turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Grizzly stalking

Started by High plains drifter, April 18, 2022, 05:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwhana

This is why I believe in the 10mm for this situation.  https://youtu.be/Ng_n6Tr-1vg

Also, this thread strikes a deep nerve with me, as my dad, brother, and I were charged, but not attacked, in Yellowstone when I was a kid and I can still remember every single detail (sights, feelings, smells, and sounds) as if it was 5 seconds ago.  If I had the magic genie 3 wishes, #1 would be for me to be able to shoot the very last griz and make them go extinct.  Just my thing and no need for anyone to argue why that is wrong to you - you automatically lose unless you have been there yourself, and those that have will at least understand, even if they feel differently.

High plains drifter

I was turkey hunting on the rocky mountain front. I was calling in a bird, when I noticed a grizzly about 500 years away, walking slowly towards me. Luckily my bronco was very close by. I hightailed it to the rig.I thought he may be coming hard, but he disappeared in the buck brush. He was coming to that call I think.

Old Timer

Probably a smart move on your part.

High plains drifter

I've hunted up there for 30 years, and never saw a grizzly. I saw an elk carcass that was recently killed, but I thought it was a cat kill. I saw some blue grouse flush, and then I saw him. Big impressive bear. He must have just come out of hibernation.

NCL

I have also hunted in grizzly bear country and they are no joke. There was a steel trash barrel in camp that had three slash cuts near the bottom of the barrel. I though someone had used an axe to make the cuts so water would drain, on closer inspection it was a bear claw mark. I have read that some of the grizzly bear guides carry a shotgun as backup in case of a charging bear. There is no doubt in my mind if i had time I would shoot a charging bear.

Hobbes

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 19, 2022, 11:17:39 AM
I've hunted up there for 30 years, and never saw a grizzly. I saw an elk carcass that was recently killed, but I thought it was a cat kill. I saw some blue grouse flush, and then I saw him. Big impressive bear. He must have just come out of hibernation.

You've hunted the Front for 30 years and never seen a grizzly?   You're from Montana and would never shoot a bear?  I wonder if the shed hunter killed last month would have preferred the option to kill a bear?

I'm not familiar with where turkeys are located on the Rocky Mountain Front.

High plains drifter

I can't tell people where this is, but it is a wild place, and there is danger.My wife wanted to drive her Bronco up there but I told her no.She had a fit. She does not know the danger.He's probably still in the area, because  those elk are hanging around.

RutnNStrutn

So before I comment on this post, I have question. A few of you have mentioned carrying 00 Buck or slugs to put in your scattergun if being stalked.
Assuming you had enough time to do so, how does 00 Buck or a slug do when passing through today's tight constriction turkey chokes? Would they blow up the choke and/or barrel? Would they shoot fine? Have any of you guys tried shooting them through a tight turkey choke? I haven't, that's why I'm asking.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

I'm going to hunt SD and Wyoming in a few weeks. I've always been concerned about hunting in grizzly country. I think I'll be toting my .44 mag just in case. If I'm being attacked, I'm shooting. I don't care what anyone says, if I go down, I'm going down fighting!!! I'm much too handsome to be mauled by a grizzle bear!!

joey46

If one gets ya will do a Revenant Part II thread on this forum.  It will be classic.  Maybe add a thumbs up/thumbs down poll. :anim_25:

mcw3734

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 18, 2022, 05:13:13 AM
What should you do if a grizz is stalking you when turkey hunting?

Instances of being 'stalked' by a grizz are rare. Being attacked because of an unexpected encounter by both parties, much more the norm. In these instances, the best defense is bear spray by somebody familiar with how to use it. I know that gets some people's eyes rolling, but it's the truth.

You are much more likely to be purposefully stalked by mountain lions. And as a matter of fact... I had 2 mountain lions 20 yards away from me yesterday morning when I was turkey hunting. I hadn't seen them come in, but now we were staring at each other. When one crouched down and started slow crawling to me I popped up, stood to the side of the tree to show what I was (while bringing the gun to shoulder), and it took them about 1 second to process the situation before they bolted out of there.

I know it's probably more than what you wanted to know, but there is a good book on the subject:  Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance by Stephen Herroro.  My old Forest Service supervisor was Fish & Wildlife Service in Alaska for years and trained workers on bear defense. Again, a firearm has it's place in certain situations, but bear spay is the best to safely repel a surprise encounter.

Almost anytime I'm in the field here in Idaho, I carry bear spray first. And in many other times when I'm hiking/scouting/whatever and I have the room, I pack bear spray AND a large caliber revolver.

It doesn't matter if you're from out East, or a lifelong resident in ID/MT/WY, but some folks hold back on enjoying all this area has to offer because of the fear of large predators. And I'm not saying there isn't reason to be concerned. But if you're reading this and fear of bears/cats/wolves are holding you back from a trip out here; do some research (and I don't mean just 10mm vs .44RM) and hopefully it will put your mind a little more at ease.

Oh, and by the way... I shot a nice tom from that very spot about 1 hour after the run-in with the mountain lions.

crow

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 19, 2022, 06:30:45 PM
I'm going to hunt SD and Wyoming in a few weeks. I've always been concerned about hunting in grizzly country. I think I'll be toting my .44 mag just in case. If I'm being attacked, I'm shooting. I don't care what anyone says, if I go down, I'm going down fighting!!! I'm much too handsome to be mauled by a grizzle bear!!

If thats what your counting on I hope your better looking in person than whats depicted on your avatar.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: crow on April 19, 2022, 07:16:16 PM
I hope your better looking in person than whats depicted on your avatar.

You're not a very good comedian. Don't quit your day job!!

Greg Massey

I think we need some OLD GOBBLER Grizzly Bear repellent ... :TooFunny:

bear hunter