turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

No Gobbling Here

Started by rifleman, April 13, 2022, 02:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman

In my part of Clarke County, VA the birds are not talking at all.  Saturday I heard two birds gobble three times between them. But I have managed to call in a few hens.  Yesterday I was sitting a good area calling occasionally.  I looked down through the woods and see a lone gobbler walking by about 65 yds away.  I call softly, he turns and starts my way but two hens walk in and he shows off but finally he just eased off down the hill and the girls went to the right.  Actually he seemed disinterested in the gals except for fanning, etc. My brother has been hunting good ground in Loudon Co. and has not heard a bird.

VA Gobble Addict

Been hard getting gobbles in Powhatan, VA.  They dont seem fired up yet and it seems like its running a little later than normal this year.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

kloppy

Interesting. Where I was in VA last weekend, I dont think the birds could have gobbled more if they tried. Of course no one knows why a turkey does what it does!

WV Flopper

I heard turkeys this morning in Frederick county, very close to Clarke county.

Where I am at a mob of Jake's are screwing everything up. Three days of hunting and three times I have had to endure these punk A thugs. Today had a long beard off the limb at 15 yards on my gun side and couldn't move. He went by, I looked behind me so I could reposition, no gobbler. Turned around and five Jake's comes through on a tare. They went by me and I would guess 45 seconds later caught up to the gobbler.

I called a little, hoping the gobbler won, nope here they came. I stayed in there until 930 and I could never find that gobbler again. Maybe he flew to Clarke county?

Did find some mushrooms in Shenandoah county after I had my belly full of the jakes.

HillclimberWV

Augusta county was rough Saturday and monday. Didnt hear a gobble or a gunshot but i did call in a hen. Had to go back to work sadly.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

dzsmith

whats real discouraging is not hearing a gobble for days, nobody you know personally hears a gobble for days, but the state has record level harvests for opening week. makes you wonder....and the county you happen to be hunting kills more turkeys in 6 days than it kills in 14 days the previous year....
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

timberjack86

Quote from: dzsmith on April 13, 2022, 09:18:35 PM
whats real discouraging is not hearing a gobble for days, nobody you know personally hears a gobble for days, but the state has record level harvests for opening week. makes you wonder....and the county you happen to be hunting kills more turkeys in 6 days than it kills in 14 days the previous year....
Same thing is happening to us in the mountains of East TN here. Hard to find the motivation to hunt.

DTGobble

Didn't hear anything Saturday.  Heard 2 Monday morning, gobbled good on the roost and the ground.  South central VA.

Cut N Run

I'm south of you in N.C. and have heard exactly one gobble in two 6 hour hunts so far.  The one gobble I heard was mid morning, probably following hens around.  Meanwhile, three buddies of mine already have one bird down & heard multiple gobblers each trip. 

Not panicking yet though.  I usually do best in the 3rd week of the season. 

Good hunting, have fun, & be safe.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

highcj5

Been weird this year. I've been every morning and have heard gobbles every morning. 1 farm that usually has bunch of birds, has been semi quiet?  Called in 3 yesterday off the roost and my buddy shot 1. They skirted around us and got spooky. I told him to go ahead and shoot. I had no shot. I shot 1 this am and got him right off the roost. He was gobbling good. I sat at the same spot Monday morning but had to take my son to school, so I couldn't stay, but heard 3 that morning. He was the only 1 gobbling this am?  I'm in south central VA and yesterday morning was the first shot I have heard?

RustyBarrels

Same here. I'm below Martinsville, usually a productive area. Got to be the quietest early season I can remember in over a decade. The successful thus far all are saying he "snuck in quiet"

RustyBarrels

Also, has anyone else in our neck of the country noticed the wind these past two Springs? What's goin on?

Tail Feathers

I went out this morning to do a little scouting for our opener next Friday.  I heard 10-11 gobblers.  I sure wish season opened sooner!  They gobbled good on the roost but mostly not too much after flydown.  But then, I didn't call to them. 
I had one going off at 9am to a crow, he seemed to be pretty hot.  I saw a big old strutter way down a pipeline.  He looked like a Volkswagen Beetle with the trunk open strutting out there.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RiverBuck

I was out on a farm south of Lynchburg this morning and didn't hear a turkey.
The woods still look like the end of November with hardly any leaves on the trees.

Greg Massey

I've heard some gobbling on the roost and non after fly down to speak of .. not had a good working bird all season so far. The weather has been terrible in my area. storms, storms, storms, cold weather, sleet/snow and WIND and such. I've not had 2 good clear sky days with good warm temp in 17 days of spring season opener.