turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Full Moon / Gobbling

Started by Greg Massey, March 18, 2022, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Do you feel the full moon affects the next morning gobbling? Do you think gobblers are more nervous during that part of the moon phase?

tal

If I could say with certainty what makes a bird gobble I'd be a rich man. So many factors come into play with temperatures, wind, dewpoints, etc. I like a still bright night as day breaks, my experiences are usually good under those kind of conditions. I wouldn't say they are more nervous, if anything with eyes and ears not hindered they are relaxed in a predator sense.
I do keep track of moon phases, opener here is under a full one.

Dtrkyman

I went in really early to set up under a roosted bird, two hours before any hint of day light, full moon.  Got out of the truck and some Coyotes let loose and the whole farm was gobbling!

They hit it like it was first light the whole walk in!

Clear crisp mornings are consistently the best gobbling!

turkeymanjim

I think the barometric pressure has alot to do with gobbling more so than moon phases. When there is a spike of high pressure moves in, it seems to get them to gobble more.
Just my opinion

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Tom007

Interesting post. One thing for sure, Full moon lights up our walk in to set up, especially if you hunt farms, power lines, open areas. I'll bet they can see movement during the full moon better, thus probably effecting gobbling....just my thoughts...
"Solo hunter"

fallhnt

Don't know about gobbling but they can sure see better.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

GobbleNut

I have never noticed a correlation between gobbling activity and moon phase, but then again, I also haven't really noticed any correlation between my turkey calling and a gobbler showing up.  ;D  I have noticed that on those full-moon mornings, I tend to not fall down as much when I am heading towards a roosted gobbler in the dark.  Not sure what it is, but there has got to be something there...   :)

Being the deep thinker I am, after many decades of doing this I don't know any more today than I did fifty years ago in terms of what makes a turkey decide to gobble on a particular day and not on another one that seems to be identical to me.  I just stumble into the woods in the dark every morning hoping that this will be the morning they choose to gobble.   :D

A few years ago, however, I did notice that on two consecutive mornings in which the conditions seemed to be identical to me, the turkeys gobbled like crazy on the first and the woods were (almost) dead silent on the next.  I'm not talking about an area with just a couple of gobblers here either.  The first morning there were at least a dozen birds whoopin' it up for close to an hour at daybreak.  The next morning I heard two distant gobbles in the same spot! 

Now, I would have attributed some of that to the awareness of the birds to hunter disruption, but as far as I could tell, I was the only hunter in the area and I had only hunted a couple of the gobblers on the edge of the entire area. Something else was involved, but I have no idea what it might have been. 

The one firm conclusion I have come to is that the synapses in my brain fire about as often as my shotgun does when I am turkey hunting...   :angel9:

ferocious calls

When the moon is full it is most often clear skies. Clear skies often correlate with high barometric pressure.  High pressure = more gobbles.

Zobo

Here's a thought based on zero scientific evidence, merely conjecture and creative thinking. Maybe they gobble more because, as others have mentioned, with more light, they are more "awake" and revved up to mate. It's an earlier anticipation than a normal morning and probably drives them a little crazy. Sorta like how we get hungry when see or smell something good cooking on the stove.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

GobbleNut

Quote from: ferocious calls on March 19, 2022, 09:14:14 AM
When the moon is full it is most often clear skies. Clear skies often correlate with high barometric pressure.  High pressure = more gobbles.

I will also add that when the moon is full and there ARE cloudy skies, and then the moon comes out from behind the clouds,...well, you know the story...that is a good time to stay out of the woods altogether...   ;D :angel9:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 18, 2022, 11:24:58 PM
Clear crisp mornings are consistently the best gobbling!
Quote from: turkeymanjim on March 18, 2022, 11:32:18 PM
I think the barometric pressure has alot to do with gobbling more so than moon phases. When there is a spike of high pressure moves in, it seems to get them to gobble more.

I agree on both statements. I've also noticed that on some mornings that the weather is right, and I expect extreme gobbling, there isn't much. Conversely, on some humid and warm mornings when I expect to hear very little gobbling, the toms tear it up. ??? Who knows?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Harty

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 19, 2022, 11:02:03 AM

I will also add that when the moon is full and there ARE cloudy skies, and then the moon comes out from behind the clouds,...well, you know the story...that is a good time to stay out of the woods altogether...   ;D :angel9:

Ahwhoooo....I will keep you're recommendation in mind!

Greg Massey

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 19, 2022, 11:02:03 AM

NOW stop scaring the children ...  :TooFunny:

squidd

Had one gobbling his head off before shoot time as a full moon was setting.

Just like me, I'm sure they see better and more shadows with a full moon??

joey46

Strictly a guess but I'm betting a gobbler that roost within sight/sound of hens doesn't gobble much.  What would be the point?  We had a full moon this morning.  Some roost gobbling then quiet after flydown.  Always a best guess wait and see. :turkey2: