turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Theft

Started by WV Flopper, March 13, 2022, 04:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

Broad topic but not really. So my question is how many of you have experienced theft while out and about on a hunt? I have been thinking of a tent, and of course gear to accommodate tent camping but am leary of leaving a tent set up with gear in side for anyone to just take at will. I really don't see the point in tent camping if I have too tare down camp every morning either.

I have NO issue with a cheap, Clean motel, none at all. I like the daily shower option, and typically a place close by to find something to eat. Sometimes, a tent camp would be more handy situated, peaceful and relaxing.

We have experienced theft issues in NY fishing several times, seems you can't have anything up there visible and or reachable. Had a friend have a 30 pack of beer stolen from his truck this year close to Albion. Another friend lost a tote with work boots and work clothes in it years ago at Pulaski. We had a hot charcoal grill stolen in Pulaski as well, rough place I guess.

So what's the thoughts on tent camping and leaving a tent set up throughout the day with no one attending it?  Seems like a donation to me.

Happy

I have personally never worried about it. However in this day and age you can't guarantee anything. One of those trail cameras that text pictures to your phone could be handy to keep an eye on things and for evidence.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WV Flopper

You are correct, I actually thought of that while typing. I would take two, surely the first would be spotted.

Paulmyr

Back in the day when it was more than just me hunting, we always looked for state parks to camp in. Now with just myself it is the back of the truck and a state park or truck stop form shower. Last on the list is a motel.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

WV Flopper

If it were an organized person I can see the benefits a topper on a truck, but the limitations of one person. Wouldn't take long to break down a canopy and cooker and move on.

Paulmyr

Quote from: WV Flopper on March 13, 2022, 07:49:17 PM
If it were an organized person I can see the benefits a topper on a truck, but the limitations of one person. Wouldn't take long to break down a canopy and cooker and move on.

I am any thing but organized. The back of my truck is a suburban. Makes an easy stretch to ignition and heat on them super chilly mourns. It's usually an air mattress and a large cooler in the back. Hunting stuff goes next to the air mattress. Pack of clothes goes next to cooler. Carry a small Coleman stove for beef stew and soup and stuff. Lots of water, bottles and gallons. Sometimes a 5 gallon water tank if I'm remote enough. Dont need a camp set up so to speak. Usually not around the truck much, sleep and moving to the next spot. Most of the time is spent in the woods.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Spitten and drummen

In the times we live in now , leaving stuff unattended is a invitation to certain people , that you were wanting to share it. Sad times.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

roberthyman14

Quote from: WV Flopper on March 13, 2022, 04:00:57 PM
Broad topic but not really. So my question is how many of you have experienced theft while out and about on a hunt? I have been thinking of a tent, and of course gear to accommodate tent camping but am leary of leaving a tent set up with gear in side for anyone to just take at will. I really don't see the point in tent camping if I have too tare down camp every morning either.

I have NO issue with a cheap, Clean motel, none at all. I like the daily shower option, and typically a place close by to find something to eat. Sometimes, a tent camp would be more handy situated, peaceful and relaxing.

We have experienced theft issues in NY fishing several times, seems you can't have anything up there visible and or reachable. Had a friend have a 30 pack of beer stolen from his truck this year close to Albion. Another friend lost a tote with work boots and work clothes in it years ago at Pulaski. We had a hot charcoal grill stolen in Pulaski as well, rough place I guess.

So what's the thoughts on tent camping and leaving a tent set up throughout the day with no one attending it?  Seems like a donation to me.
Pulaski,  that's a place I havent heard about in bout 30 years.  Born in CT. And lived there until I was around 12.  Have an uncle who lives in NY.  My dad and some of his friends used to salmon fish in Pulaski

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I have spent hundreds of nights camping and hunting in recent years, finally in Arizona someone stole my cooler full of food and water, luckily I had just gotten to my hunt and did not unload any of my camping gear.

The past two season prior I spent a week in the same spot and left camping gear all week without issue, the scum bags could have left my water in the freaking desert!  Was on a deer hunt.

I put my gear back in my rig most of the time now.

Wvdanimal

I've spent nearly 30 years dealing with scum of the earth  in my career.   I've always said a thief is as bad as a child molester and I'd be happy to pull the trigger or flip the switch on every...  one of them.  People just suck and it gets worse as time goes it seems.  In my retirement I'd kinda like to be given an unlimited tag for scum and meth heads and sit on the high bank overlooking a wma parking lot with my Creedmoor.  Just for fun of course.....

wvmntnhick

Just depends where I'm at I guess. Lock up as much as you can. I'll assume the truck will be close by. Anything with real value gets put in there before leaving. The stuff with little/no value...no big deal I guess. Regardless, losing stuff sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dublelung

It depends on the area and the type of people who live nearby. Most of the time I'd say it's locals who steal your stuff but there's a few bad apples amongst us who would steal from a fellow hunter. I've never had anything stolen or pilfered at a campsite but I don't leave much laying around. I only leave chairs, cooler, water container, and whatever is inside tent but I do put a small lock through the zippers just to keep the honest ones honest. Cell cameras are also an option. Put one higher than normal in a tree overlooking your camp site. You'd at least get a look at them while they stole your stuff.

WV Flopper

Kind of what I figured...

Tents almost a K, add gear well over a K. Tent would be easier for two or more people but who wants to spend an hour in the dark packing up camp and then an hour in the evening setting camp back up.

Did I mention I like a cheap Clean motel. Maybe I should just stick with that method and leave the girls canvas tent at home.

justin.arps

Sad times we live in.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: WV Flopper on March 14, 2022, 07:13:52 PM
Kind of what I figured...

Tents almost a K, add gear well over a K. Tent would be easier for two or more people but who wants to spend an hour in the dark packing up camp and then an hour in the evening setting camp back up.

Did I mention I like a cheap Clean motel. Maybe I should just stick with that method and leave the girls canvas tent at home.
Or...just find the right guy to go with. Just saying.