OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sauer SL5 Turkey?

Started by ChesterCopperpot, April 12, 2022, 07:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Ridge Rooster

Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

lowoctane

Great...just when I've talked myself into pairing down my toys. :TrainWreck1:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

the Ward

Nice looking gun. Every manufacturer it seems is jumping on the turkey gun market these days. Just my personal preference, but If your going to make a dedicated turkey model, then why not get rid of the vent rib and put a good set of iron sights on it? And ditch the oversize bolt handles, they get hung up on everything, and are especially bad on an inertia gun for causing the dreaded "benelli click". 10" numbers looked low in the tests, could just be the ammo/choke combo.
Article is kinda nonsensical though. Didn't know i could change my pattern by shooting offhand vs off a lead sled. Could have saved a bunch of money i spent on chokes!
All in all it looks like a great quality gun, comparable to a Benelli m2. A little choke and ammo change and it would be a nice gun to hit the spring woods with, and with a cylinder bore choke would make a nice slug gun for deer.

shatcher

Looks good.  Pricey.  I don't understand why these high dollar gun companies don't partner with a choke maker and have that thing lights out where everybody is talking about it.

lacire

I remember Breda had an auto in the 70's, I bought a Winchester Super X at about that time. I don't think Breda were ever very popular here in the states, maybe the Sauer name will push there sales a little better now. The gun might put in some competition in the 12ga. class for Franchi and Benelli, but I wouldn't trade in my Benelli 20ga. for one.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

TurkeyReaper69

Bumping this thread up.

Anyone gotten their hands on one of these the last few months? I am going to look at one tomorrow and see if I like it. Any pros/cons you noticed after getting out in the field with it?

Greg Massey

Fair looking gun,, but for the price i would buy another Franchi before buying one of these SL5 ... IMO

Tom007

Looks like a great gun, but I am surprised it is only a 3 inch, and not 3 1/2?  Even though a lot of hunters don't use 3.5, the competition for this gun does offer it. It is a quality looking gun however....
"Solo hunter"

BandedSpur

That is one pathetic patterning shotgun/choke system. I would be embarrassed to publish those numbers. Color me completely uninterested.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: BandedSpur on June 01, 2022, 08:18:16 AM
That is one pathetic patterning shotgun/choke system. I would be embarrassed to publish those numbers. Color me completely uninterested.
Still haven't gotten my hands on one. I'd really like to shoulder one before purchasing. I'm sure I'll find a choke and shell combo that the SL5 appreciates.

Ridge Rooster

Resurrecting this post as I bought one of these last year after season and have ran a few shells through it. It has the Benelli Mobile choke system so I installed a Indian Creek .665 and shot a few patterns with excellent results. I handload so I have not finalized a shell yet but it does equally as well as my 21" M2 in numbers with TSS 9's. The only grip I have with gun is the issue with the factory holes in the top of receiver.  It appears that the receiver is tapped with some strange thread pattern so you are stuck with factory picatinny rail and there are several holes that are open and after contacting the manufacturer there are no filler screws available.

Ridge Rooster

Rockhound

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on January 11, 2024, 07:34:10 AM
Resurrecting this post as I bought one of these last year after season and have ran a few shells through it. It has the Benelli Mobile choke system so I installed a Indian Creek .665 and shot a few patterns with excellent results. I handload so I have not finalized a shell yet but it does equally as well as my 21" M2 in numbers with TSS 9's. The only grip I have with gun is the issue with the factory holes in the top of receiver.  It appears that the receiver is tapped with some strange thread pattern so you are stuck with factory picatinny rail and there are several holes that are open and after contacting the manufacturer there are no filler screws available.

Ridge Rooster

I've got one as well, love the thing. I took the factory Pic rail off, tapped one of the existing holes and mounted a sumtoy base and a holosun 507.

Ridge Rooster

Which hole did you tap? Sent you a PM.

Thanks
Ridge Rooster