turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One or Two Piece Custom Striker

Started by jbrown, March 12, 2022, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown

Which do you prefer 1 or, 2 piece custom strikers and why? What's the pro's and con's?

espo16

If it sounds good on the caller, it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoors

Quote from: espo16 on March 12, 2022, 10:28:13 PM
If it sounds good on the caller, it doesn't matter.

I have both like he said trying M both
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

PEte_A

Depends on the maker and what they are made out of

bbcoach

I will use either one but it must be heavy.  I hate a light #2 pencil thin striker.  For me, a heavy striker seems to bring out the Best in most pots.  Also laminated strikers, Frogwood and Dymondwood, work really well on almost any pot. 

Meleagris gallopavo

I don't think it matters.  I prefer one piece strikers myself as I just like how they look.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

OsceolaDreams

Harty

I don't think it matters. I have some of each that match up best with my pots.

Spitten and drummen

Whatever works on the call. Use to love a heavier striker but figured out a light to medium when played right makes a livelier call in my opinion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Haymarket

I use mostly one piece...but noticed at the NWTF this year that the vast majority of calls entered in the contest, and the winners, are two piece. That's telling to me...

Sir-diealot

I prefer one piece striker, don't have to worry about it falling apart, that said I think that sometimes two piece strikers can sound better, though not always. Either way they've got to be a flared mushroom tip, I don't care for a flat or just rounded tip.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Both, it all depends on the maker and sound and tones I'm looking for, i don't care for any striker that i have to try and make it play just because i have that striker. I  don't care for a flare striker.. small flare or a little more rounded end yes... IMO

Zobo

Both can sound awesome. So sound wise it's a wash. However, my one piece strikers are more streamlined and generally thinner so they're less bulky to carry.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Turkeytider

Use both. Probably my favorite is a Fowler osage orange /snakewood. Also, Jeff`s ( JLH ) Frogwood will play well on anything.

Ches.

I am too new to know. Just started making pots, on my 4th one, it's addictive. I bought about 7 different one piece strikers from crgamecalls on ebay and his light green laminate plays on Aluminum, Copper, slate, and Crystal for me. So I have about a doz. different strikers, they all play, but on different surfaces, except this one. When I used to have only two aluminum pots, I had strikers I didn't carry because the didn't play or played badly. I now find they do, just need the right surface. I had read that the striker makes the call, I understood but did not understand to what extent. I am no expert, but I think it comes down to the hardness of the wood and not always does a hard wood play on all surfaces. I write on the strikes what it works on so I don't forget. Just my two cents.
Ches.