turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Crystal mistress conditioning help

Started by RiverRoost, March 21, 2022, 08:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

My crystal mistress only wants have a good solid "grip" for a few calls before the conditioned spot I'm calling on gets a "dull" color to it and smoothed out. I typically just use some scotch brite to run back over it and it'll last a little while but gets "slick" again and while squeal or squeak sometimes. Should I be using screen or sandpaper each time instead of the scotch brite.

AppalachianHollers

I use 80 grit sandpaper on glass. I assume you want at least that or a conditioning stone for a crystal pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintage

RiverRoost

Alright thanks! Scotch brite pad after the sandpaper or no?

RLAG

I have been using some 150 drywall screen from lowes for the surface and it has worked pretty well so far as long as I keep the striker tip conditioned well. Jeff Harrison highly recommend the red scotch Brite for striker tip conditioning so that's what I've been using.

https://youtu.be/zpZbbfizMVA

Give that a look. David talks about what works best on pots

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

letinmfly

Definitely not scotch brite.  I believe David recommends 120 grit sandpaper on it.  I personally use Primos conditioning stone.  Different grits will give you different sounds so you may want to experiment.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

outdoors

Quote from: letinmfly on March 21, 2022, 11:17:48 AM
Definitely not scotch brite.  I believe David recommends 120 grit sandpaper on it.  I personally use Primos conditioning stone.  Different grits will give you different sounds so you may want to experiment.
X  2
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

raven105

This thing is a must have for glass calls and it never leaves my vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btodd00

I keep a small piece of 120grit drywall sandpaper folded up in my primos slick stick, the diamond side of the slick stick also works well on it. Never tried the stone

RiverRoost

Yeah what is the diamond side of the stick for. I have the primos but never use it

btodd00

No idea what the intended purpose is but I have wore it out on glass calls