OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Grizzly stalking

Started by High plains drifter, April 18, 2022, 05:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

Quote from: High plains drifter on May 04, 2022, 11:50:22 AM
Lol. The elk have moved on.That wolverine may have killed that big gobbler. I'm going up the crick in a few days on my horse, to have a look see.I hope that grizzly is gone. I think a pack of jakes has moved in.

Now that you're sensing jakes in the area I can assure you the grizzly is gone. Nobody and nothing messes with a pack of jakes.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on May 05, 2022, 01:59:29 PM
Quote from: High plains drifter on May 04, 2022, 11:50:22 AM
Lol. The elk have moved on.That wolverine may have killed that big gobbler. I'm going up the crick in a few days on my horse, to have a look see.I hope that grizzly is gone. I think a pack of jakes has moved in.

Now that you're sensing jakes in the area I can assure you the grizzly is gone. Nobody and nothing messes with a pack of jakes.

The jakes may have killed all the elk off, too...........    :begging:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

joey46

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 04, 2022, 01:38:55 PM
Is this thread still going?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Amazing.  Been without internet for a few days.  Having breakfast tomorrow with a 4th generation Montanan now living in Wyoming.  I'll ask his opinion on bear concerns while turkey hunting.   No griz in this area but occasional blacks.

Yoder409

Quote from: joey46 on May 06, 2022, 01:41:09 AM

Amazing.  Been without internet for a few days.  Having breakfast tomorrow with a 4th generation Montanan now living in Wyoming.  I'll ask his opinion on bear concerns while turkey hunting.   No griz in this area but occasional blacks.

What about wolverines and jake flocks ???     :help:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 06, 2022, 06:46:00 AM
Quote from: joey46 on May 06, 2022, 01:41:09 AM

What about wolverines and jake flocks ???     :help:

AND, let's us not forget about the those two hens and the implications of what THEY'RE capable of. I don't believe their role in this can be overstated. Together, we can and will get to the bottom of this.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

GobbleNut

After all of the points of discussion made here, I have come up with the perfect strategy for turkey hunting in grizz territory.  What you should do is just sit and watch the grizz until he catches a gobbler, then just move in and take it away from him!  Simple solution!  (Sometimes I just amaze myself with the clarity I have in these complex discussions!)   ;D :angel9:

Yoder409

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 06, 2022, 08:09:30 AM
After all of the points of discussion made here, I have come up with the perfect strategy for turkey hunting in grizz territory.  What you should do is just sit and watch the grizz until he catches a gobbler, then just move in and take it away from him!  Simple solution!  (Sometimes I just amaze myself with the clarity I have in these complex discussions!)   ;D :angel9:

YOUR mom raised SMART kids instead of good lookin' ones !!!    :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

That's the best idea I've heard since............ 9:00

:TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

Old Timer

Once you snatch that gobbler from the mouth of that grizz you gotta get back to that truck quick! :TooFunny:

Yoder409

Quote from: Old Timer on May 06, 2022, 09:37:08 PM
Once you snatch that gobbler from the mouth of that grizz you gotta get back to that truck quick! :TooFunny:

Here's a diagram from the Montana Turkey Hunting Guide on how the truck dash should look:

PA elitist since 1979

joey46

Just left WY and didn't run into this guy.  Be surprised if many could shuck their turkey load, remember which pocket held the slug, and then roll him into a heap. 
Picture actually of the full mount in the Bass Pro in Denver.  These are one big animal.
Picture two is me with my first Merriam.  Fun week.

Yoder409

Well, OBVIOUSLY..............the Wyoming grizz was either off somewhere killing the last of the elk before moving higher, ORRRRRR....................he had been already run out by the jake flock, nasty old hens and the wolverine.  They'll gang up, ya know ??
PA elitist since 1979

joey46

Saw a short news blip yesterday about a US Army soldier on a training mission in Alaska being killed by a bear two days ago.  Few details.  May he RIP.  I'm still putting this in my "don't worry about it" file when turkey hunting.  In south Florida we do have our share of black bears and cougars.  I think the 2022 turkey season ended with no causilties.

Old Timer

Cobgrat`s Joey nice pic. must of been a fun hunt. You look like you enjoyed it!

joey46

Thanks - it was on the bucket list. 

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 04, 2022, 01:52:26 PM

:TooFunny: Now that wolverines have been introduced into the picture, I suspect we will go on for a few more pages....  :D
Hmmm,...do wolverines get a thumbs up or a thumbs down?...  ;D