turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Been Turkey Hunting Long Time / Weather

Started by Greg Massey, April 17, 2022, 10:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

AS long as i have chased these gobblers during spring seasons I've never seen weather this bad in our area. I've pretty much hunted so far this year in cold weather, sleet and snow and wind that's terrible. We have had some bad storms. So far in 17 days I've not had 2 days in a row with clear sky's nice warm temp and no wind. Tuff season so far.  Tenn weather if you don't like it today, it will change tomorrow... OMG... HOW"Has your weather been?

Wigsplitter

Arkansas opener starts tomorrow for me-weather has been tough here as well several days of rain/ storms and winds as well- hoping for a run of good weather this week!!

Cutt

Haven't started hunting yet, but seems like every day is very windy here, which I hope does not carry over to the Season.

But over the years we seem to get more windy days in the Season, then as compared to years ago when I first started? Just can't stand windy days for Turkey hunting, but over the years it has become the norm and seems to get worst each year?

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Not just this year but the last 3 years here have been cold during the season. Every time the weather is nice for 2 days and you start to hear gobbles the weather changes and shuts them up.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

btomlin

Weather has been cold and windy here in Iowa.  I was fortunate this morning so I'm done battling the weather (and others) until May.  It's been a deal....

Tom007

Been a bad spring here in NJ, our season opens 4-25-22. Hopefully it will warm and get better. Sorry that your weather has been bad Greg, I hope it turns for you. Best of luck....
"Solo hunter"

guesswho

Typical spring here.   Anywhere from the 30's to the 80's, rain and sunny, breezy and calm and anything in between.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

joey46

Florida, which opened 3/5 in the south, has been hot and dry.  In the north zone, opened 3/19,  has been mostly hot and dry in the "designated" Osceola range.  The panhandle has had some fires and storms.  Nothing much in the forecast for the remainder of the north zone season that ends 4/24.  Steady rain wouldn't hurt now.  They started breeding about Feb 1 from the looks at our cameras.  Got some like this from 2/4.

Wvdanimal

31 degrees, snow, sleet , rain and 24mph wind tomorrow for my opener so..... yeah

Hobbes

bushangler

Ours hasn't started yet but I love wind and rain for Turkey hunting and that's been our spring. I hope it holds on for another 2 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Was cool and clear the first two weekends.  Drove through a tornado warning on opening weekend to get to our camp, but we were just west of the weather.  After that we had gobbling and cooperative birds - roosted some several times.  fast forward two weeks and took a 6 day vacation from work to hunt and the forecast looked good, but by 9am the trees were shaking.  If we did not get right in ones pocket in the am, we could not find them later due to the high gusty winds.  Did a lot of sitting and slow moving through bottoms, but no joy. 

Have had several storms move through, but mostly been on days I was at work. I have just started really needing a Thermacell this past week here in North Florida.  Been pretty cool, but my season is about done - only 7 days left.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

tazmaniac

Tough juvie weekend in MS, 17 deg wind chill.  Still managed to get my 14yo a bird.

Great weather after that, killed another 2 birds myself and passed a 3rd to keep from tagging out before April 1st.

Moved to TN Apr 2nd, hunted there past 2.5 weeks.  Best weather we've had in a long time, killed 3, another 3 called in for friends and family.

But rain or cold doesn't bother me or the birds... lightening is the only thing keeping me in the house... and maybe just luck, but I haven't had lightening for more than a couple hours at a time the whole season thus far.

Just got back to MS... storming now tonight, but that's perfect in my book... ive always found birds to be more eager to play after a storm, and the weather should be gone by 0530 tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Old Timer

This windy rainy weather is putting a damper on my perch fishing here in upstate NY.  Snow Tuesday. Crazy