OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you pay for an additional turkey stamp?

Started by RiverBuck, March 04, 2022, 05:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

joey46

To reiterate Florida very definitely has a turkey license.  The Florida problem is their unknown number of EXEMPTS.  Any resident 65 and over gets a free ride.  Not even a free senior license to at least account for the number of hunters they have stumbling around.  The amount of money lost from matching funds must be enormous.  So many things cou!d be improved if the politics was removed from fish and wildlife decisions.  Won't happen.

ferocious calls

PA offers a second tag for a price. 

For every 10 coyotes taken an additional Gobbler tag is awarded to the hunter,  in my dreams.

WV Flopper

I hunted four states last year, 2 of those required turkey permits along with a hunting license. Florida was one of them, their Turkey permit is $125.00 above the price of a hunting license. The other state, Oklahoma, was $10 a permit, I bought two of those.

Do you mean an extra tag in Florida for a 3rd bird? If so, yes I would be. It's a long week in Florida.

Maybe, next time I go I will put out a few hundred pounds of corn and shoot some hogs down there, that would be entertaining!!!

RiverBuck

The goal of this thread was to come up with with a way to improve turkey habitat on public lands.
My use of Florida as an example could be throwing some off from my lack of understanding on exactly how things are done down there.
States adoption of some type of turkey stamp in addition to hunting licenses with a large portion of the turkey stamp revenue going towards habitat improvements on public lands being the target for that cash.

Some have mentioned not trusting where the funds will actually go... I get that.

So, how do we improve the states we hunt turkey populations?
Do you think NWTF or TFT are doing anything that make a positive impact on the future of the turkey populations?
Can you think of a way that states could improve turkey hunting in turkey hunting declining areas? 

WV Flopper

So, the lack of your understanding of your example derailed your own post.

Don't worry about it, several people do it regularly here.

ChesterCopperpot

If I'm being completely honest any state I hunt could charge me anything they wanted and I'd pay it because I'm flat obsessed with them birds. They've got me by the short hairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roberthyman14

So here in Florida we don't pay for our tags.  We don't have a true tag system.  What they do to us is charge $10 for a turkey permit, we also pay $10 for a deer permit, $5 for archery permit, $5 for muzzeloader permit, $5 for crossbow permit then we pay for a hunting license and management permit for public land.  They nickel and dime us.  Not sure where any of the money goes, but gotta pay to play.   The deer permit allows us to legally kill 5 deer. Only 2 of those can be antlerless,  the turkey permit allows us 2 turkeys per season.  We have a defined fall season and defined spring season 

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

762hunter

When buying my Arkansas license to duck hunt this year I saw they had a turkey stamp so I purchased the duck and the turkey stamp.

Not against the stamp idea for any state, just hope the funds are used appropriately towards the turkeys.

Guess living in this corrupt world/city I'm a bit jaded/ pessimistic.

FYI our Mayor here sold an acre of riverfront property in downtown Memphis for $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OJR

I understand that this isn't about Florida. But, since the price of the resident turkey permit was mentioned ($5.00), I think the non-resident price should be mentioned as well. It' $125.00. They are good for two turkeys each season and are valid for one calendar year.

GobbleNut

I am all for earmarked funds for wild turkeys in any state,...as long as there is oversight by some entity that ensures that the funds are used within the framework of what they are earmarked for.  As others have stated, if the parameters for using those funds were not pretty specific to direct funding for wild turkey management programs such as habitat improvements, programs to enhance reproductive success in turkeys, and transplant programs where needed, I would likely oppose until any other frivolous uses were removed from that earmarking. 

paboxcall

Already pay for a 2nd PA tag, and would gladly pay for the first one if those funds were earmarked for wild turkey conservation.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

joey46

Quote from: joey46 on March 07, 2022, 12:07:19 PM
Quote from: OJR on March 07, 2022, 10:08:37 AM
I understand that this isn't about Florida. But, since the price of the resident turkey permit was mentioned ($5.00), I think the non-resident price should be mentioned as well. It' $125.00. They are good for two turkeys each season and are valid for one calendar year.

One Florida benefit for the non-resident is that the short term general hunting license is all that is required in addition to the $125.00 permit.  This is an big savings to the many that only come down for a few days.  The other two states I've regularly hunted do not allow the short term license to be used for deer or turkey.  Most don't.  Know a few guys that will hunt late one Florida turkey season and then have a turkey license that is still valid if they come down early the next spring.   Almost too good a deal.   

deerhunt1988

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 07, 2022, 10:35:10 AM
I am all for earmarked funds for wild turkeys in any state,...as long as there is oversight by some entity that ensures that the funds are used within the framework of what they are earmarked for.  As others have stated, if the parameters for using those funds were not pretty specific to direct funding for wild turkey management programs such as habitat improvements, programs to enhance reproductive success in turkeys, and transplant programs where needed, I would likely oppose until any other frivolous uses were removed from that earmarking.

This.

OJR

Quote from: joey46 on March 07, 2022, 12:09:53 PM
Quote from: joey46 on March 07, 2022, 12:07:19 PM
Quote from: OJR on March 07, 2022, 10:08:37 AM

One Florida benefit for the non-resident is that the short term general hunting license is all that is required in addition to the $125.00 permit.  This is an big savings to the many that only come down for a few days.  The other two states I've regularly hunted do not allow the short term license to be used for deer or turkey.  Most don't.  Know a few guys that will hunt late one Florida turkey season and then have a turkey license that is still valid if they come down early the next spring.   Almost too good a deal.   

Thanks! Guess I missed your post. It is a good deal if you can work your dates right.