turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

‘Unbelievable’

Started by Ridge, March 20, 2022, 10:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwhana

I am an older guy and I only have a lower post count on the site than I could have, because I try to only offer positive, meaningful responses, and avoid fluff posts and negatives, but this thread and the constant YouTube bashing is enough to make a guy do things just to get on some of your nerves.

I don't condone those long shots in his video, nor I am I backing Justin - I know nothing about him, but if anyone young or an inexperienced hunter, reads this thread, "I hate TSS", or "I hate YouTubers" threads on the site, the only real takeaway they will truly get is that there are some real curmudgeons on here that like to throw shade and any valid arguments you try make fall on deaf ears.  For clarity, by definition, a curmudgeon is a bad-tempered person, especially an old one, and some on the site must be really close to checking into the Shady Pines retirement home.  There's not a single person on here that has not bent a rule or doesn't have something hiding in their past that they never want to see the light of day, he just posted his for all to see publicly.  Saying it was wrong is one thing, but personally attacking him is a whole different thing.

After the constant barrage lately, I don't blame him or other Youtubers if they start saying every shot they take is 60+ yards, even when they are not.  Hell, I would even start chosing a state next to the one I'm actually showing in my video and randomly call out a gameland there just to get you more riled up.

As to banning TSS and decoys, I'm all for it!  Let's ban it, lead, shotguns, decoys, blinds, trucks, calls, bows, and get back to the real core of turkey hunting!  No camo clothes, just rub down with mud, and you can only hit them in the head with a stick or throw a rock like it was done back in your curmudgeon youth when you walked uphill in the snow both ways to school!  This would most certainly help reduce the harvest and help the turkey populations.

Seriously, the site has so much good content to offer without the negativity.  Some can do better or chose better ways to say things than you have lately.

Wasp

I'm with Bwhana.  The constant complaining about literally everything (YouTubers, decoys, TSS, out of state hunting, etc) really detracts from what was a good site.   This constant trolling and virtue signaling makes it seem like a therapy session rather than a hunting site. 

Hogmister13

I'm just tired of it man, I used to love this site...it used to be so informative and fun to follow... Now all you see is people starting drama and bickering about how someone else hunts, or bashing them on what they did wrong....I just never understood why people have to always try to bring someone else down over the dumbest stuff... I mean they literally go out of their way to bash someone they have never met before...What can they possibly gain from that? 

fallhnt

Quote from: Hogmister13 on March 20, 2022, 11:14:47 PM
I'm just tired of it man, I used to love this site...it used to be so informative and fun to follow... Now all you see is people starting drama and bickering about how someone else hunts, or bashing them on what they did wrong....I just never understood why people have to always try to bring someone else down over the dumbest stuff... I mean they literally go out of their way to bash someone they have never met before...What can they possibly gain from that?
Agree...they tried to pile on me before. Didn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Greg Massey

What's most important in hunting these birds is to first have respect for these birds. We are all very fortunate to have the opportunity to hunt these birds. So it's your decision in making the difference between a pleasurable outdoor experience or a disaster. As a turkey hunter it's all up to use to make a safe and intelligent shot to make a good clean kill regardless what gun and shells we are using. I think we all sometimes get caught up in all this new turkey madness. Again it's not so much the kill at different ranges, it more about the hunt and having the opportunities in chasing these birds, it's about being proud of yourself and the time you spent in practicing with your equipment and out in the field scouting and knowing you did everything in your power to be successful in harvesting your gobbler. Regardless of what some may think on this forum or about this forum, it gives everyone a place to voice opinions. I have been on this forum for a long time and Shannon has done an UNBELIEVABLE job in controlling behavior and showing restraints. Everyone has a choice to stay or leave the forum at any time. What we all need to do is learn from this post in seeing it probably wasn't the right choice in taking those shoots. Again one of the best ways to learn is from the mistakes we make. So let's be the bigger person and realize we all learned available lesson today.

deerhunt1988

More spam by Hogan? Who would have thought!

When multiple people get tired of you spamming your videos everywhere (multiple forums, multiple Facebook groups)......When multiple people give you constructive criticism and you get your feelings hurt.. Maybe its not the forum's fault and you should take a look in the mirror? It's obvious you love the attention, or else you wouldn't spam your videos all over every corner of the earth. I didn't watch the video (like another poster said, I'm not giving you a 'click'), but I wasn't surprised in the least by its content after seeing your video posts EVERYWHERE.

