Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How important would you rate fitness in your turkey hunting?

Started by RiverBuck, March 12, 2022, 05:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountainburd

It's paramount. At 42 I have a 2.5 yoa little girl so I'm always on my feet. With that being said, I take staying in shape very seriously. I hike the mountains, run, row, lift weights, etc. I can still run a mile in sub 7 minutes. But I also have a beat up body of many years or sports, dirt bikes, injuries, etc.

I cover many miles in the spring between a couple of states, and usually drop about 5-8 lbs.
I have to say though, more importantly than turkey hunting is the ability to drag a deer a long way on public land. I killed a large bodied buck three years ago on public land in Pennsylvania. My drag was 1.5 miles up a mountain. I had no other choice to get it to the truck before dark. It absolutely destroyed me but I did it. With that being said, it's a year-round thing and a lifestyle for me.

Gooserbat

It's Important... I remember every spring on opening day that I wasn't going to be like this next year.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

N2TRKYS

83% of all statistics are made up.

bowbird87

I've been over weight my entire life but always active and in sports. Over the last 3 years do to work I've been less active and haven't made up for it with exercise. I can tell you those miles hurt way more than they used to especially with any topography.