turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Banning rifles???

Started by barry, June 11, 2011, 02:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

In VA it is legal to shoot turkeys with a rifle in the spring. My question is...
Would banning the use of rifles in the spring be a stepping stone for anti-hunting groups to open the door to ban other guns?

guesswho

Quote from: barry on June 11, 2011, 02:02:05 PM
In VA it is legal to shoot turkeys with a rifle in the spring. My question is...
Would banning the use of rifles in the spring be a stepping stone for anti-hunting groups to open the door to ban other guns?
I don't think so.  Making responsible decisions and common sense laws shouldn't work against us.  But I'm sure they would try.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

saint

i hope it  stays legal i hunt with a 700 rem 222 i shoot their  heads of at 20 yds or closer thats all i have  to hunt with and i live  in va

guesswho

Quote from: saint on February 23, 2011, 09:26:48 PM
I have a stevens single barrel 20 gauge
Why don't you hunt with your stevens single barrel 20 gauge?  It should kill them at 20 yards or closer just as good as your 222, plus it would be a lot safer for everyone else!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

saint

yes i do have one it don't  fire so next time you view my profile  do some more checking then you wont look stupid  when try to bust someone  out :you_rock:

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on June 11, 2011, 02:52:33 PM
Quote from: barry on June 11, 2011, 02:02:05 PM
I don't think so.  Making responsible decisions and common sense laws shouldn't work against us.  But I'm sure they would try.
I agree with Ronnie. I think that banning rifles would make us look more responsible as a group, not less.

guesswho

Quote from: saint on June 11, 2011, 05:02:58 PM
yes i do have one it don't  fire so next time you view my profile  do some more checking then you wont look stupid  when try to bust someone  out :you_rock:
And I'm the one that looks stupid?  Alrighty then :icon_thumright: 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

VAHUNTER

as long as it is a legal i guess to each there own. would i hunt with a rifle for turkey in the spring?? no. not for me
Good things come to those who wait

Old Gobbler

*** I am personally unbiased on what method hunters use for hunting , my only desire is that they be safe***

Barry ,we had the same dilemma here in Florida -after years of turkey hunters being shot by , slugs, buckshot, and rifle bullets - the end result was shotguns only with size #2 and smaller bird shot were allowed - some of the incidents were so horrific I will refrain from revealing the details  

You have to look at the situation in the big picture -Shooting incidents are very damaging for the image of hunting , there is a website that is devoted solely to that , and let me tell you there is way more shootings  than people know about - at the very top of the most dangerous hunting sports turkey hunting is there staring us in the face - we all know the drive to the turkey woods is statistically far more dangerous -

The fact remains ,Shooting incidents are being used by are anti hunting crowd to stop what they call "sport hunting"
here is proof.....

http://www.all-creatures.org/cash/accident-center.html

I'm not going to judge someone cause they like to use a 22 mag for turkey hunting , but as a group, the responsible thing is to self govern our selves before the anti's come in here and clean house on us - if there is no incidents in your state I dont see any merit in anyone changing things cause you have some safe fellas in your woods-

If some of you can remember when Pennsylvania had upwards of 40 shooting incidents per year back in the late 80's , they mandated the orange vests...what a mess that was - that's what we need to avoid

Also God forbid the day some fool shoots a non-hunter/hiker/mushroom picker on public land and a Anti- hunter with a good law firm makes a class action suit out of it and all wma's are blocked for hunting usage  

thank you again for bring to our attention such a important issue  :icon_thumright:

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Kylongspur88

Full camo and rifles = bad things. The people in the county in VA where I go to school are big fans of their AR's for turkey hunting. I know it's been hard on the turkey population with no CO here. Some of these guys stack them up at long range.

WyoHunter

Rifles are legal here in WY. I wish they would be outlawed to cut down on the road hunting that's prevalent in the NF. It's turkey shooting not turkey hunting IMO.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

gobbler74

Yes, banning rifles is just another ban and more lawyered up ammo from the court decision for anti hunters..I don't turkey hunt with a rifle but I support the 2nd ammendment whole heartedly. Road hunters and outlaws won't change because of new laws.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

outlaw

the road hunters are bad here i know a guy that killed 5 before the season came in and baits to we said something  to the law and they did nothing i caught one day  before  the season came in and  they didnt check on it :newmascot:
Im a good guy !!!

VAHUNTER

Quote from: gobbler74 on June 12, 2011, 07:28:59 AM
Yes, banning rifles is just another ban and more lawyered up ammo from the court decision for anti hunters..I don't turkey hunt with a rifle but I support the 2nd ammendment whole heartedly. Road hunters and outlaws won't change because of new laws.
good point Jim. i live 3 miles from the W.VA line. there season comes in real late. so they start killing birds a month early. not just a couple of bad apples doing this. it is common knowledge between turkey killers in this area. they do not stay on there side of the line and most start feeding corn in early Feb and keep the ground yellow way into there season.so i do not think banning rifles will change a thing
Good things come to those who wait

outlaw

thats what the young boys are doing here up above my house and  down on another  road to :newmascot:
Im a good guy !!!