OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question About The Mossberg SA-20 Turkey Semi Auto Shotgun

Started by mountainhunter1, March 09, 2022, 12:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

I'm on the verge of buying an Mossberg SA-20 Turkey version of this gun for at least a back up gun. If you go on the Mossberg website, it says under this model (The turkey edition in the 20 gauge) that this gun is only 40.50 inches long in total gun length. Well, I'm really wondering about that because if the gun has a 14.25 inch LOP and also has a 22 inch barrel (those two parts add up to 36.25 inches without adding in the receiver), one can do the math and wonder without seeing the gun if that is a misprint on the model statistics offered by Mossberg.

My question, it is obvious from posts that there are quite a few folks on here shooting this gun, so would one of you be incredibly gracious and pull your gun from the safe and offer an exact measurement on how long this gun (without extended choke length from the end of barrel added in please) actually is? I would be truly grateful for that answer from someone on here as there are no guns within driving distance where I can go and do this myself. Thanks in advance for any help to this question.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Happy

42 and 1/8th inches from the back of the buttstock to the end of the barrel. Choke tube not included

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TalksToTurkeys

My SA-20 Turkey measures 42.25" from the center of the recoil pad to the end of the barrel, excluding the choke.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Happy on March 09, 2022, 05:53:11 PM
42 and 1/8th inches from the back of the buttstock to the end of the barrel. Choke tube not included

Happy I truly appreciate you taking the time to answer that question. Just doing the math, it just did not seem that there could be anyway that gun could be as listed correctly on the Mossberg web site as 40.50 inches long in total length based on their listed LOP and barrel length.

Mossberg has basically the same gun in the 410 gauge listed on their site at 46" in total length (with a 26 inch barrel), so subtract the four inches off to get back to the SA-20 22" barrel and you are right at 42" give or take which is what your gun confirmed. But that was only a guess until you confirmed it.  I know the SA-20 is lighter than my current 12 gauge gun, but just wanted to confirm that it was also shorter in length because for me it is really just as much about lightening my load going up the ridge as how well it shoots.

THANKS Happy - I owe you and will try to return the favor to either you or someone else on this board as the chance presents itself.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

mountainhunter1

Quote from: TalksToTurkeys on March 09, 2022, 05:59:46 PM
My SA-20 Turkey measures 42.25" from the center of the recoil pad to the end of the barrel, excluding the choke.

TalkToTurkeys - your reply is much appreciated. You guys confirmed that the gun was a little longer than I originally thought, but yet still plenty short enough to do what I want it to do. Should have asked this earlier, but do you gentlemen feel that the listed weight of 5.50 pounds is pretty close to being right? Big thanks to both of you for answering my questions.

Happy

I am reading 6lbs 13oz with sling, turkey choke, sumtoy base and a swampfox kingslayer sight.
No thanks necessary. Glad to help

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TalksToTurkeys

5.5lbs. is probably about right for the bare gun. My gun weights 6lbs. 4oz. with a Vortex Venom on a SumToy base, Carlsons .575 extended choke, a claw sling, and I fabricated a comb riser out of walnut covered with the bear tooth neoprene cover.

mountainhunter1

Very helpful - appreciate both of you for all your help!!!