OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What are you carrying on opening day?

Started by MossyOak92, March 10, 2022, 10:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I don't even know if I will hunt opening day. Its mainly weather dependent and I kinda like for all the box call squawkers and hooty hooers to flood the roads and woods to give the turkeys a heads up that its game on. If I do go, at most I will take a bunch of diaphragm calls, a yelper of some sort, a scratch box and a pot call. A shotgun and some shells.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Nathan_Wiles

Everything but the kitchen sink on opening day. I'll look like a Sherpa guide carrying National Geographic's expedition gear up Everest.
By the end of the season I'm carrying some mouth calls in my pocket, a trumpet, a tube call and a seat cushion.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 11, 2022, 08:11:46 AM
Old timers popping in like, "Son, I bubble cluck and fly down cackle on a laurel leaf I pluck off the trail morning of."

I'll have you know I resemble that remark!!   ;D :TooFunny:

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 11, 2022, 08:27:18 AM
I'll have you know I resemble that remark!!   ;D :TooFunny:
I think Herb McClure mentions an old timer using a laurel leaf in his book Native Turkeys. It was either there or Nunnery's Old Pro. I will say I've tried it. You can get a cluck out of one with some practice. And if a man kills one that way, by god, he's got my attention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roosterstraw

Going with a crystal mistress, outlaw hen, buster glass, Mac slate. Watkins fiddle box. A diaphragm or two.

Tail Feathers

I'll pare it down to a half dozen mouth calls if I can.
I'll have a firedup crystal and a Pat Strawser slate in my vest.
I don't often carry a  box call and none made the opening day list.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

redjones

S&S short box,Buster red slate,Yingling titanium,couple of JLH strikers and a Ezolt wingbone as of now.

Greg
Semper Fi

Sixes

Prudhomme and/or KP trumpet, spring allure ceramic or mabry/durham/Cody slate and a.couple of Gooserbat mouth calls, Tom Swatter and Heckler. Mabry scratch box

grayfox

SS short box
Lonnie Sneed Hot hen or Outlaw Hen
Enticer Silver Thunder Extreme Aluminum
Gooserbat Classic Hen mouth call
Mike Yingling Copper/Slate
Fred Cox Red Cedar Scratchbox

Big Jeremy

Pots - Yingling copper, Halloran CM, Buster ceramic, Nathan Taylor red slate, and a Sinclair bronzed glass (I like my pots...hard to narrow it down to just 5)

Strikers -probably trim it to just JLH frogwood and tail feather, Herrman gaboon ebony and tulipwood, Remnaric tulipwood, Stuckey dymondwood, Halloran hickory, Fowler black locust, and woodhaven birch laminate.

Boxes - If I take a box (probably won't) it'll be a Mark Six wenge/mineral poplar.

Trumpets - Misfire flamed box elder and Gwaltney desert ironwood trumpets (for in case I need to bump some birds...still mastering...ha!)

Mouth calls - a few Gooserbat bacons, several each of blue and gray ghost from Pinhoti, will Primos signature series

Gun, shells, pruners...and TP!

I always take way too much with me for the first week or so. After that, I'll trim this list in half, or more, and rotate other pots, strikers, boxes, and a Crawdad trumpet in.

bowbird87

Buster red slate persimmon
Dawkins crystal
B. Roberts persimmon aluminum
TJ Johnson short box
Lewis Stowe trumpet
Assortment of strikers JLH Lyman
Houndstooth mouth calls
Harrison hooter
Pappy crow call

TJR

Billy Bush Beggin Machine
Mero trumpet
Halloran slate
Kyle Seal crystal
Shotgun and shells

saltysenior

Hook hanger

Just one call is all I will take into the woods. I like to keep it simple!

dayna105

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 11, 2022, 08:11:46 AM
Old timers popping in like, "Son, I bubble cluck and fly down cackle on a laurel leaf I pluck off the trail morning of."

Reminds me of the first time I met the wife's Grandpa. We were sitting in his yard. He plucks a blade of  grass and starts making turkey yelps. He passed before I every got to know him.