turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Grizzly stalking

Started by High plains drifter, April 18, 2022, 05:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

What should you do if a grizz is stalking you when turkey hunting?

Cowboy

Hunt somewhere else. No way I'd be there lol :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Well...............  First thing I'd do is switch shells.  If I hunted in grizzly country I'd have three 000-buck or rifled slugs in my pocket.
Second thing I'd do would be unsnap the retention strap on the large bore handgun on my hip........which I would ALSO have if I hunted grizzly country.  Then I'd take the most direct path out of the area.

I don't live in grizzly country nor have I hunted turkeys in grizzly country, yet.  We do run across an aggressive blackie on occasion.  It's occurred to me at one time or another that..........if needed......if one turkey load to the advancing bear's face at 10 yards didn't discourage it....... the next two down its throat at point blank range probably would.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 18, 2022, 05:52:04 AM
It's occurred to me at one time or another that..........if needed......if one turkey load to the advancing bear's face at 10 yards didn't discourage it....... the next two down its throat at point blank range probably would.

If we are talking about an actual attack, then this would be the action I would also take,...assuming I had time to react to the charge.  I would wait until the bear was close enough that a shot would blind it.  Further action taken would be based on what the bear's response was to that,...and if I hadn't had a heart attack and passed out by then. 

sswv

I'm pretty sure I'll never encounter a grizzly here and I don't actually have a fear for any of the animals here in southern WV but I do have a great respect for them. I do carry a handgun with me EVERYTIME I'm out. You never know when a meth head will get stupid and need put in their place.  I actually have a greater concern for the rouges more so than the critters.

idgobble

It's getting to be a problem in MT, ID and WY.

Yoder409

I guess I took the OP's question to infer that you were AWARE you were being stalked.  So, the first shot, anyways, would be pretty much a given.  #2 and #3 would, of course, be dependent on different factors.  But it did just occur to me that I hunt with a single shot..............     :help:

If I ever DO venture into grizzly country to hunt turkeys (a friend of mine DOES live and hunt in grizzly country), I'd take one of my other turkey guns.

All that being said.........  In my 40-some years of hunting turkeys......the only two critters that I have found give me the craps are big cats and Homo sapiens in certain settings of illegal activity.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

High plains drifter

Well...............  First thing I'd do is switch shells.  If I hunted in grizzly country I'd have three 000-buck or rifled slugs in my pocket.
Second thing I'd do would be unsnap the retention strap on the large bore handgun on my hip........which I would ALSO have if I hunted grizzly country.  Then I'd take the most direct path out of the area.

I don't live in grizzly country nor have I hunted turkeys in grizzly country, yet.  We do run across an aggressive blackie on occasion.  It's occurred to me at one time or another that..........if needed......if one turkey load to the advancing bear's face at 10 yards didn't discourage it....... the next two down its throat at point blank range probably would.
that is a crude, redneck comment.I would never shoot a bear.Thumbs down.

High plains drifter

Quote from: sswv on April 18, 2022, 09:45:26 AM
I'm pretty sure I'll never encounter a grizzly here and I don't actually have a fear for any of the animals here in southern WV but I do have a great respect for them. I do carry a handgun with me EVERYTIME I'm out. You never know when a meth head will get stupid and need put in their place.  I actually have a greater concern for the rouges more so than the critters.
Thumbs down.

Yoder409

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 18, 2022, 01:05:46 PM

that is a crude, redneck comment.I would never shoot a bear.Thumbs down.

Well, then you may want to prepare yourself, if you're actually being stalked.............    ::)

Maybe rub yourself down with Ranch or mayo........depending upon how the bear's condiment preference runs.
PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

Apparently, senses of self-preservation run deeper in some than others.   :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

sswv

so....Yoder409 and myself were awarded "thumbs down" for our replies.    REALLY???

did we win a new turkey gun each or a case of turkey loads to share?

Yoder409

Quote from: sswv on April 18, 2022, 01:42:16 PM
so....Yoder409 and myself were awarded "thumbs down" for our replies.    REALLY???

did we win a new turkey gun each or a case of turkey loads to share?

I'm pretty well fixed for turkey guns.  But, DANG, the case of loads to share sounds good !!!    :z-winnersmiley:

In the real world........ I think all we get is that you and I have just become "Brothers in the Bear".   :you_rock: :you_rock:
PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

Can ya skin grizz, pilgrim ???    :TooFunny:

PA elitist since 1979

joey46

As fun as this is when was the last documented case of a turkey hunter being attacked by a bear?  Betting we're in winning the lottery odds of this being a problem.   :newmascot: