OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What is the creepiest/spooking thing you came across in the turkey woods...

Started by Sanders153, March 10, 2022, 09:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanders153

Doesn't have to be exclusively while in the turkey woods, but what is the scariest thing/scenario you have seen while hunting or scouting?..

For me, I would say coming across old and what appeared to be abandoned meth shacks and shantys in remote woods in Southeastern Oklahoma.. No shortage of those down here either

Greg Massey

One time we were hunting out of Alton Mo. near Hurricane Mill's and as we were walking down this old logging road we came upon a make shift fire pit and all these weird things hanging from the tree limb's with string. Most all of these pieces were wood with weird sayings and were all painted different colors. The next day in town we asked some of the locals at a small convenient store and they told us it was a cult or religious group and for us to stay away from that area.. We did as we were told and scouted a different area of the forest.  Man you talk about something giving you a weird feeling coming upon that in the forest was pretty scary.

Zobo

Last season I heard a sound far ahead of me on a path so I quickly sat and started the usual yelping routine. After a while of no luck I turned to my right and noticed what appeared to be a dead fawn laying right next to me. I was quite startled by the sight so I jumped up. I noticed its eyes were wide open so I gently touched its neck to see if it was alive. It didn't move at all so I walked off a little saddened. About 2 minutes later I walked back to the spot because I had forgotten my hat and the baby deer was gone. I'm assuming it was playing possum and the initial sound I heard was the fawn's mother. It did creep me out a little at first but I thought it was a pretty cool thing to see happen.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Shiloh

Got so tired one time that I thought I saw a man wearing a white sheet riding a 3 wheeler through the woods!!!

jhoward11

Me and my buddy were setting against a fence row at that 10 o'clock lull, and I dozed off, dreaming about a 10ft tall turkey running at us. I jumped so hard, and he couldn't stop laughing at me when I told him. He still reminds me to this day about that danged old bird.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Ctrize

We were locating birds in South Dakota well past dark on our way back to camp. We stopped on a back road to call into a ridgeline we could barely make out. Standing next to the truck I let out a squeal on my diaphragm call. Immediately all we heard was a large animal running at us with hooves pounding the ground. We could not see anything as the hooves got louder. Whatever it was, was coming for us . "Jeez, what the hell is that ?" My friend asked. We both jumped for the truck at the same time. We made a U-turn shining the edge with our headlights and found nothing.

FLGobstopper

Quote from: guesswho on March 11, 2022, 08:36:21 AM
A human leg

Man you can't write something like that and not share more details!

For me, a cottonmouth at head level with his mouth wide open 3 feet from my face. He was witting on top a root ball while I came across a blowdown straddling a creek  while trying to get in tight on gobbler who already flew the creek on us once that morning. My 12 yr old daughter was right behind me and a youth hunt. I don't typically carry a decoy, but we had one that morning and I'm glad I did as he came at me I blocked him with it and we both lost balance and went in the water. As we're both falling mid air I calculate his trajectory to land right in my lap and come over the top with big blow as he hits maybe a millionth of a second after me, knocking him who knows where. They talk about super human strength in times of crisis and I don't know how, but by some miracle I leapt from the chest deep water back up onto that big pine log like the bionic man in one jump.

To say my daughter was not impressed my battle with the snake is an understatement! After I calmed her down, dried her tears and dried myself off a bit, we did catch up to the slippery gobbler, who I now believe knew Mr. No Shoulders was there all along and tried to thwart our attack with his presence.

Funny I had a memory  pop up from that adventure yesterday morning and got to relive the horror and delight all over again. I'll see if I can post a pic.

Bowguy

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 10, 2022, 11:08:48 PM
One time we were hunting out of Alton Mo. near Hurricane Mill's and as we were walking down this old logging road we came upon a make shift fire pit and all these weird things hanging from the tree limb's with string. Most all of these pieces were wood with weird sayings and were all painted different colors. The next day in town we asked some of the locals at a small convenient store and they told us it was a cult or religious group and for us to stay away from that area.. We did as we were told and scouted a different area of the forest.  Man you talk about something giving you a weird feeling coming upon that in the forest was pretty scary.

That's a great idea. I'm gonna do that all over my areas and start that cult rumor! Holy smokes, great idea!!!

PalmettoRon

In a remote area of eastern AZ, came upon a large Pee Wee Herman doll nailed to a Ponderosa pine in a crucifix manner. Very weird. Left that area fairly quickly.

bushangler

Found a elderly African American gentleman  with a VERY angry emaciated dog living in a ramshackle shack on public in Alabama. It was very well hidden and in a spot I'm sure didn't get much hunting pressure. He was not very happy to see us nor was his dog!!!

Not creepy but as someone that hates snakes having 2 Copperheads in my blind in NC sure wasn't a comfortable event!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobbes

This is just a screenshot of one, but these signs make my neck all tingly.

btomlin

I don't have a hunting scare, but one morning a friend and I motored out to a large hump that we had been pounding the walleyes.   About an hr later, I noticed the the fog was getting a funny color and pulled up the radar on my phone and noticed a storm was brewing so we started to motor in.  That's when the scary started.....The storm was coming faster than anyone expected and was on us.  There was also a large bass tourney that was occurring.  Suddenly it was the sounds a high speed fishing boats blowing past but we could not see them.  We soon realized that like us, everyone was following their gps tracks back to the ramp.  After the 3rd boat had screamed by us close without being able to see it, we decided to take our chances and just pulled into a small cove and got drenched.  Luckily nothing worse.  Bass boats can go really fast....it sounded.

Number17

Quote from: bushangler on March 11, 2022, 10:39:51 AM
Found a elderly African American gentleman  with a VERY angry emancipated dog......
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That must have been one old dog! I wonder if he remembers Lincoln?
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls