turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Banning rifles???

Started by barry, June 11, 2011, 02:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bird

I have seen what a rifle can do to a turkey a few years back while out in South Dakota and I will honestly say that rifles have no business being a firearm of choice for turkey hunting after what I have witnessed.  There was a group of hunters sharing the same lodging area where we were and they were using .222 and a .243.  These individuals weren't shooting them in the head as they were taking long range shots at these birds on the prairie and they were blowing huge holes in the birds.  Some barely had breast left on them and some were missing entire legs.  Do I believe that banning rifles will give the anti's a positive step toward arms control?  Not one bit at all.  Banning the use of rifles for turkey hunters is only outdoorsman policing their own for the betterment of the sport.  In fact I honestly believe that if we don't encourage the banning of rifles for turkey hunting that we are actually giving the anti's more ammunition to use against us in the long run.

bird

VAHUNTER

Quote from: bird on June 12, 2011, 09:01:48 AM
I have seen what a rifle can do to a turkey a few years back while out in South Dakota and I will honestly say that rifles have no business being a firearm of choice for turkey hunting after what I have witnessed.  There was a group of hunters sharing the same lodging area where we were and they were using .222 and a .243.  These individuals weren't shooting them in the head as they were taking long range shots at these birds on the prairie and they were blowing huge holes in the birds.  Some barely had breast left on them and some were missing entire legs.  Do I believe that banning rifles will give the anti's a positive step toward arms control?  Not one bit at all.  Banning the use of rifles for turkey hunters is only outdoorsman policing their own for the betterment of the sport.  In fact I honestly believe that if we don't encourage the banning of rifles for turkey hunting that we are actually giving the anti's more ammunition to use against us in the long run.

bird

true Al. and you have posted some very good points on this discussion. i understand completly what you are saying.and do agree that turkey hunting should be shotgun only during spring and fall season.
most would find that it would make them better turkey hunters instead of turkey shooters.
Good things come to those who wait

chatterbox

Quote from: VAHUNTER on June 12, 2011, 09:16:40 AM

bird

true Al. and you have posted some very good points on this discussion. i understand completly what you are saying.and do agree that turkey hunting should be shotgun only during spring and fall season. just to say you kill
most would find that it would make them better turkey hunters instead of turkey shooters.
I have to side with these two gentlemen on this. I firmly believe that rifles have no buisness in turkey hunting.
Say you see a turkey walking across a field close to a tree line roughly 100 yards out. You pull up your .223 and take a crack and miss. What if there was a hunter working that bird. You have now put that sportsman in harms way. There is no way a shooter across the field can detect a fully camoed hunter from that distance. Just too dangerous a game to play. Thankfully, NH doesn't allow the use of rifles for either the fall or spring seasons, so for me it's a moot point.
Al also brings up a valid point. Why blow a hole through a turkey with a varmit rifle? You kill them, and cannot use the meat. Why waste such a magnificent game animal just to say you killed something.

barry

Thanks to all for your comments and for NOT letting this get ugly.
Here are a couple points to ponder.
VA allows rifles in spring BUT you must use #2 or smaller shot in a shotgun???
The use of rifles in spring is not governed by the Game Department but by the State of VA.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

bird

:agreed:

i couldn't have summarized my own opinion on the matter any better than this.

gobbler74

Unethical hunters will also never change.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

outlaw

Im a good guy !!!

GOLD HUNTER

:begging:  unethical - not conforming to approved standards of social or professional behavior !!!  :smiley-char092:

RutnNStrutn

They made that change down here in Florida. Didn't create any stir with the anti's. You should support that change in your state too!

Shotgun

AS far as Im concerned it would be a good thing if rifles got banned during turkey season in all states. 

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Shotgun on June 12, 2011, 07:36:31 PM
AS far as Im concerned it would be a good thing if rifles got banned during turkey season in all states. 

I totally agree
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Borat

Quote from: surehuntsalot on June 13, 2011, 10:50:15 PM
Quote from: Shotgun on June 12, 2011, 07:36:31 PM

I totally agree

stinkpickle

I'm OK with banning them for safety reasons ONLY.  Otherwise, I wouldn't give two poops what anybody shot 'em with, how far, or how much meat they damage.  It's their tag.

gobbler74

Quote from: GOLD HUNTER on June 12, 2011, 04:18:25 PM
:begging:  unethical - not conforming to approved standards of social or professional behavior !!!  :smiley-char092:

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

GOLD HUNTER

barry

no i don't think it will.

Who made this dumb law for killing spring gobblers in Va. with a rifle and what year did it come into play !!!