OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rib vs receiver mount

Started by Swampfoxforeman, April 06, 2022, 09:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampfoxforeman

I have a BPS 16, and I'm trying to decide on having the receiver tapped and drilled or use a rib mount for red dot. Thoughts? Positives and cons of both?

USMC0331

Only con for me with a receiver mount is I do not want the receiver drilled into. It is a solid option though. I use a rib mount on my 870 and thus far have zero complaints. Only con vs receiver mount it is not as esthetically looking.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

DMTJAGER

My apologize if I error but I don't know much about the BPS line of shotguns. I know they make saddle receiver mounts for 20ga BPS shotguns.

Any chance the dimensions for a 20ga BPS are the same as for a 16ga BPS? I would think as a matter of cost savings in manufacturing Browning might have used the same receiver dimensions as used in the 20ga BPS to make the 16ga BPS.

If you haven't considered this option it should be free to order a 20ga BPS saddle receiver mount to see if it will work on a 16ga BPS.

CrustyRusty

I drill and tap my own receivers after having really bad experiences with "gunsmiths".  But, I have the tools and I am comfortable doing it. If you find someone competent, like Sumtoy then go for it, otherwise you may get your receiver screwed up.  That to me is the biggest drawback.

So having said that, I would probably use a rib mount that can be taken off and put on whenever you like without altering your receiver or potentially ruining it.

Tom007

I use both. The rib mount is further forward. At first, I did not think I would like it, but I do. The field of view being able look right around the optic to pick up a moving bird through cover is a plus. Being more forward on the rib is definitely not a disadvantage, in fact, I like it.....
"Solo hunter"

lacire

Quote from: Tom007 on April 07, 2022, 12:09:38 PM
I use both. The rib mount is further forward. At first, I did not think I would like it, but I do. The field of view being able look right around the optic to pick up a moving bird through cover is a plus. Being more forward on the rib is definitely not a disadvantage, in fact, I like it.....

I just received my Meadow Creek rib mount a few days ago and mounted it with a Burris ff3. I haven't sighted it in yet just practicing with it in the yard. It reminds me of a scout rifle having the sight forward like that, both eyes open and a big field of view. I also like it.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

lunghit

I am really liking my Meadow Creek rib mount with the FF3 on it.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

ChesterCopperpot

I feel exactly the same, Tom. I thought I'd hate it being that far forward but now I think it's an advantage. I sight in a bunch of guns for a local gunsmith and I don't like the sight on the receiver at all now. Looks good but seems much less functional to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampfoxforeman

Thank everyone for their thoughts

SumToy

Drill and tap your receiver.   Do you see any high end rifles with the sight on the barrel.   They a few things to think about on the barrel that will come into play.      Now if you do put on the rib drill and tap it.   Not a thing is clamp on that gun from the factory. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 07, 2022, 02:59:46 PM
I feel exactly the same, Tom. I thought I'd hate it being that far forward but now I think it's an advantage. I sight in a bunch of guns for a local gunsmith and I don't like the sight on the receiver at all now. Looks good but seems much less functional to me.

Amen Dave, field of view is exceptional without taking your head off the sight.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Solo hunter"

Spurs Up

+1

Swampfoxforeman

I ordered the meadow creek rib mount and a Vortex Venom combo today.