and/or barrel? Would they shoot fine? Have any of you guys tried shooting them through a tight turkey choke? I haven't, that's why I'm asking.

Anyone care to answer?

I have not tried it.  But, I'd not hesitate for an instant if it was a matter of shooting a slug through a turkey choke or get my butt mauled.

Most manufacturers of turkey tubes STRONGLY advise against it and some state that the warranty will be voided if you do.  I can't see how the tube would NOT be damaged if a person made a habit of shooting slugs.  But, I don't think one is going to outright destroy anything.   Lead IS soft and WILL swage down.  I'd be FAR more hesitant to shoot steel shot through a turkey tube than a slug.  Buckshot probably wouldn't pattern for crap..........but I don't think it'd be problematic for the choke tube at all.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 20, 2022, 07:10:49 AM
I have not tried it.  But, I'd not hesitate for an instant if it was a matter of shooting a slug through a turkey choke or get my butt mauled.

Most manufacturers of turkey tubes STRONGLY advise against it and some state that the warranty will be voided if you do.  I can't see how the tube would NOT be damaged if a person made a habit of shooting slugs.  But, I don't think one is going to outright destroy anything.   Lead IS soft and WILL swage down.  I'd be FAR more hesitant to shoot steel shot through a turkey tube than a slug.  Buckshot probably wouldn't pattern for crap..........but I don't think it'd be problematic for the choke tube at all.

Agreed!!

joey46

If you don't mind wasting a shell disassemble a factory slug load and see if the lead drops through a full turkey choke.  I really don't recall if most Foster style slugs have a plastic wad.  If the choice was ruining a choke or getting roughed up by a bear I would go for the ruined choke. 
I have a box of American Tactical .410 1/4oz 2 1/2" slugs I used with an Improved Cyl choke to sight in a red dot.  It has a clear shell casing.  The lead obviously does not appear to have a wad.   If my 301 goes to WY I'll carry a couple just in case.  The shell's manufacturer gives warnings about damascus barrels but I find nothing on the box regarding choke size. 
Yes - I know a bear would probably laugh at a 410 slug.  When Florida turkey season ends on the 24th we'll probably run some cameras and I may get to try a test slug on a hog.  We'll see.

TrackeySauresRex

I treed two small cubs a while back on a turkey hunt. It was quiet concerning. No less the 40 yards Mama stood up to grab a whiff of me. I think I was lucky the wind was right. I slowly back peddled out of there. You talk about the pucker factor!
I'll have a side arm and I'm leaving to 20 home. I'll bring the Ol' 835 withe the 3-1/2" mags w/#4's  second rounds, if lucky enough to get off will be the 00.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

budtripp

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 19, 2022, 06:30:45 PM
I'm going to hunt SD and Wyoming in a few weeks. I've always been concerned about hunting in grizzly country. I think I'll be toting my .44 mag just in case. If I'm being attacked, I'm shooting. I don't care what anyone says, if I go down, I'm going down fighting!!! I'm much too handsome to be mauled by a grizzle bear!!

No where in South Dakota has grizzlies, Northeast Wyoming (I'm assuming Black Hills) is likewise not grizzly country. I've been alot further west in Wyoming that was also not grizzly country. Grizzlies live closer to Yellowstone.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: budtripp on April 21, 2022, 12:19:20 AM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 19, 2022, 06:30:45 PM
I'm going to hunt SD and Wyoming in a few weeks. I've always been concerned about hunting in grizzly country. I think I'll be toting my .44 mag just in case. If I'm being attacked, I'm shooting. I don't care what anyone says, if I go down, I'm going down fighting!!! I'm much too handsome to be mauled by a grizzle bear!!

No where in South Dakota has grizzlies, Northeast Wyoming (I'm assuming Black Hills) is likewise not grizzly country. I've been alot further west in Wyoming that was also not grizzly country. Grizzlies live closer to Yellowstone.
That's good to hear!!

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dtrkyman

TSS T shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 21, 2022, 06:58:42 PM
TSS T shot!

OUCH !!!!!

Wanna even try to imagine 60 or so 20 caliber tungsten balls hitting something ???      :z-dizzy:
PA elitist since 1979

Paulmyr

Used to bow hunt elk in SW colorado.one mourning sitting on the edge of a small opening I hear something rustling in the tall grass coming my way. As the sound got closer I could see nothing. Finally a cub steps out at about 20 yds and let's out a bawl. I finally looked back at around 100 yds as I was flying down hill. I say flying because I swear my feet weren't touching the ground. Luckily no momma bears were in chase.

Elk hunting the same area had a big Black traversing the ridge below me when he turned to come up the trail I was standing on. At about seventy yards I stepped out from behind a tree to let him know I was there. What happened next was way different than what I expected. Instead of running away the bear looked at me, turned his head to look behind himself and looked back at me and stepped forward. I said hey bear. He stopped and looked behind himself again and than back at me. At this point I unsheathed my knife, dropped my bow, and was standing there arrow in one hand, knife in the other saying c'mon bear in a firm voice as I started to back up. Probably some vulgarity thrown in there for good measure. He got to about 50yds before finally stopping looking behind himself again and finally turning down hill and sauntering away!

I guess I was between him and some where he really wanted to be. I'm glad I could convince him otherwise. Not sure it would have been much of a fight but I was going to do my darndest to draw some blood if he wanted to rumble!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Yoder409

Blackies are no joke.

The old adage of "They're more afraid of you than you are of them" does NOT always hold true.

I've been in a position twice where a black bear was NOT about to give any ground.  Once cubs were involved.  The other time, not.
PA elitist since 1979

Paulmyr

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 22, 2022, 03:22:03 PM
Blackies are no joke.

The old adage of "They're more afraid of you than you are of them" does NOT always hold true.

I've been in a position twice where a black bear was NOT about to give any ground.  Once cubs were involved.  The other time, not.

We got one that visits the cabin my dad lives in to raid his bird feeders. Remnants of the feeders are usually what's left after pops forgets to bring them in.
Only seen once by my cousin over 4th of july weekend. She got him on phone vid leaving the yard at 5am. She was coming into the cabin to take a leak and spotted him. He's a biggun! We were up past midnight sitting around the campfire. He had no problems sneaking in after everything quieted down. Raided the feeder only 15 yds from a tent camper with a family of 5 sleeping inside.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

GobbleNut

When it all comes down to it, we all seem to fear the things we are not personally familiar with.  Being familiar with the inhabitants of the country I live in, which has lions and bears and other assorted lesser predators and potential threats like poisonous reptiles, I never carry a firearm when doing anything other than actively hunting.  I have had enough run-ins with all of them to come to realize they are all more afraid of me than I am of them.  The best defense initially when dealing with any of them is to do whatever it takes to make them realize that they are dealing with a human being.  Once they realize that, they are much more likely to run the other way than they are to do anything else. 

On the other hand, I am not familiar with hunting country that has alligators, pythons, cottonmouths, copperheads, and such.  My romanticized vision of hunting those areas is that I am risking death with every step I take at the "hands" of a hungry gator or twenty-foot python, or a poisonous reptile bent on chasing me down. 

Again, we fear what we do not know.  I know my chances of being attacked by a lion or bear around here (although we do not have grizzlies here) is akin to being struck by lightning on a cloudless day.  Then again, I hope I do not live to regret that attitude!   :angel9: ;D