OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Proof camo pattern isn't critical

Started by mcw3734, March 15, 2022, 01:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Nobody doubts that camouflage is beneficial to turkey hunting. Most all of us like getting camo'd up for the hunt, with some going to great lengths and costs to have guns dipped, wear a specific pattern, and ensure all possible items on their being are camo.  But I'll guess most experienced turkey hunters will honestly admit that anything that breaks up your outline, combined with being absolutely still, can be enough to beat an incoming turkey's eyes.

This is my buddy's first bird that I called in for him. He was sitting against the grey tree on the right of the photo and is standing where it was killed. And he's a 6'-3" ginger. This photo makes me giggle every time I see it.

Anybody else have kill photos of a hunter with non-traditional camo outfits to prove that camo pattern isn't THAT critical?

Happy

I have some of my buddy's Tom from last year but I ain't gonna throw his picture up without his permission. He typically wears the old military woodland camo. Also I have seen video footage of Ray Eye killing them in blue jean bibs and brown carhart bibs. If the set-up is right camo is not required. In my opinion it definitely helps to wear camo of some sort though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

GobbleNut

Unless you want to look like a total Goob in the eyes of your fellow turkey hunters, always wear the latest and greatest camo patterns!  If you do not fully coordinate your camo on all exposed parts and accessories, you will most assuredly be looked down upon. You will be scoffed at if you do anything less than that! Personally, I can immediately spot a wannabee in the turkey woods by the camo he wears,...regardless of how big the gobbler he is carrying is!   ;D  :angel9:

Tom007

Quote from: Happy on March 15, 2022, 08:56:20 AM
Here. I cropped his face out.

I think that old woodland camo is great, it is making a comeback on some of the new vests.....Ol Tom in particular...
"Solo hunter"

Happy

I am toying with the idea of wearing these 2 sets this year. I have killed turkeys in the set on the left. Both of these sets are probably over 20 years old. I gave my buddy in the picture all of the camo he owns. He even has a set of original treebark i gave him.

Happy

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 15, 2022, 08:58:41 AM
Unless you want to look like a total Goob in the eyes of your fellow turkey hunters, always wear the latest and greatest camo patterns!  If you do not fully coordinate your camo on all exposed parts and accessories, you will most assuredly be looked down upon. You will be scoffed at if you do anything less than that! Personally, I can immediately spot a wannabee in the turkey woods by the camo he wears,...regardless of how big the gobbler he is carrying is!   ;D  :angel9:
Well aint I the poster child for high fashion!!

Bowguy

Camo is over rated. Can't hurt but obsessing isn't necessary. I haven't worn anything but old woodland camo in years. Guys the fella wearing the brand new fangled camo, carrying a great big knife, prob has a brand new fly fishing vest neatly on a hanger as well in his Range Rover and started it all last week. Playing the part and being the part two dif things.
Who would ya all talk Turkey with? The fella wearing the faded woodland camo or the kid with the newest fad?
My daughter never wore a face mask, she hated them. Often wearing whatever hoodie she had in her closet sticking out of jacket. It never once mattered. I've said it before. Twice I've kee Keed birds in wearing red plaid jackets just to prove to a buddy it was possible

Gooserbat

I wear clothes according to function not style.  Just so happens most of my newer things are obviously in the latest pattern.  Now to address the op and his post in regards to his friend's ASAT.  That's probably one of the best camo patterns you can wear. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dtrkyman

Set up is more important, so long as you have dull colors.  THP had a guy on the other day killed one in thick cover, wore all green, no mask or gloves and solo bird.

Problems arise when multiple birds come in ahead of the tom and linger around!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 15, 2022, 09:34:34 AM
I wear clothes according to function not style.  Just so happens most of my newer things are obviously in the latest pattern.  Now to address the op and his post in regards to his friend's ASAT.  That's probably one of the best camo patterns you can wear.
Agreed. The more open patterns are better at "blending" than the crap we're buying now. They just blob out in the end.

As for camo, I don't much care. Old army stuff, real tree, mossy oak, etc. All the same to me. Heck, I've started deer hunting in red plaid. And the turkeys don't seem to mind that much either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Heres a pretty good article on turkey vision and how they determine threats.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/eyes-turkey-gobbler-sees/
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 15, 2022, 09:34:34 AM
Now to address the op and his post in regards to his friend's ASAT.  That's probably one of the best camo patterns you can wear.

I find it curious that some folks swear by that ASAT camo, but to my "human eye" it stands out like a sore thumb.  Having said that, it is what the "game animal you are hunting" eye sees that matters.  Of course, it also depends on the back-drop in any hunting situation.  One camo pattern that looks fantastic in one setting (to me, at least), looks completely out of place in another. 

As we repeatedly say in these matters:  It's all about blending into your surroundings to a degree, and staying still, regardless of what pattern one uses. 

Cowboy

The best camouflage is DON'T MOVE.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

StickString96

From all of my deer hunting experience, camo catches hunters. As long as you break up your outline and sit still, you'd be surprised what patterns you can get away with. Now a turkey's eyes might be more keen, but I think that still applies as a principle. I'll still do everything I can to camo up and beat a turkey's eyes, I do believe every little bit helps. But sometimes I think hunters pass the point of diminishing returns in camo.