OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alloy Pot Calls

Started by Cutt, March 15, 2022, 05:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Something different in a pot call, never heard of them, all their calls have an aluminum pot.

https://www.alloycalls.com/turkey-calls/pot-calls

callmakerman

I have a couple of their strikers and pots. The aluminum surface wasn't a favorite. Strikers had screw on shafts if I remember right or maybe the heads could be weighted. They were done well. I also have a prototype aluminum pot with a green slate suface which is a very good sounding call. I say prototype as it's a shinney aluminum pot that has pot dimensions written on it. Was told it was a call developed after feedback received in Nashville from other call makers about five years ago.

Josh_Alloy_Calls

@callmakerman
I would love to see which calls you have.
You are correct in saying the strikers with the aluminum tops could be weighted. 
The tapped hole in the top of the striker was there for fixturing when I machined them, but it also allowed you to add set screws to add weight if needed.
As far as the pots that were made the same time as those strikers.
Very few of those made it out of the shop, but they are good calls with a different striker.   The aluminum topped striker needed much more work. 

I am way past those calls now.  That call design was probably 40 designs ago!!
I do a ton of prototyping with these pots because the aluminum pot is extremely difficult to get right.
The only way to get it right is to keep swinging the bat and try new stuff to chase the sound.
Luckily for me, I enjoy the challenge and the work.
I am finalizing my newest design now, which makes the calls easier to run. 
The pots now are 100% capable in capable hands.    After going to a show I quickly realized that very few turkey hunters can run a pot call correctly.   I want to battle that the best I can.

If you have time, I would love to see a picture of what you have from me. 
Have a good one!!
Josh

Swamp

Quote from: Josh_Alloy_Calls on March 16, 2022, 12:14:44 AM
@callmakerman
I would love to see which calls you have.
You are correct in saying the strikers with the aluminum tops could be weighted. 
The tapped hole in the top of the striker was there for fixturing when I machined them, but it also allowed you to add set screws to add weight if needed.
As far as the pots that were made the same time as those strikers.
Very few of those made it out of the shop, but they are good calls with a different striker.   The aluminum topped striker needed much more work. 

I am way past those calls now.  That call design was probably 40 designs ago!!
I do a ton of prototyping with these pots because the aluminum pot is extremely difficult to get right.
The only way to get it right is to keep swinging the bat and try new stuff to chase the sound.
Luckily for me, I enjoy the challenge and the work.
I am finalizing my newest design now, which makes the calls easier to run. 
The pots now are 100% capable in capable hands.    After going to a show I quickly realized that very few turkey hunters can run a pot call correctly.   I want to battle that the best I can.

If you have time, I would love to see a picture of what you have from me. 
Have a good one!!
Josh
Played one of Josh's  calls at Unicoi this year one of my friends had one and brought it out by the fire. And I'll tell you this it got everyone's attention that was sitting around the fire that night. Josh really has something special with the calls he's putting out.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

callmakerman

I want to say that I sent Josh a message and I'll put it here. The aluminum call is very well made that I bought but didn't have the sound I was looking for. The aluminum green slate was an outstanding sounding call. I apologize as I had no intention of offending him. Just a bad choice of words.

Josh_Alloy_Calls

No offense taken at all!!
As I said in the message, us call makers need tough skin.
Everybody has a turkey they are looking for in a call.
The first calls I offered for sale are not representative of my calls now. (The one that had like 16 sound holes in the back)
If I could go back in time I would!!

We are on the same page Callmakerman, no need to apologize!!

callmakerman

Here's the Alloy pots and strikers I bought.

Josh_Alloy_Calls

You have some very early calls there!!

I would happily swap you a new call for that Black Bourbon if you're interested.

I will swap out the other one too if possible!!