OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win 1300 recoil

Started by dzsmith, March 07, 2022, 07:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzsmith

Picked up a win 1300 turkey 12 guage last year. Kind of a nostalgia buy. I've always hunted with an 870. I shoot 2.25oz of tss in my turkey guns and of course my 870 kicks like a mule. Should I expect more recoil from the 1300 than my 870. I did notice itwas lighter weight with the aluminum receiver . Of course I don't notice recoil much when hunting but shooting off the bench repeatedly can be brutal. A friend of mine at work actually sold his back in the 90s and bought an 870 claiming the recoil from the 1300 created so much barrel rise he couldn't stand it . What is yals take on it . I haven't even shot it yet.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

BandedSpur

I know I wouldn't shoot it with that load. I load 1&5/8 oz of TSS in my lightweight 12ga stackbarrel, and that is all the recoil I want and all the distance I need.

lowoctane

:morning:
I own both and shoot Winchester Long Beards exclusively and really don't notice much difference between the two. I use a Lead Sled when patterning and during the hunt I never feel anything when I touch them off... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

eddie234

I have several 1300's they all kick, but like already said not much when shooting at a Turkey. I can definitely feel it after a day at the range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

paboxcall

My Buck/Tom edition 1300, shooting 2oz of #5 lead Supremes, will belt you. Buddy wanted to shoot one when we were patterning, after that experience told me he'd never shoot it again.

If I were still hunting that gun, be running Foxtrot "Mini Twister" loads using 1 5/8th oz. TSS #8s in a 2.75" shell.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Tom007

I shoot Remi 870's and 1300's. To me, the 1300 kicks way more. Reason, I can't see why. They don't seem much different weight wise, barrels are within one inch. I do think the 1300's trigger is a bit sloppy, but the patterning makes up for that. Great guns.....
"Solo hunter"

dzsmith

Quote from: lowoctane on March 07, 2022, 08:31:29 AM
:morning:
I own both and shoot Winchester Long Beards exclusively and really don't notice much difference between the two. I use a Lead Sled when patterning and during the hunt I never feel anything when I touch them off... :camohat:
.  Had to put the led sled up .... It was cracking my 870 stocks from recoil.....

dzsmith

Quote from: Tom007 on March 07, 2022, 01:53:48 PM
I shoot Remi 870's and 1300's. To me, the 1300 kicks way more. Reason, I can't see why. They don't seem much different weight wise, barrels are within one inch. I do think the 1300's trigger is a bit sloppy, but the patterning makes up for that. Great guns.....
the trigger on my 1300 is superb . And I've don't a bit of work to my 870 triggers and they aren't 1/2 as good IMO. My 870s have laminate thumbhole stocks and forends. So they are noticeably heavier than my 1300. But your answer was exactly what I was looking for . It kicks more .

mikejd

I shoot both quit often and I think there all the same.

Tom007

Quote from: dzsmith on March 07, 2022, 09:02:52 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on March 07, 2022, 01:53:48 PM
the trigger on my 1300 is superb . And I've don't a bit of work to my 870 triggers and they aren't 1/2 as good IMO. My 870s have laminate thumbhole stocks and forends. So they are noticeably heavier than my 1300. But your answer was exactly what I was looking for . It kicks more .

You are lucky, I have (3) 1300 Turkeys with the 22 inch barrel.  Only 1 has a (descent) trigger. It could just be me on the way the trigger feels. They make up for it in performance. Two of my 1300's have the laminate stocks, one has the synthetic camouflage. My Remingtons are camo and comparing weight, they are close enough to not make a difference to me...Be safe
"Solo hunter"

dzsmith

I'll will probably shoot this summer after season just for
Giggles . I know they are known for superb patterns out of 12 guage. I've seen several pushing very close to 500 in the 10 with 2 to 2.25oz loads . Very effecient.

Tom007

Quote from: dzsmith on March 08, 2022, 07:15:20 AM
I'll will probably shoot this summer after season just for
Giggles . I know they are known for superb patterns out of 12 guage. I've seen several pushing very close to 500 in the 10 with 2 to 2.25oz loads . Very effecient.

Be interested in seeing your patterns. Be safe, good luck this spring....
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

They're light.  They kick.

Turkey loads kick in any fixed breech gun. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

dzsmith

I know .I just wanted to know if it was noticeably worse in the 1300 verses the 870.

Yoder409

Quote from: dzsmith on March 13, 2022, 08:28:28 PM
I know .I just wanted to know if it was noticeably worse in the 1300 verses the 870.

OK.  Did the math.

870 Turkey 21.5" barrel weighs 8 lbs
1300 Turkey 22" barrel weigh 7 lbs

That pound will give the 1300 10%-15% more physical, FREE RECOIL than the 870 when firing the same load.

Now...........recoil pad and stock design (fit) as it relates to an individual shooter could make the difference seem like even more........or even less.  That's the unknown quantity.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.