OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you pay for an additional turkey stamp?

Started by RiverBuck, March 04, 2022, 05:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverBuck

Do you think it's time for other states like Florida to add a turkey permit?
With the additional revenue going toward improvements to turkey habitat.
For example, the money could go to controlled burns and select cutting of public land forests, etc...

Wvdanimal

guesswho

If I was 100% sure where and how the money would be spent, then yes.   But I'm not ready to fork over any extra money for some state official with blinders on to spend it how he sees fit.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

turkeymanjim

There should've been 1 in Pa years ago.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

greencop01

I don't think so. Osceolas are only found in Florida and only the southern half of the state. There are only so many. Time to think of the resource. :z-twocents:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

2eagles

Besides our hunting license, in Iowa we buy a tag for $26 for each bird. 2 max per year.
Pretty much the same thing.

hunter85

So are you saying buy a turkey stamp then an additional permits/tags? Cause In Florida you do have to buy a turkey stamp in order to hunt turkeys that allows you to harvest two birds a year.

GobbleGitr

Absolutely-when 100% of the money goes back to wild turkey research, habitat, etc.  Not into a general DNR coffer

Bowguy

It'd never work, soon as that money was available someone would steal it or abuse it for something not intended. Fooling yourself if you believe differently. Don't wish it so

Sixes

I paid $500 dollars  for my Georgia lifetime license and that was a lot of money too me at the time and when I bought them, it was to cover my hunting licenses for the rest of my life.

So NO, I would not pay for a license.

Would I make a donation if it was 100% earmarked to helping turkeys? Yes, but not until I saw the proof of where the money went.

What I would be in support of in Georgia is to separate deer and turkey and charge NRs a separate license fee for each game.

Will

I absolutely would, if the proceeds went to management but I'm very skeptical. Recently in Maryland this topic came up about our Sika Deer and instituting a stamp for those wanting to hunt them. People have complained about the out of state hunters, pressure and quality of the herd.

The state sent a recent survey to those hunters I'm assuming who have harvested Sika. When I took the survey, they not only questioned my thoughts on antler and doe restrictions but the amount of time spent and money spent. Questions such as how much money spent on gas, hotels and food. Immediately I assumed they considered the economic impact stamps would impose if those out of state hunters chose not to hunt them. Not only out of state but residents that travel distances to hunt the Sika since they inhabit certain parts of the state. This was very concerning to me.

That being said, if ALL of the proceeds go towards management then a big yes but with government and the current climate, I am very skeptical. I do think this is a generational problem where the younger hunters have a different mindset. I remember days as a youth wishing to just see a deer let alone harvesting one in a season. I remember days as a youth hoping to hear a gobble and it was a bonus if he answered and showed interest. My point being there is a generation that "expects" to be successful and then there is a generation that remembers the resource and where it once was. The youth today are benefiting from some very good management practices when it was about the resource and not profit.

I have seen this mindset and raised my sons about quality not quantity, different from a time when I grew up where it was "brown and down" or "if it flies it dies". I have spoken to young hunters about this before and the importance of managing a resource.

You get out of it what you put into it!

the Ward

We already have separate tags for everything other than small game, so no i don't believe i would want another fee. They already raised fees across the board by quite a bit. As a resident, it now costs over $60 to hunt turkey, that's 1 tag and one license. Oh and i also can't stand that you have to purchase a furbearer permit on top of your regular license to hunt predators. I have been hunting out of state more and more, I get a much bigger bang for my buck hunting as a non resident in PA. than i do as a resident in Ohio. Where is the money going? Not back into wildlife from what i've seen. They closed down the daily waterfowl drawings at local refuge due to "lack of interest" yea right. You used to go to an annual drawing in person to get blind permit for season, now you have to mail in and there is a fee instead of it being free. Money money money with nothing to show for it. If it isn't deer related, they won't spend much on it. 

Jbird22

Nope, just more money for Gov't agencies to misuse.

owlhoot

Quote from: GobbleGitr on March 04, 2022, 09:14:41 PM
Absolutely-when 100% of the money goes back to wild turkey research, habitat, etc.  Not into a general DNR coffer

:TooFunny:  That will never happen.