Thank you for taking the trash out (the video). But before you get all defensive and go calling everyone a "hater" that disagrees with you or offers criticism... Maybe you should actually pay attention to what "the haters" have been telling you all along. There's some saying about folks who think everyone else is the problem, but I can't think of it right now.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: Hogmister13 on March 20, 2022, 09:35:06 PM
First of all you are entirely wrong about the hunt and need to get your facts straight before making me out to be somebody I'm not. I respect the game and the bird just as much as the next guy passionate turkey Hunter. The first bird I judged to be close to 60 yards which is a very makable  shot for my buddies setup... have you not seen what tss does on paper at 60 yards!!! ... I dont recommend shooting one that far and I admited to the bad judgement but don't call me a tool or a clown... y'all just a bunch of keyboard warriors that ain't got nothing better to do than hate on people lol ...So back to the hunt... my buddy smoked the first bird at 66 steps and the other bird flew up and landed behind it .. you have to realize this is an open field with a small rise in it so that just adds to the difficulty level of judging the yardage.. like I said, everybody has taken an unethical shot before, I'm owning up to our bad judgements but don't call me a clown or tool bag when you don't know me personally....You took a screenshot of a YouTube thumbnail and using that as your judgment toward me... You a liar if you say you have never squeezed off an unethical shot...
Peep my previous comment Justin. The hunt truly just starts at 60 yards. Just because you CAN shoot that far, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Misjudged a 60 yard shot and it was further at almost 80? Same difference IMO, if your goal is 60 why not shoot till 80. I would be embarrassed. I have messed up before myself, I killed a turkey with XR Longbeards at 71 yards years back. Was it intentional? Absolutely not. Did I go and post a YouTube video about it ? No. No wonder it's so acceptable now a days to bust em that far, folks like yourself and ammo industry influence folks opinions!

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on March 21, 2022, 05:57:14 AM
More spam by Hogan? Who would have thought!

When multiple people get tired of you spamming your videos everywhere (multiple forums, multiple Facebook groups)......When multiple people give you constructive criticism and you get your feelings hurt.. Maybe its not the forum's fault and you should take a look in the mirror? It's obvious you love the attention, or else you wouldn't spam your videos all over every corner of the earth. I didn't watch the video (like another poster said, I'm not giving you a 'click'), but I wasn't surprised in the least by its content after seeing your video posts EVERYWHERE.

Thank you for taking the trash out (the video). But before you get all defensive and go calling everyone a "hater" that disagrees with you or offers criticism... Maybe you should actually pay attention to what "the haters" have been telling you all along. There's some saying about folks who think everyone else is the problem, but I can't think of it right now.
Justin will probably be taking a break from this site, but make no mistake he will continue to cater to the goobers on Facebook. Other than some "notorious trolls" I think were his words in a FB group a few weeks ago I don't think he's used to much push back. Just a wanna be YouTuber, tries to spam videos everywhere to up his following. He will never have a following like the big names he aspires to be. Like DH said, I won't give you a click or a view as I don't consider someone posting videos of 78 yard shots to be worthy of my time.

bigriverbum

was at the range yesterday with my nephews. they were shooting their .22 at 80 yards.

as i walked out to put up their targets i noticed a turkey patterning target.

like 6 hits on the entire 3'x2' target.  IF their intention was trying to pattern a gun for turkeys, take one guess as to where they got the notion that was a good idea.

g8rvet

Well said Greg Massey.  You are a frequent voice of reason.  I appreciate you and your posts.

Admit my mistakes?  Are we talking just turkey hunting, because if not I ain't sure we have enough time to read all those.

Turkey hunting?  Misjudged a field bird once-there was a little sprig of dog fennel I used that I had stepped off at 40.  I was shooting the old Remington hevi in 12 gauge.  Bird is gobbling and walking sideways and got a little boogery and he was standing right next to that fennel when he popped his head up. I shot him.  When I got out there I realized it was the wrong dog fennel. I paced at 47, so about 44-45 yards. 

I messed up a dude on a private lease I was on.  We were supposed to hang a tag and stay within a certain distance of the pin.  Bird gobbled and I went through the thick area- there was a guy closer and there had been no pins there when I checked in.  Totally me being a jerk and thinking I could get away with it. I apologized profusely and gave him hot intel after every hunt the rest of the year.  We are now good friends and we hunt together regularly. 

Posted or not posted, I owned up and realized what I did was outside my personal range of ethics.  I did not blame someone else, nor did I say what I did was not wrong.  I messed up, I apologized and I attempted to make it right the best way I could.  About all we can do. 

Also, sorry this is long winded. But my experience with turkey hunting (and duck hunting) is that there have been the "defenders of the sport" long before Al Gore invented the interwebs.  It is just easier for them to preach.  There is nothing wrong with giving an opinion on a message board provided it is not trolling and not personal (saying you did a dumb thing is different than saying you are dumb).  I don't really know what a hater is.  Does that mean jealous? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

dublelung

Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on March 20, 2022, 05:06:38 PM
My man, stop watching YouTube turkey hunting. This incident is not exclusive to this guy. That little skinny redneck from TN that y'all like to watch put out a video of one getting shot out of a tree. There are stories about THP and Hollywood Dave Owens you wouldn't be real impressed with either.

And when I say stories, I mean first hand account, not some hearsay.

Quote from: aclawrence on March 20, 2022, 05:01:42 PM
I enjoyed some of his other videos but when I saw the thumbnail for this one I was like nope....unsubscribe. I saw the disclaimer but I didn't watch the video. No excuse for getting 40 and 77 yds confused IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you didn't witness it and heard it from someone else then it's ........ HEARSAY.

As for the original post topic, Big Jeremy conversed with the fella and he agreed to take the video down. That's how communication and genuine concern works.