OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to save hayfield turkeys/nest

Started by decoykrvr, June 08, 2011, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

The following technique is used to find field nesting birds for field surveys and works great to prevent mowing over turkey nests.  Take approximately 50 feet of heavy cord or nylon rope with a hand loop or handle made w/ dowell rod or a 10" piece of garden hose w/ the line run through it and attach 6" pieces of 2" PVC pipe at 5-6 foot intervals (I just drill a single hole in the PVC and pass a loop through and then over to secure to the line).  I make flags out of 6' pieces of river cane w/ surveyors tape tied to the top and walk the field in parallel passes dragging the line and PVC through the field.  When you flush turkeys, quail. etc. mark the location and carefully locate the nest.  Place a flag to mark the nest and leave a 4-6 foot uncut swath around the nest when mowing.  If you leave a sufficient border the bird will return to the nest and finish incubation.  This technique is time consuming, very tiring, and extremely effective in saving the nest of ground nesting birds and for moving fawns.  The rewards are more than just saving nests and I have incorporated it into an annual event utilizing the brawn of the "Jakes" that are annually invited to a "Jakes" hunt on our farm as a fun way to educate new hunters and tally nest #'s.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Borat

Quote from: fallhnt on June 08, 2011, 01:12:37 PM
Try this:DO NOT MOW!!!

Are you serious?  We're not talking about Harry Homeowner here.  To facilitate your understanding of what you've just said, it would be the equivalent of me telling you to NOT GO TO WORK. 

spaightlabs

ever heard the saying 'gotta make hay while the sun shines'?  Gotta cut when ya can, and let her grow for the second cut...

BrowningGuy88

You must not have livestock or big fields. I can't keep my cattle if I don't cut my pastures for hay to feed through the winter. Makes me sick to cut over a nest or kill a fawn, but I certainly am not going to quit cutting my hay over it.

outlaw

that sounds  great  but our fields are 20 acers or more
Im a good guy !!!

socalturkeyman

lol I wouldnt stop mowin but I would hire some kids a pay them a few bucks just to walk the fields with decoykrvr way. Sound like you would save lots of turkeys,quail and fawns. Good post.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy