turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey

Started by silvercabot, March 06, 2022, 09:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvercabot

Finally located a Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey and have it on the way to my FFL.   I'm curious what Red Dot folks are using for turkey hunting (the gun is predrilled for Shield RMSc-pattern).  Also, what are your experiences with the X-Factor ported choke tube that comes with the Mossberg turkey guns?  I have some Federal TSS #9's and BossTom TSS #9's to try in it once it gets here. 

Thanks all - this is the first year back in the woods for me after a long absence away from turkey hunting - can't wait to get back to Spring Thunder!

lowoctane

:morning:
Welcome to Old Gobbler! You have found the premier turkey hunting site! Please get involved with these awesome hunters!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Ridge Rooster

Held a new 940 Turkey yesterday at Buds guns in Sevierville TN. I like it a lot. If I was in need of another turkey gun that one would have came home with me. I tried the X Factor in one of my 835 and it did acceptable but replaced it with an Indian Creek. The 835 and the 940 have different bore diam. so it may do okay. Did you get the 18.5 or 24 inch barrel? Good luck with your new gun.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

silvercabot

Thanks for the reply.  I got the 24 inch as that was the only one I could find in stock.   Probably ultimately wish I had the 18 but I was worried about finding stock in time for Turkey Season here in TN.

dzsmith

Keep us updated on this gun. Very interested in its performance especially with patterning .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Gentry

I've been look at this gun as well. Keep us updated. As far as the sight, I'm using a swampfox kingslayer and really like it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skimerhorn

I think with the 940 a holosun will work?

silvercabot

I was able to get out and pattern the 940 Pro Turkey this weekend.   I am posting 2 pictures - one from shooting at 30 yards (attached to this message )and one from shooting at 50 yards (attached to the next message).  In each picture are 3 targets.  The targets are aligned as follows:

- Left target is Boss Tom Tungsten 3inch, 2 oz, #9
- Middle target is Federal TSS 3 inch, 1 3/4 oz, #9
- Right target is Apex Ninja 3 inch, 2 1/4 oz, #8.5

All of this was done with the XX Full choke that comes on the 940 Pro Turkey

In the 50 yard picture, the right target (Apex Ninja), I think I pulled left a bit so probably not the best representation.   At $12/round, didn't want to shoot it again.

silvercabot

dzsmith

Looks pretty good to me . You can realistically see the difference in the load weights on the 30 yard pictures . Would be interesting to see the 40 but I know , it's no fun shooting anymore than you already did or economical. I would say for a stock choke , that's pretty repsectable. How was the recoil compared to guns you've owned in the past ? Don't know if you came from another autoloader? Also how is the trigger ? I would expect for a jm pro , it should have a phenomenal trigger

silvercabot

Prior to shooting the TSS loads, I shot 2 shots at larger targets of just standard #8 trap loads just to make sure that I'd hit the paper.   The amount of recoil between those loads and the TSS shots was dramatically different.   Haven't shot another autoloader to compare it to in many many years.   Trigger seemed good - nothing negative at all stood out about it, but I'm also probably not the best to judge.  Choke wise, I think I'll just stay with the one that came with the gun this year - seems reasonable - maybe try out some different ones next year.  Of course I'll revisit all this if I miss a turkey this year as it would have to be something wrong with the gun, the choke or the ammo, right :-)

dzsmith

Yeah looks good. I don't think you'll be missing any birds , being the guns fault lol. So what did you hunt with prior to the mossberg ? Sorry to bug you with the questions the gun just seems interesting . It will probably be a while before I can see one in person to mess with.

mudlickman2

Quote from: silvercabot on March 13, 2022, 06:09:41 PM
I was able to get out and pattern the 940 Pro Turkey this weekend.   I am posting 2 pictures - one from shooting at 30 yards (attached to this message )and one from shooting at 50 yards (attached to the next message).  In each picture are 3 targets.  The targets are aligned as follows:

- Left target is Boss Tom Tungsten 3inch, 2 oz, #9
- Middle target is Federal TSS 3 inch, 1 3/4 oz, #9
- Right target is Apex Ninja 3 inch, 2 1/4 oz, #8.5

All of this was done with the XX Full choke that comes on the 940 Pro Turkey

In the 50 yard picture, the right target (Apex Ninja), I think I pulled left a bit so probably not the best representation.   At $12/round, didn't want to shoot it again.
Very impressive stock choke pattern.

I held the gun today and really liked it but talked myself out of buying the 24" until I see the 18" model ( they only had the 24"). Do any of you guys think the 18.5" will be too short? I like the compact size, but I've never owned or seen a hunting shotgun that short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Is the length of the 18.5 barrel for the 940 without an extended tube ?    If so you would still gain a little length depending on the tube or after market tubes ...  I wish they had one in 20 gauge ...  With that 18.5 barrel you may get a little more recoil... I'm sure as more people buy the 940 the more details we will learn about the gun.

trkehunr93

Glad to see the new gun patterns well and welcome to the board!  Just an FYI- One hard and fast rule Shannon has is no public talk about shots over 40 yards.  I know with the capability of TSS that excites alot of us as to what it's capable of but look under OG Forum Rules and you'll see it.  Gotta abide by it unless OG changes it.