OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Grizzly stalking

Started by High plains drifter, April 18, 2022, 05:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Quote from: joey46 on April 18, 2022, 04:36:43 PM
As fun as this is when was the last documented case of a turkey hunter being attacked by a bear?  Betting we're in winning the lottery odds of this being a problem.   :newmascot:

You're probably right.    :icon_thumright:

However........... My wife's uncle.......an extremely skilled outdoorsman........was seconds away from enacting my plan of "one to the face and two down the throat" on a black bear sow that had him VERY aggressively backed into a greenbrier thicket.

My Mrs and I had a sow and 4 cubs from the previous year (125-ish pounders) at under 50 yards and coming right at us another time.  They were not aggressive, thank goodness !!

If you hunt where there's bears of ANY color............or lions.........you really oughta have a contingency plan. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

crow

Really, you give a thumbs down to 2 people that give you suggestions on defending yourself from a grizzly charge,
what snowflake truck did you fall off of.

I give you 2 thumbs down, 3  :z-dizzy: :z-dizzy: :z-dizzy:'s and a  :anim_25:  if you ever meet up with a  :character0029:

Tom007

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 18, 2022, 05:13:13 AM
What should you do if a grizz is stalking you when turkey hunting?

Make sure that your a much faster runner than your hunting buddy..... :turkey2:
"Solo hunter"

Cowboy

I'm not sure why anyone would get thumbs down for warding off an attack?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bwhana

This is the first real discussion on this site on why you should use TSS instead of lead and other substitutes!  I'm only half way joking, but I would much rather hit a charging griz in the face at 5 yds with a TSS load than any other turkey load, period!  Also it's a given that I would never hunt griz country without a Glock G20 10mm filled with 16 rounds of Buffalo Bore bullets and the shotgun would be dropped for it in a split second if needed, and the shotgun load would never matter.

762hunter

Reminds me of the scene with John Candy in the Great Outdoors...
Big Bear
Big Bear Chase
Big Bear Chase me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: bwhana on April 18, 2022, 07:24:02 PM
This is the first real discussion on this site on why you should use TSS instead of lead and other substitutes!  I'm only half way joking, but I would much rather hit a charging griz in the face at 5 yds with a TSS load than any other turkey load, period!  Also it's a given that I would never hunt griz country without a Glock G20 10mm filled with 16 rounds of Buffalo Bore bullets and the shotgun would be dropped for it in a split second if needed, and the shotgun load would never matter.

LOL !!!   I'm kinda a slacker.  Mine's a G29.    ;D

But, the thought HAS crossed my mind.  A tungsten turkey load would have to suck to get hit with, no matter what you are.  Coarse tungsten shot would have to be BRUTAL.  I'd think BB or #2 tungsten would EASILY penetrate a bear skull at close range and/or drive into the chest cavity vitals.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Gooserbat

If I know I'm being stalked I'm climbing a tree and the first chance I get from 15 ft up to shoot it in the top of the head I'm letting loose. At that range it should be nasty.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Zobo

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 18, 2022, 01:05:46 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on April 18, 2022, 05:52:04 AM
Well...............  First thing I'd do is switch shells.  If I hunted in grizzly country I'd have three 000-buck or rifled slugs in my pocket.
Second thing I'd do would be unsnap the retention strap on the large bore handgun on my hip........which I would ALSO have if I hunted grizzly country.  Then I'd take the most direct path out of the area.

I don't live in grizzly country nor have I hunted turkeys in grizzly country, yet.  We do run across an aggressive blackie on occasion.  It's occurred to me at one time or another that..........if needed......if one turkey load to the advancing bear's face at 10 yards didn't discourage it....... the next two down its throat at point blank range probably would.
that is a crude, redneck comment.I would never shoot a bear.Thumbs down.

So, let me follow the logic here. You shoot and hang stuffed turkeys on your wall for fun, but you would not shoot a bear to save your life and limb. Ok, got it.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Old Timer

Haven't hunted grizzly country. But after the last 2 encounters with blacks the 45lc is on my chest.

WV Flopper

This is a funny read!

I watched a you tube "Oh God" of a guy discussing the attacked he survived. He had a sidearm and near spray. He did not have time to fire/deploy either!

In this situation I believe the shotgun is your best defense, how many commenting have actually shot a bear at feet with a sidearm? Inches? I think most would be better served with the shotgun.

And a thumbs down to me, I don't plan on being a bear turd! I will pull the trigger.

Marc

Bear would slip and fall before it gets to me....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Old Timer

Quote from: Old Timer on April 18, 2022, 09:53:42 PMVery educational video
Haven't hunted grizzly country. But after the last 2 encounters with blacks the 45lc is on my chest.

WV Flopper

You tube: Todd Orr story by Jason Matzinger, I think...

Watch it, this ain't some guy from the East running off at the mouth, this a woodsmen in Montana.

Yoder409

Quote from: Marc on April 18, 2022, 10:05:03 PM
Bear would slip and fall before it gets to me....

Slip on WHAT, pray tell ???

:TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979